Tom Wilson needs to go

PoldyMahovlich

If you're tuned into tonight's (02/25) between the Caps and the Pens, you saw yet again why Tom Wilson is bad for the NHL. One again Wilson put a vicious hit on an unsuspecting player. The penalty was for interference but it should have be for cowardice. Jankowski (Wilson's latest victim) was nowhere near the puck when Wilson blindsided him. Jankowski had to leave the ice and a nonplussed Wilson sat in the box, indignant he had been assessed a penalty.

If this was the first or the eighth or the 30th time Wilson has laid a cheap hit on someone, I would not be posting. But I have watched too many Caps games where Wilson does something bush league. A trip. Boarding. A late hit. Playing dirty is his M.O. Note: I did not say playing physical. Ovechkin plays physical; Wilson plays dirty.

One of these games he will seriously hurt an opponent. He needs to be sent packing. He's a thug, pure and simple.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

@PoldyMahovlich

Wilson definitely plays on the edge, over the edge, and way into uncharted thug territory for sure.

I can admire the entire package he brings to any NHL team....he can score, hit, intimidate, skate.... but yea, far too often, his methods are very questionable.
Thing is, there are scant few players left in the league that can take a guy like that to the woodshed for the things he does on the ice.

Some seasons ago, Milan Lucic was the same way..... till more than a few guys gave Lucic some of his own medicine....enough to where the now 30 something player may need to pick his spots more.

My post probably sounds like I am condoning an "eye for an eye" retribution, and in the big picture, that isn't the answer. The league needs to be much stiffer on players like Wilson than they are apparently.
Maybe it WILL take a very serious, near career ending incident (sadly) for the league to take some sort of permanent action on Wilson, but until that happens, the best cure for the Wilson disease is an antidote of equal thuggery.
Not too many out there are qualified for the job, however.

Oh, and welcome to the Forums. 

Department of Player Safety problem. If they made Wilson an example of what happens to a player like him, there would be very few Wilsons in the future. Double the suspensions every time. Next one 40 games, then 80, then 190. If he wouldn't get the message, old age would take care of him.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

My post probably sounds like I am condoning an "eye for an eye" retribution, and in the big picture, that isn't the answer. The league needs to be much stiffer on players like Wilson than they are apparently.

Quite honestly, I'm totally in favor of that, the terror equilibrium. It's not Wilson's first shot and it won't be the last. Now Wilson doesn't have to respond to guys like Kocur, Probert, McSorley when he acts like that, maybe he would think twice. I highly recommend to watch the documentary "Ice Guardians". That tells you a lot about this aspect and how former stars like Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman and many others were protected back at the time. Take your chance buddy, but then you'll have to face the consequences and it's way scarier to be engaged in a fight with one of those enforcers than sit quietly in the penalty box.

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Department of Player Safety problem. If they made Wilson an example of what happens to a player like him, there would be very few Wilsons in the future. Double the suspensions every time. Next one 40 games, then 80, then 190. If he wouldn't get the message, old age would take care of him.

I'm afraid this won't work. They tried that with Bertuzzi and Brashear with no significant results. As we won't go back to the 1980s route, maybe hit'em at the wallet and give them masterpiece fines, or add the contract clause for an immediate contract termination if one of those actions occur. At some point it's also up to the team to avoid having those king of POS in their line-up. In fact, I don't know...

Wilson is very similar to Matt Cooke, whom I hated. 

Wilson skates a regular shift and is pretty good at hockey.

That hit on Jankowski is something he does frequently and has never had to pay for.

The only reason I entertained my team perusing Evander Kane was because of the night he put Matt Cooke to sleep. 

Until someone does this to Tom Wilson, the Jankowski hits will keep on coming. 

Those are the kind of hits the game doesn't need and that end careers.  

My guys have to play his team 7 more times this season I wonder which or our guys he's going to run?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Until someone does this to Tom Wilson, the Jankowski hits will keep on coming. 

There is no one in the NHL anymore who can do that so his reign of terror will continue till he retires or someone finally comes along and retires him.