Sabres fire sale about to begin?

Samifan

13 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Skinner didn't go from 40 goal scorer to nothing all by himself. Krueger's strategies and terribad coaching most certainly played a part.

Actually, you can go from a 40-goal scorer to nothing all by yourself. Look at Benn. It started with Montgomery and pursuing with Bowness.

I'm not that objective, I'm a big Krüger fan but I don't think you can put it all on him and maybe things could have been different if he constructed the team as well. His strategy is to find the correct piece for every specific situations in the game, and of course in a very defensive-minded and boring approach. He was able to take Switzerland from a mediocre team playing against China, Kazakhstan or Great Britain to compete with the int'l top-6, piking with the historical shutout of Canada in the 2006 Olympics with a selection that didn't make any sense for anyone. But the key for success is having big strong guys in your top-4 D and a stellar goalie while guys like Hall, Eichel and Skinner are useless. That's also why Krüger failed in Edmonton.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

This has been the strange way the Sabres have been dealing with this for a while now, and I don't understand: it's been rookie coaches and rookie GMs for years through the rebuild.

That solution leaves more power to the owners and the players - that is, to those who usually have the least experience and know-how of the game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Math said:

Actually, you can go from a 40-goal scorer to nothing all by yourself. Look at Benn. It started with Montgomery and pursuing with Bowness.

I'm not that objective, I'm a big Krüger fan but I don't think you can put it all on him and maybe things could have been different if he constructed the team as well. His strategy is to find the correct piece for every specific situations in the game, and of course in a very defensive-minded and boring approach. He was able to take Switzerland from a mediocre team playing against China, Kazakhstan or Great Britain to compete with the int'l top-6, piking with the historical shutout of Canada in the 2006 Olympics with a selection that didn't make any sense for anyone. But the key for success is having big strong guys in your top-4 D and a stellar goalie while guys like Hall, Eichel and Skinner are useless. That's also why Krüger failed in Edmonton.

Jamie Benn also had hip surgery right in his prime. Which tends to have some ramifications at lowering your career life expectancy drastically. A lot of players have had hip surgery and then came back looking good for awhile only to falter fast.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Samifan said:

I don’t think the Pegulas want a coach with a personality. Pegulas ran Rex Ryan out of Buffalo after they grew tired of his side show and went back to generic cookie cutter template for the Bills. While it would be fun to see him bench Eichel,  I think Fonzie would be out of consideration. 😀

15 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I think half the team would be hiding in the woods if Torts was the coach. He would need to play the same line over and over again. It would 5 against 4 time every time he benched someone.

Sadly, you boys may be right........and I say 'sadly', because if so, then the Sabres can enjoy another Decade of Doormats.

A coach isn't going to go on the ice to win games....but a good one, even a good a-hole one, can certainly motivate players to do so.
At the very least, that way the FO can find out if they have real NHL players manning their benches, or crybaby primadonnas.

I think that's worth hiring a "fix it" coach like Tortorella for about 3 or 4 years.

But again, if you boys are right, the Pegulas don't want 'personality' or, gulp, CONFRONTATION, and players are gonna go hide in the equipment closets, then Buffalo will NOT be a playoff team anytime soon.
And the rabid Buffalo fanbase pays the ultimate price.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Jamie Benn also had hip surgery right in his prime. Which tends to have some ramifications at lowering your career life expectancy drastically. A lot of players have had hip surgery and then came back looking good for awhile only to falter fast.

Interesting point. I'll definitely do some digging and see other similar cases. Benne became one of the laziest players in the league, has no impact at all. But if it was only that... He leads the team in turnovers (relative to the TOI), keep on taking stupid offensive penalties and chose systematically the wrong decision (shoot when there's a China Wall in front, pass when there's a empty net at a ¼-in. distance, go back to the neutral zone when it's a four-on-zero breakaway) and nobody dares to glue his ass on the bench. Both him and his cap hit is killing the team.

Btw, thanks a lot for that dose of hope about Seguin when he will come back for the playoffs next season.  :sorcerer:

I think Tropical's idea about Torts sniffing out the bad apples from the good ones is spot on. He would be able to do that in a few weeks. Then it would be time for the GM to start trading. Let us hope for hockey's sake that the Pegulas sort this mess out. I can't watch this meat grinder drafting promising, fun to watch talent, and grinding them into minced meat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Math said:

Interesting point. I'll definitely do some digging and see other similar cases. Benne became one of the laziest players in the league, has no impact at all. But if it was only that... He leads the team in turnovers (relative to the TOI), keep on taking stupid offensive penalties and chose systematically the wrong decision (shoot when there's a China Wall in front, pass when there's a empty net at a ¼-in. distance, go back to the neutral zone when it's a four-on-zero breakaway) and nobody dares to glue his ass on the bench. Both him and his cap hit is killing the team.

Btw, thanks a lot for that dose of hope about Seguin when he will come back for the playoffs next season.  :sorcerer:

It's not always a career killer. But it is a relearn how to skate surgery in more extreme cases like Kesler.

Rinne came back from hip surgery in 2014 ok. Benn actually looked really good on his initial return. It was a year after that where I noticed he was avoiding contact more

https://www.prohockeystrength.com/public/Predictors-of-Career-Length-after-Hip-Surgery-in-Hockey-Players.cfm

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

24 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Sabres want 4 First round picks for chia-pet.

Thank his Holmgren isn’t a GM anymore!

If this even has any legs at all, it sounds likes its one of those things where a GM would ask for the moon, but that is only a starting point, other GMs interested will talk him down a bit, and they settle somewhere in the middle.

Regardless of what people may think or say about Eichel, he still is a fantastic NHL talent, and the Sabres would be smart to try and get back as many first round picks or top prospects as they think they can get away with.
Doesn't mean they will get that, but they DO need to set the bar very high, then as negotiations go on, the price to acquire comes down, but still should be satisfactory for Buffalo.

Again, this is all assuming the Sabres actually are shopping him.