Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

13 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get it, I'm not a scout nor do I have any inside information. At the same time, I knew this pick was going to blow up. I called him the Mark Jankowski of the 2018 draft. It was a reach. An incredible reach to be exact and there was no need for that. And yeah, I openly admit that I'm still hot under the collar because if O'Brien makes it, you're looking at an upside of a 3rd liner with maybe 15 to 20 goal capability. Instead, we could have had a top 4 right handed defenseman capable of playing 20+ minutes a night and in all situations or we could have had some serious legitimate Swedes to play along side Lindblom. Hextall and Pryor blew it with this pick.

I value your insight especially with the junior kids, I don't track 'em and follow the game at that level like you do so please don't interpret my comment about your anger as being hateful or critical. 

You were jacked and it stood out. So far your anger is proving to be justified. 

A thing I remember from that draft is folks were speculating that the pick was to keep the Rangers from drafting JOB, which in hindsight seems really dumb. 

The kind of pick I hope Hextall makes over and over for the Penguins. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So far your anger is proving to be justified. 

That is very debatable especially on the developmental route he took.

JO has 15 points in 13 games as a sophomore and JBD is still in college too so as long as the kid is working on his game and eventually signs and gets his shot in the AHL I could give two ducks about how he got here as long as he got here.

They path kids take mind you not grown me take in order to be the best they think they need to take is always to be disputed by outsiders.

I'm sure he discussed his plan with the Flyer brass and they were good with it.

As I asked @flyercanuck who never answered what was the kid suppose to do sit out a whole year before transferring?

That to me was not an option and he took a different route.

IDGAF as long as he becomes a Flyer in a few years.

And I am fine with no one else agreeing with me.

• Good Post 1

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I value your insight especially with the junior kids, I don't track 'em and follow the game at that level like you do so please don't interpret my comment about your anger as being hateful or critical. 

You were jacked and it stood out. So far your anger is proving to be justified. 

A thing I remember from that draft is folks were speculating that the pick was to keep the Rangers from drafting JOB, which in hindsight seems really dumb. 

The kind of pick I hope Hextall makes over and over for the Penguins. 

Oh, no offense taken at all. I wanted people to see my rationale as to why I hated the pick then and now. 

If O'Brien played in some place like the USHL and put up those numbers, then they're on to something. However, O'Brien put up numbers in a weak USHS Prep League and he was pretty much drafted on the word of Tony Amonte. I remember reading on other forums how some people were comparing him to Kyle O'Connor. Well, Kyle put up big numbers in the USHL, went to the NCAA and also put up big numbers there. He didn't quit when things got tough either. That's the thing. I hate these guys who stats pad in weaker leagues and don't challenge themselves at the next level. Fact is, O'Brien could have went to Youngstown in the USHL, but he only played one game and went back to where things were easier. 

The fact that the Flyers chose him so that it would prevent the Rangers from drafting him was such a dumb decision, especially when the Rangers ended up drafting a better player in K'Andre Miller, who looks like he's going to be possibly a top 2 defender. The Flyers will be lucky if they even sign O'Brien when he finishes school, especially with the depth they have on the right side. It was a wasted pick and that's what infuriates me. There was no need to waste a first round pick on O'Brien. It's funny though that the Flyers then proceeded to follow up this stinker with a Cleveland Steamer in Adam Ginning, who will probably be nothing more than AHL/ECHL material.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is very debatable especially on the developmental route he took.

JO has 15 points in 13 games as a sophomore and JBD is still in college too so as long as the kid is working on his game and eventually signs and gets his shot in the AHL I could give two ducks about how he got here as long as he got here.

They path kids take mind you not grown me take in order to be the best they think they need to take is always to be disputed by outsiders.

I'm sure he discussed his plan with the Flyer brass and they were good with it.

As I asked @flyercanuck who never answered what was the kid suppose to do sit out a whole year before transferring?

He's a 21 year old sophmore though. He's significantly older than most sophmores, so he should be producing at a better rate than most. He's more physically mature than most. That's another reason why I hate, I mean absolutely hate, taking a late birth year player in the first round. Of course they look better because they should be better than those who aren't late draft year players. I'm just going to shut up. The whole O'Brien pick still aggravates me.

40 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He's a 21 year old sophmore though. He's significantly older than most sophmores, so he should be producing at a better rate than most. He's more physically mature than most. That's another reason why I hate, I mean absolutely hate, taking a late birth year player in the first round. Of course they look better because they should be better than those who aren't late draft year players. I'm just going to shut up. The whole O'Brien pick still aggravates me.

Sure I get it. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter if he dominates or struggles we have seen both I want him to keep his nose down work on refining his game and just keep getting better at what he does.

Because at this point many will consider him a bust till he shows otherwise.

So I just hope he progresses better than Rubtsov has who looks like a bust for sure.

Maybe the kid gets it. Maybe he doesn't.

I agree with you with Hextall and Pryor trying to pull a Howie Roseman look how smart I am drafting an unknown type move.

But I hold out that hope that Ron seen something in him and hope it works out.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure I get it. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter if he dominates or struggles we have seen both I want him to keep his nose down work on refining his game and just keep getting better at what he does.

Because at this point many will consider him a bust till he shows otherwise.

So I just hope he progresses better than Rubtsov has who looks like a bust for sure.

Maybe the kid gets it. Maybe he doesn't.

I agree with you with Hextall and Pryor trying to pull a Howie Roseman look how smart I am drafting an unknown type move.

But I hold out that hope that Ron seen something in him and hope it works out.

I get where you're coming from and I certainly respect your take on this.  I don't blame O'Brien for this,  for certain.  This is like Tyrell Goulbourne all over again.  Not his fault he was drafted where he was.  It was done by a GM who tried to think he was smarter than everyone else in the room. I just hate when GMs waste picks like this to prove a point. They aren't proving **** by doing something like that. 

I honestly hope O'Brien does become a right handed version of Kyle O'Connor.  It would certainly be nice to have that kind of dynamic winger like that.

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I honestly hope O'Brien does become a right handed version of Kyle O'Connor.  It would certainly be nice to have that kind of dynamic winger like that.

Wow see if he was to become something close to O'Conner then that would be a huge win.

The good thing is JO is at a good program and has if he wants/needs two more years of eligibility left after this one.

But who knows he could sign his entry level contract after this coming season and join the Phantoms.

Honestly that is the route I hope he takes.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Again, I didn't have a problem with the O'Brien pick. If someone wants to dig back into that draft I'm pretty sure my only issue was it was a bit of a reach. But after Farabee fell to us I was already happy. 

i don't know what he was "supposed" to do...my point was he was far from the poster boy of "hungry" when his career up until this season was more of less the easy route.

That's all I care about.

Ditto. 

I recall lots of people hating it when we traded Schenn away, even though a lot of them knocked his play. I never minded him, but thought it was a good deal going forward. I've had several disagreements on that.  Farabee, at 21 is already a better all around player. Frost is, well, the frosting on the cake. 

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I recall lots of people hating it when we traded Schenn away, even though a lot of them knocked his play

Gawd I wish they could trade Jake away in a similar type trade....minus the Lehtera back....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if they strike out on Ekholm or Savard maybe they can snag Travis Hamonic cheaply since the Canucks are just working on a draft pick...just asking aloud.

I honestly think the Flyers should just stick with what they have and not do anything until after the expansion draft.  They'll have a better idea as to what kind of money and/ or players they'll have left after that's done and they can plan and build from there. 

My hope is that all the dead weight is gone and that is filled with promising players and picks. I'm so sick of the mediocre veterans that are left and are taking away valuable playing time from younger players simply because of the size of the contracts they have and the coaches' affinity and infatuation of only using veterans in all the key roles.  Enough of that nepotism garbage and give playing time strictly on merit and worth.  Bench a couple of the 6 to 8 million dollar players every night and I bet you are quick buy in and turn around. 

52 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I honestly think the Flyers should just stick with what they have and not do anything until after the expansion draft. 

I wholeheartedly agree. 

52 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

They'll have a better idea as to what kind of money and/ or players they'll have left after that's done and they can plan and build from there. 

I have no idea who will go at the expansion, or who we can trade off. I know there'll likely be a lot of "Ooooo shiny" people on JVR if he continues the season he's having, but I'm hoping one of him or Jake gets taken. I think JVR goes back to his old self next season, after he hopes his play gets him a protected slot.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I honestly think the Flyers should just stick with what they have and not do anything until after the expansion draft.  They'll have a better idea as to what kind of money and/ or players they'll have left after that's done and they can plan and build from there. 

Yeah that wouldn't be the end of the world just a first round exit with this defense.

Hard to gain experience for the kids that way.

If sure Chuckles will trade for some Grant or Thompson no one really wants and says there weren't much we like out there and yahdah yahdah yahdah...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

JVR if he continues the season he's having, but I'm hoping one of him or Jake gets taken. I think JVR goes back to his old self next season, after he hopes his play gets him a protected slot.  

Agree... JVR is nothing but fool’s gold at this point. Let Seattle take him off our hands....

He is currently shooting at an unsustainable rate of 22%. (Career = 12%). There is no way either 1) he keeps this pace up for the rest of the season or 2) repeats this next year.  

Not debating he his having a good year.... but expecting this  to be the new norm is false hope....

Maybe Seattle will be nice and take him and his contact off the Flyers hands.....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

We could always put him on waivers and let Hextall take him.

Who wouldn't love to see JVR score hat tricks by the shovelful against us with the Penguins!

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I honestly think the Flyers should just stick with what they have and not do anything until after the expansion draft. 

I know this will bring all the haters from the Fly guy lovers for this comment but I would put Nolan Patrick on the block for Ekholm.

Sorry I am ready to pull the plug on the kid.

Something there is just missing with him when I watch him. And it isn't because he hasn't played in awhile because in all actuality he skated this past summer and in the winter too with a group of former players mostly X-Flyer Ryan White.

It's more than that. I just don't see any passion or want in his face when he is out there. Sure there is spurts of it but the fire is gone. It looks to me like when you're doing something for someone else it's like he is going through all this for his parents or someone else who is pushing him.

It's my read on the kid so maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

So yes I would make him the center piece for Ekholm since the Preds need forward depth.

But with him I can't really send much more for a possible guy you will have to offer Seattle something not to select him.

Maybe a 4th round pick that is it. It is a high risk reward for the Preds but they will get the younger player with upside potential but I know is one hit away from retirement. I get it. But it is time to move on I say especially with him also needing a new contract too.

So go ahead mojo and pods let me hear it I'm ready drinking my coffee and it's early and I'm stuck at work till 7.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know this will bring all the haters from the Fly guy lovers for this comment but I would put Nolan Patrick on the block for Ekholm.

Sorry I am ready to pull the plug on the kid.

Something there is just missing with him when I watch him. And it isn't because he hasn't played in awhile because in all actuality he skated this past summer and in the winter too with a group of former players mostly X-Flyer Ryan White.

It's more than that. I just don't see any passion or want in his face when he is out there. Sure there is spurts of it but the fire is gone. It looks to me like when you're doing something for someone else it's like he is going through all this for his parents or someone else who is pushing him.

It's my read on the kid so maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

So yes I would make him the center piece for Ekholm since the Preds need forward depth.

But with him I can't really send much more for a possible guy you will have to offer Seattle something not to select him.

Maybe a 4th round pick that is it. It is a high risk reward for the Preds but they will get the younger player with upside potential but I know is one hit away from retirement. I get it. But it is time to move on I say especially with him also needing a new contract too.

So go ahead mojo and pods let me hear it I'm ready drinking my coffee and it's early and I'm stuck at work till 7.

I'm open to the idea.  I'd rather the D be younger if I'm moving Patrick (because of the hesitation you mention), but I'm open@

@pilldoc   without knowing specifically what he's taking, isn't it possible the headache medicine could affect some of that?   I know that some SSRIs and other similar-purpose meds can.  Just spitballing because what OR is citing is what I'm seeing but to me it's somewhat new (or I just didn't notice it).

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd rather the D be younger if I'm moving Patrick

I think they have enough youth honestly they need that Kimmo type D man to guide the youth because Braun ain't it.

Zamula should be ready for call up next year for sure. 

York maybe ready to sign soon after this year.

Attard may stay one more year in college.

Emil Andrae maybe takes another year or two before he comes over.

With all the youth they have now you only have about 7 spots on defense available.

I want to get Ivan trained up so by the time an Andrae arrives Ivan can be the savvy vet to guide them.

But first he must be coached up as best can be done like a Niskanen did for him last year. He too is still learning on the job.

If you acquire Ekholm you will know a lot more about him by the time his contract is up. So you can cut bait or reup. But you have options.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Just spitballing because what OR is citing is what I'm seeing but to me it's somewhat new (or I just didn't notice it).

So you see it too? Good to know I wasn't crazy (ok I could still be crazy too) and I am not picking or ragging on the guy but at some point you have to think about value slipping away the longer you wait.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So you see it too? Good to know I wasn't crazy (ok I could still be crazy too) and I am not picking or ragging on the guy but at some point you have to think about value slipping away the longer you wait.

So, just to clarify and summarize.

You realize you're thinking the same thing as me, and that brings you to the conclusion that you're not crazy.  Interesting.

Okay, so as a completely unrelated question, does your employer offer an EAP program or does your major medical cover psychiatric?

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You realize you're thinking the same thing as me, and that brings you to the conclusion that you're not crazy.  Interesting.

No you missed the part where I acknowledged I could still be crazy and soon others will confirm we are.

No worries.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, so as a completely unrelated question, does your employer offer an EAP program or does your major medical cover psychiatric?

Yes my medical covers it.

I hope won't be needing it. 

But if I continue to watch these Flyers combined with what may take place next year with the Eagles I will certainly be needing some help.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No you missed the part where I acknowledged I could still be crazy and soon others will confirm we are.

LOL  Oh, I saw this.   But even the possibility was entertaining to me.  :)

But yes, I'm seeing the same thing.    And that discourages me more than any rust or lack of production does.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@pilldoc   without knowing specifically what he's taking, isn't it possible the headache medicine could affect some of that?   I know that some SSRIs and other similar-purpose meds can.  Just spitballing because what OR is citing is what I'm seeing but to me it's somewhat new (or I just didn't notice it).

Just saw your post.... yes there are meds used for chronic headaches that can cause one to be in a fog like state. Let me double check some resources when I get to work today and I will reply more in depth later.....