This and that The kids are alright Batherson, Necas, Ect..all

yave1964

A few notes from last nights games....

Last nights games showed the continued switch towards youth in the NHL, A few highlights included a hat trick by the Ducks Isac Lundestrom (of course in a losing cause) a gut check shutout by Thatcher Demko in what was his best game of the season, it is easy to forget that Elias Pettersson is still only 22 with what he has done so far in his young career but he was a force last night all over the ice. Jordan Jyrou continues to impress in a top six role for the Blues with another goal, with the Senators Tim Stutzle and Josh Norris look like cagy veterans and took the game over early, but the two I want to talk about are:

Drake Batherson has really come into his own this season, he is on a personal six game goal streak which is an all time record in Senators history.Lost in Stutlemania Batherson is quickly becoming a star.

and

Martin Necas has begun to take games over on a talented Canes squad. He is slotted in on the wing although he will likely end up at center in a year or two and is thriving with linemates Niederreitter and Trochek. Last night in overtime he buried a perfect pass from Aho to finish the game off, in the past couple of weeks he has two overtime winning goals and one in a shootout. 

I guess I could mention Ohio State alum Dakota Joshua who really isnt much of a prospect after bouncing around a few organizations and multiple trips to the ECHL he scored in his NHL debut last night. Only reason I want to mention him is because if I ever go into the adult film industry I think i will use the name Dakota Joshua. I used to say it would have been Bart Crashley but I like this one better, lol.

Seriously, tho, Necas and Batherson are gaining confidence and are part of a growing number of the younger faster stronger crowd that is taking over the game and leading it in a good direction.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Drake Batherson has really come into his own this season, he is on a personal six game goal streak which is an all time record in Senators history.Lost in Stutlemania Batherson is quickly becoming a star.

Love the Drake!

• Like 1

Drake practices in the off-season with Crosby, Marchand and Mackinnon. 

Funny I was just commenting on work ethic and taylor hall in another thread

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-batherson-striving-full-time-role-summer-crosby/sn-amp/

"Guys like Taylor Hall come down and can’t believe how hard (Sid and friends) are working," Batherson says. "That’s why they’re so good, because they work so hard."

On Martin Necas:

I began to notice him last season, thanks in large part to playing fantasy hockey.
Every time I needed a 'fill in' winger/center, there was this young man who seemed to deliver on the stats, even if for short bursts at a time.

Yep. It was Necas.
Then, when I started watching more Canes games regularly, I began to see that this guy really did look like an up n coming player for Carolina.... he just needed a bigger role.

Well, this season he is getting that bigger role with his increased ice time and playing with the top lines on the team and in more situations.
Guy is fast, has an instinct for where to be on the ice, has a nice shot, handles the puck well (and seems to protect it pretty well too), has upped his game at the face off dot a bit too and has deceptive size.

I actually didn't realize he was around 6'2 or 6'3 till I saw him skate by or stand by some other players who were around 6 foot. And he also seems to have added on a bit more bulk without sacrificing on-ice speed.

Definitely filling in his status as a 12th overall pick in 2017.
I expect him to get even better, and, if for some reason Carolina feels he isn't on par with some of their other up n comers like Svechnikov and Aho, then I am sure some savvy GM would be more than willing to take Necas off their hands!