Minnesota Wild vs Los Angeles Kings, Saturday 2-27-21, 7:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

CreaseAndAssist

https://thesportsdaily.com/?p=1189074

Minnesota Wild (11-6-0)  22pts  2nd in Honda West

3.12 Goals For Per Game (10th in the NHL)

2.41 Goals Against Per Game (5th in the NHL)

8.3% Power Play (30th in the NHL)

87.1% Penalty Kill (4th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #97 Kirill Kaprizov ~ 5G 11A = 16pts

2. #18 Jordan Greenway ~ 2G 10A = 12pts

3. #14 Joel Eriksson Ek ~ 7G 4A = 11pts

4. #36 Mats Zuccarello ~ 3G 7A = 10pts

5. #38 Ryan Hartman ~ 3G 6A = 9pts

Top 3 PIM's:

1. #22 Kevin Fiala ~ 27 PIM's

2. #18 Jordan Greenway ~ 24 PIM's

3. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 20 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:

1. #33 Cam Talbot (4-2-0)  2.37GAA  .926%SP

2. #34 Kaapo Kahkonen (7-4-0)  2.37GAA  .917%SP

Vs.

Los Angeles Kings (9-7-3)  21pts  5th in Honda West

2.95 Goals For Per Game (15th in the NHL)

2.68 Goals Against Per Game (9th in the NHL)

23.5% Power Play (12th in the NHL)

85.3% Penalty Kill (6th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Anze Kopitar ~ 4G 17A = 21pts

2. #23 Dustin Brown ~ 11G 6A = 17pts

3. #8 Drew Doughty ~ 4G 11A = 15pts

4. #19 Alex Iafallo ~ 5G 8A = 13pts

5. #77 Jeff Carter ~ 4G 8A = 12pts

Top 3 PIM's:

1. #23 Dustin Brown ~ 14 PIM's

2. #8 Drew Doughty ~ 8 PIM's

3. #44 Mikey Anderson~ 8 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Cal Petersen (4-4-1)  2.28GAA  .931%SP

2. #32 Jonathan Quick (5-3-2)  2.85GAA  .903%SP  2SO

• Like 1

That's a vigilant point by C&A about Kaprizov having a purpose to his passing: he realises when to shoot, when to pass. I am so amazed by the guy. The Wild having a player with the situational awareness of a Kane or Crosby? Am I dreaming?

• Like 1

Hope, we will repeat our success tonight too as we play as a team supporting each other and producing goals from our all lines. I was thinking recently about comparison between Gaborik and Kaprizov and looked for their differences. In my opinion , Gaborik had a huge talent more as the individual scoring player, but Kaprizov has more talent to unify/to consolidate the team as a team's play to produce the successful results or by scoring and or by assisting equally. Looked how bloomed this season our players EEK; Greenway (both playing with Fiala on the 1st youngest line in our history); Hartman; Zuccarello; Rask; Sturm; Soucy; Bjugstad. Even Fiala is more turning from his unique individual play towards the unique team's play. That should be the most important part of the team now. Our 5 wins in a row with our production from all lines is a very good sign so far. What I have seen recently - even our veterans Parise; Suter; Spurgeon and Brodin are playing more as unified team so far and helping each other with their way. Maybe that was the main message to the team out of the Kaprizov unpredictable talented play. I still remember Kaprizov's interview when CSKA team reached 3 years ago the Gagarin Cup finals and lost those series. He said about that way "His individual play is not enough to win the Gagarin Cup; the entire team should play as a team depending from each player ". And their team next season reached the Gagarin Cup finals again and won it nicely.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Kap is going to become the best player since Gaborik.  In fact, I already think he is in the short sample (First to 10 points, and will likely beat a lot of Wild rookie records).  That said, I am guessing the team will have more success than during the Gabby years.  There is just something about how he is making everyone better.  Only the very few have this across sports.  It is early, but there are great signs.  Last night, Evason said after the game that 'the coaching staff is not surprised, we could see this in practice.'  This says a lot.

• Like 4

Gaborik was also 23 when he became a point-per-game player (a few more goals, a few less assists).  He was able to carry that through his age 27 season, and again at 29.  The biggest issue with Gabby, as many will recall was health - or lack thereof.  Missed games were a challenge for Gaborik.  I am hoping that Kap is more durable (or has better luck).  I do see Kap being a 40 goal scorer, once he has 'made enough friends.'  Given his arrival as a top player, I would accelerate the other young high ceiling players, such that they are ready as Kap hits his peak.  That is how you get trophies.  Clean out any trash over the next two years and make space.  For now, find out who will be there, and PAY KAP before he has enough leverage to break the bank 😁 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

It looks like we did not have that chance for about 20 years. Maybe except 2002-2003 season.🤔

That's because we built the team around a 'non Star' in Mikko, then overpaid some 'slightly stars' a load of Midas' gold to make it appear that we had a talented team.  Not withstanding our drafting of some real stiffs - I will refrain from 'naming names,' but we all know the 'dirty half dozen' I am referring to..

• Like 1