Game 28: Flyers at Rangers; 3/17/21 @ 7:30 NBCSN

Howie58

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I know ..... I'm sure the NHLPA would have a hissy fit about and the players would probably rebel but eff them.  After that S**tshow  last night I don't care.  Matter of fact I would probably be rather amused.

It would send a message.

It would also guarantee the team will be worthless against their most physically imposing opponent. 

So in theory I support what you're saying. This season , last night, a 90 minute skate would be irresponsible. 

I've never felt embarrassment for being a fan of this team until last night, on goal 6 when teen girl mojo said, hey let's watch the Sixers, and guess what the score will be at the end of the period. She said 6-1, I said 7 - 1.

Narrator: It wasn't either of those.

At the 2nd intermission we both laughed as she said man dad, your team sucks 

Narrator: it's true

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It would send a message.

It would also guarantee the team will be worthless against their most physically imposing opponent. 

So in theory I support what you're saying. This season , last night, a 90 minute skate would be irresponsible. 

Agree on all points.... just venting. I’m rather even keeled but last night I was flat out pissed off.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Per AV: "its a question of pride and good leadership"

Kinda says everything we've been questioning. So who is responsible for those two things?

N. A. K. ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Kinda says everything we've been questioning. So who is responsible for those two things?

Wow. It is what we have been saying for years now. They have none. That is problem.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Whoever says "That's the player we want, let's put him on our team".

• Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

it starts with this guy. Hold the veterans accountable. Scratch Jake, G, Hayes if need be. Call an Effin timeout once and a while and chew their ass. Change your strategies mid game. Hold Yeo and Therrien accountable for horrible special teams and the youth regressing this year!

20E055F7-22BC-4674-AC50-233FB361F134.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, Samifan said:

it starts with this guy. Hold the veterans acc

ountable. Scratch Jake, G, Hayes if need be. Call an Effin timeout once and a while and chew their ass. Change your strategies mid game. Hold Yeo and Therrien accountable for horrible special teams and the youth regressing this year!

20E055F7-22BC-4674-AC50-233FB361F134.jpeg

It's the players. Scotty Bowman couldn't win with this bunch.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Don’t disagree with you just pointing out that AV shouldn’t be preaching pride and leadership when he is to blame for failure to display either as well.

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Whoever says "That's the player we want, let's put him on our team".

Yes it really feels now we are back in the Clarke days of drafting now....they can't draft so just go find the damn player you want and just pay for him if you have to just to get back to watch enjoyable hockey man i am tired of waiting and waiting for these guys to supposedly come close to show their potential.

So i guess back to Clarke's way find them and just get them here....because i can not stand to watch a game now it is like being waterboarded...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it really feels now we are back in the Clarke days of drafting now....they can't draft so just go find the damn player you want and just pay for him if you have to just to get back to watch enjoyable hockey man i am tired of waiting and waiting for these guys to supposedly come close to show their potential.

So i guess back to Clarke's way find them and just get them here....because i can not stand to watch a game now it is like being waterboarded...

That way was fine...before the salary cap. If you hate Giroux/Voracek, bet you can't wait to see Hayes/JVR in a few years.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That way was fine...before the salary cap. If you hate Giroux/Voracek, bet you can't wait to see Hayes/JVR in a few years.

JVR will be a Kraken so not worried about him and Hayes well at least the horse's corpse will be a change...change is always good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Don’t disagree with you just pointing out that AV shouldn’t be preaching pride and leadership when he is to blame for failure to display either as well.

why is av at fault? not holding giroux and jake accountable falls on the fo.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

This. This right here. We can talk leadership and accountability and making guys skate for five days at sprint levels all we want, it won't change what the current roster is actually capable of doing. They don't lack some sort of whimsical quality like leadership, or desire, or whatever. They're just collectively and individually not good enough when compared to a number of other teams in the league.

Is some of last night an AV thing? Yeah maybe. A Fletch thing? Yeah, maybe. Was is some sort of anomaly? Yeah, most definitely it was. They're not going to suddenly lose every game by nine goals. And if they had been playing well up until just last night, I'd be much more willing to look beyond it and consider it just a road bump in an otherwise okay road.

Ultimately though, winning consistently in this game requires players who have a skill set that is fundamentally better, both individually and collectively, to beat out ~30 other teams, and I just don't think this roster has that very basic thing. They're not good enough. Period. They've had plenty of time to show it, and they keep falling short.

Here's the thing, I'm 100% sure every single player in that locker room would much rather win than lose. No one reaches this level of play with a laissez-faire attitude towards competition. It's impossible. They're not a contending team because the players as assembled are just not good enough to be a contending team. Full stop. It's not rocket science. It's not some sort of mind trick or whatever. No amount of screaming at this team is going to change any of that either.

To the point others have made here also: This team is not one Ekholm away from being consistently good. Ekholm isn't Gretzky. He alone cannot possibly make up the difference here. The teams needs a significant face lift that goes well beyond just grabbing one vet dman.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

15 hours ago, trevluk said:

are going to waste our franchise goaltender who is going to be so shaken after this season that the damage may be irreparable.

My biggest fear. Along with Farabee!

ALSO, I seriously cannot get over how "Jecklye and Hyde" this team is! Does anyone remember the 1st like 10-12 games of the season?!!? Some without Coots!!! We were like 8-2-1!!!! And were looking damn good doing it too!.....then WEEKS later, this.

YEARS this has been going on. 10 game win streak followed by 7-8 straight losses were they look utterly LOST !!!.... blows my mind.

I actually thought this team looked really good early on. Again.....WTF happened?!

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Here is my answer from what I posted last night ...... I don't give a damn that they make millions of dollars ..... that goal was pure laziness.  Its one thing to lose when you are giving all your effort . That I can tolerate ....what I CANNOT tolerate is a bunch of lazy ass players not skating back on D.  Totally unacceptable ....like I said I don't give a damn what they make ..... I would make them skate after the game until they puke .....all of them.

Well it worked for Darryl Sutter with the Flames last week, he bag skated the Flames players and they rattled off 3 victories.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Here's the thing, I'm 100% sure every single player in that locker room would much rather win than lose. No one reaches this level of play with a laissez-faire attitude towards competition.

I do have my own internal questions regarding this point. Players may have cared, and played appropriately to get to this level, but I wouldn't be shocked to find there are a large number who care more about money and contracts, than winning and losing.

Its preached over and over how pro sports is a business. Time and again, players are traded, cut, waived etc., all for the best interest of the franchise. I can see human beings taking the stance that if the organization doesnt care about them, then they will "get theirs". I suspect football and basketball see this more often, but I think it reaches hokey too. Look at a guy like Laine. Its widely talked about that he has a "give a **** attitude". He's worried more about his individual stats, then team success.

I would also not be shocked to find there are current Flyers who hope they end up in Seattle, or traded. After all, they got beat down on national tv and I didn't see a single player who looked pissed about it

15 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

they haven't been scored on yet in the third. that's good, right?

NO!...no it's not. This is akin to the bully at school finally feeling bad for you as you lay sobbing fetal position and he/she stops beating the **** out of you!

Mercy 3rd.

They should be ASHAMED.

13 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

My biggest fear. Along with Farabee!

ALSO, I seriously cannot get over how "Jecklye and Hyde" this team is! Does anyone remember the 1st like 10-12 games of the season?!!? Some without Coots!!! We were like 8-2-1!!!! And were looking damn good doing it too!.....then WEEKS later, this.

YEARS this has been going on. 10 game win streak followed by 7-8 straight losses were they look utterly LOST !!!.... blows my mind.

I actually thought this team looked really good early on. Again.....WTF happened?!

they over achieve for stretches then don't give a rat's ass for stretches ....

sorry that is all I got ...... (shrugging my shoulders)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I've never felt embarrassment for being a fan of this team until last night

Holy Crap!!

WE ALL KNOW WE'RE IN TROUBLE WHEN MOJO GIVES UP ON THIS TEAM!!!! :);)

I see your starting to turn to the dark side! ;)

Yup....WE SUCK. hard pill to swallow ain't it?!

(seriously though, no offense meant as I value ALL people who contribute to this forum and always found you to be a "glass half full" guy DESPITE what was happening....NOW I'm truly scared.)