Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

23 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Zayde is on the way! 😉 

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

He is probably our future captain. When was the last time we had a kid who went into the AHL and tore it up, in his first year, let alone a fourth round pick who is only 18.  We  have had many higher picks play 2-3 years of junior and go to the AHL and hit a wall . This kid seems like an old school Flyer. It’s about time we drafted a kid with a pair of balls instead of all these timid soy boys we have been drafting for the past 10 years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

I was ALWAYS in Cooter's camp, wanting to wait him out but if people viewed him like I do Patrick....I TOTALLY get it.  I haven't seen ANYTHING from him that shows he deserved to be picked #2 overall.

Having said that, if you can get a great piece back for him, do it but I would give the kid ONE more chance, one more offseason to come back next year and look like he belongs....shite has been odd these past few seasons for him.  Hopefully it's been bad luck and not bad player.

To be honest, I would write off this year and probably give Patrick one more season, but I would send him to the Phantoms for a stretch . This team is not a real contender, I would start the rebuild and see if we can unload some veterans. One defenseman is not winning us a Cup. If some team is willing to give up a top prospect for him, then maybe you trade him. Is there any team that was real high on Patrick at the draft that may still want him? Or maybe his uncle works for another team and they would want him.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

When was the last time we had a kid who went into the AHL and tore it up

The only guys who even did that in juniors is Ratcliffe.

But that I mean at least potted 50 goals in a season. 

Just one. That has to be sad.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, mojo1917 said:

Calgary is playing like they just met and are probably not going to make the playoffs.

They're so far away that sending a good prospect won't come back to kill the team until the SCF.  

Would they make a decent trade partner ?

Everyone wants to talk about Gadreau but he's a luxury. the need imo is at the top of the Defensive depth chart. Does anyone from Calgary fit?

Does Andersson or Hanafin need a "change of scenery"?

Hanifin has looked like a top pairing guy since the Tanev signing. Last year 80% of fans were talking about moving on from him. I think the appetite to move Hanifin today is way way down. But I’d be curious to see what the Flyers would offer for him. 

If I were the Flames I think I’d hang on to Andersson unless an offer blew me away. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 4:50 PM, RonJeremy said:

To be honest, I would write off this year and probably give Patrick one more season, but I would send him to the Phantoms for a stretch . This team is not a real contender, I would start the rebuild and see if we can unload some veterans. One defenseman is not winning us a Cup. If some team is willing to give up a top prospect for him, then maybe you trade him. Is there any team that was real high on Patrick at the draft that may still want him? Or maybe his uncle works for another team and they would want him.

That's the thing though - Patrick has already hit the number of games he needs to play with the big club that he can only be sent down to the AHL for a conditioning stint. 

Honestly, I have had it with Kilger 2.0. They need to deal him and let him be someone else's problem. 

55 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's the thing though - Patrick has already hit the number of games he needs to play with the big club that he can only be sent down to the AHL for a conditioning stint. 

Honestly, I have had it with Kilger 2.0. They need to deal him and let him be someone else's problem. 

OK, even a few games in the AHL might be a good wake up call for him, maybe he will put up some decent numbers and gain some confidence. AV has benched Konecny and Meyers who have played well more than bad, yet Patrick who has been invisible has not been benched . 

Rumour mill has this as Ekholm and Arvidsson for Ghost, Gus, and picks. 

Not sure what the picks are, but i don’t hate it. Ghost seems like a trade now candidate to me, and Gus has been pretty awful. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Rumour mill has this as Ekholm and Arvidsson for Ghost, Gus, and picks. 

Not sure what the picks are, but i don’t hate it. Ghost seems like a trade now candidate to me, and Gus has been pretty awful. 

I could live with this.  As long as the pick isn't a first or if the prospects aren't York, Brink, Forester, etc.... I'm good with that

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I could live with this.  As long as the pick isn't a first or if the prospects aren't York, Brink, Forester, etc.... I'm good with that

If it's for this season, I'm fine with a first.   I'd prefer not, actually, but I'm okay.

Not any of those prospects, though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If it's for this season, I'm fine with a first.   I'd prefer not, actually, but I'm okay.

Not any of those prospects, though.

I agree. The pick will be a fairly low first rounder anyway, and we're not going to see how good that pick is in the NHL, until what 2024 probably at the earliest. 

58 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I agree. The pick will be a fairly low first rounder anyway, and we're not going to see how good that pick is in the NHL, until what 2024 probably at the earliest. 

Yeah, and I'm not bullish on this draft.

Though if Ekholm doesn't improve anything in Philly, it's likely a lottery pick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Though if Ekholm doesn't improve anything in Philly, it's likely a lottery pick.

if i’m being honest, i’m pretty doubtful Ekholm changes this team’s fortunes all that much. But if the price tag is a pair of underachievers, why not give it a shot?

I know Ghost has been decent this year, but that’s not enough to make me forget the multiple seasons of meh to gross. He absolutely feels like a trade now candidate to me. Before he reverts to his usual underwhelming self. 

the picks do bother me a bit though. They’re essentially currency, and i do get that, but if this team does end up needing a proper rebuild, the picks will become pretty essential. 

Such a mess really. I’m happy i’m not Fletch :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

So how long to do you watch them slide before you do something?

The Isles, Caps, Pens and Bruins pull further and further away.

We know how hard it is to make up ground in the Standings.

Is there a mass surgery planned for the team to remove the heads from literally every single player's ass that I am not away is coming?

Is AV waiting to just magically snap his fingers?

I ask because I don't know what more Chuckles needs to see before he dives in and pulls his drowning children from the cold and obviously to deep water?

Or is that his plan he is to scared to do anything besides trading for a Thompson or Grant type once again an attempt but nothing of real significance.

Nothing that is going to really truly help.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

i get this for sure. The question is mostly what can conceivably be done, and how much would it help? Getting Ekholm feels an awful lot like just doing something to do something. That’s not me saying we shouldn’t give it a shot, especially if the price tag is good as it looks to be if that rumour is true. I just don’t think he would make that much of a diff.

This is a team relying on star alignments to win games right now. They’re essentially playing like the same bubble team they’ve been for at least 4-5 season. I feel like it would take more than an Ekholm to change that. 

it’s very possible the only cure here is a proper sea change with some awful seasons, very high picks, good drafting, and a hard move away from the core that hasn’t managed to figure it all out. 

but, shipping out Ghost and Gus for Ekholm and Arvidsson (who is a decent mid to bottom six in his own right) seems like an improvement to me anyway, so why not give it a shot?

27 minutes ago, elmatus said:

i get this for sure. The question is mostly what can conceivably be done, and how much would it help? Getting Ekholm feels an awful lot like just doing something to do something. That’s not me saying we shouldn’t give it a shot, especially if the price tag is good as it looks to be if that rumour is true. I just don’t think he would make that much of a diff.

This is a team relying on star alignments to win games right now. They’re essentially playing like the same bubble team they’ve been for at least 4-5 season. I feel like it would take more than an Ekholm to change that. 

it’s very possible the only cure here is a proper sea change with some awful seasons, very high picks, good drafting, and a hard move away from the core that hasn’t managed to figure it all out. 

but, shipping out Ghost and Gus for Ekholm and Arvidsson (who is a decent mid to bottom six in his own right) seems like an improvement to me anyway, so why not give it a shot?

You're right.

Just strip away the dead weight. Forget the acquisition of Ekholm purge as much as you can.

I'm afraid of once you start stripping it down we all will be surprised how far it goes down...

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Isles, Caps, Pens and Bruins pull further and further away.

We know how hard it is to make up ground in the Standings.

Is there a mass surgery planned for the team to remove the heads from literally every single player's ass that I am not away is coming?

Is AV waiting to just magically snap his fingers?

I ask because I don't know what more Chuckles needs to see before he dives in and pulls his drowning children from the cold and obviously to deep water?

Or is that his plan he is to scared to do anything besides trading for a Thompson or Grant type once again an attempt but nothing of real significance.

Nothing that is going to really truly help.

There is no try; there is only do.

We're nearing -- if not at -- do or don't do.  They need to make a decision very soon (right now) whether this team is one or two key players away and do it OR decide it isn't and move a player or two that bring a retool and reshuffle for next year.  

If we wait too much longer the concept of "fix for this year" will be moot.  There is a bit more runway for the decision to unload, but even that should probably be sooner than later.

• Like 2

Half this board will hate this.

But it is beyond time to move Giroux. This isn't about Giroux hate. This is about common sense and sober weighing of evidence and clear headed asset management.

There are now nearly enough ex-Flyers coaches to staff a division.  The roster has turned over more than once. An entire generation of draft picks have come through and continue to. To what result?   What has changed, exactly?

This isn't on Giroux. Giroux is a good player. Please save the litany of, "bbb..but [insert irrelevant statement].

This boils down to the inarguable fact that he is the one constant and it (read this slowly) IS NOT WORKING.

At this point, even do it as a charity act and give him a chance to win something elsewhere.  But he still can bring a significant return and his contact term is to a point where other teams might take it without docking against the return.

If we are not going to go this season, do it now.   

Arguably the same with Vorachek, but it's hard to think he actually has much return value. Yet, if you're not going for it, move him and clear out cap and roster space and call it a win.

If you're going for it, go for it. I think it's insane to think there's a chance if you can't get Hart going, but go ahead if you think so. But then do something NOW.

If not, do the smart thing and use the chips you have available to speed up the retool as best you can.

• Like 2