Game 28: Flyers at Rangers; 3/17/21 @ 7:30 NBCSN

Howie58

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

they over achieve for stretches then don't give a rat's ass for stretches ....

sorry that is all I got ...... (shrugging my shoulders)

Very Gen X of you .

Power, or whatever, brother! 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

they over achieve for stretches

Perhaps that is exactly it.

Perhaps their recent (and past) success is not a result of skill/desire/good play, but blind luck, and having some "hot nights" strung together by guys like "Laughton".....

I don't know. I simply find it hard to believe that a roster with Patrick, TK, G, Jake, coots, farabee, and even JVR (for now) is THIS bad..... just doesn't make sense. Never mind Cart hart and Provo and Ghost.

Yes, I guess we "overestimated" how good these players actually are????

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Look at a guy like Laine. Its widely talked about that he has a "give a **** attitude". He's worried more about his individual stats, then team success.

Yeah for sure there are players like this. Laine may very well be that kind of guy. Certainly that is the reputation he's developed. He isn't the only one either. I have a feeling Erik Karlsson's drop to the bottom of the hole has a lot to do with his lack of s**ts to give also. Sergeant Bankruptsy down in San Jose probably falls on this list too. Not to mention perennial trade favourites like Hall and Duchene. Whether the rumours are completely true about those guys, I dunno, but I have to think there's something there along those lines. There are whatever amount of players like that for sure.

That said, I do think that ultimately the vast majority of players who get to the NHL want to play well enough to be recognized as phenomenal players. I don't think they're all just paying for a paycheck. I've never heard that of Giroux or Voracek or Couturier or Provorov or JVR for that matter (though it would actually seem far more plausible in his case given his record).

@OccamsRazor seems to apply quite well here in fact. Sure, we can sit and offer a bunch of additional reasons why the team sucks. Every time we add conjecture though, we're more than likely straying further and further away from the otherwise simpler truth.

They're not winning more consistently, because they just can't. They're not good enough. If they were good enough, they would be winning more. I really don't think we need to make up any other excuses.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

My biggest fear. Along with Farabee!

ALSO, I seriously cannot get over how "Jecklye and Hyde" this team is! Does anyone remember the 1st like 10-12 games of the season?!!? Some without Coots!!! We were like 8-2-1!!!! And were looking damn good doing it too!.....then WEEKS later, this.

YEARS this has been going on. 10 game win streak followed by 7-8 straight losses were they look utterly LOST !!!.... blows my mind.

I actually thought this team looked really good early on. Again.....WTF happened?!

Konecny was our leading scorer last year. Now he sucks. WTF happened there?

I thought the team looked like crap at the season start  and the goalies were stealing us wins. I mentioned it more than once.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Every time we add conjecture though, we're more than likely straying further and further away from the otherwise simpler truth.

Yes sometimes doesn’t matter how much work you put in and how hard you try to improve your game or whatever the reality at the end of the day is you're just not good enough.

And there is only one Cup winner so if fact every team has to come to this reality.

The thing that separated them is the degreed in how far off they are weather it is a team or an individual.

At some point you have to try something different...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Konecny was our leading scorer last year. Now he sucks. WTF happened there?

Well it started after the stoppage and during the last playoff run. Goal less.

Didn't see that coming.

Labotomized maybe?

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I thought the team looked like crap at the season start  and the goalies were stealing us wins. I mentioned it more than once.

Interesting observation! I guess wins doesn't always equal "good play"??

Again, there are "ways" to loose. You can go down fighting or see what we saw last night. I don't expect a win every game. I do however expect a competitive team on the ice.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it started after the stoppage and during the last playoff run. Goal less.

Didn't see that coming.

Labotomized maybe?

he's been so inconsistent, correct me if im wrong but has tk been like this when hak was coaching him?

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

it starts with this guy. Hold the veterans accountable. Scratch Jake, G, Hayes if need be. Call an Effin timeout once and a while and chew their ass. Change your strategies mid game. Hold Yeo and Therrien accountable for horrible special teams and the youth regressing this year!

20E055F7-22BC-4674-AC50-233FB361F134.jpeg

That is not AV's coaching style. In Vancouver and NY he had veteran team's with all star goalies (Luongo and Lundqvist) who could hold a sloppy team in games. AV has never been and never will be a good NHL coach.

His team's have no structure and definitely no heart.

IMO this team has talent they just need coaches that put them in a game plan they can execute.

But yes we need to be sellers not buyers on trade day. Jake and G should be on the table for sure.

For those that say Babcock is to gruff to coach anymore, I say that is just what this pathetic no hart team needs.

25 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Interesting observation! I guess wins doesn't always equal "good play"??

Again, there are "ways" to loose. You can go down fighting or see what we saw last night. I don't expect a win every game. I do however expect a competitive team on the ice.

Ya, I didn't like the way they were winning. I mean some guys were playing well, but it seemed rare that everyone was on the same page. Other than the goalies. Then the bottom fell out of that as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

he's been so inconsistent, correct me if im wrong but has tk been like this when hak was coaching him?

Im going to make the point again....

It seems like a Flyer problem. Players play hard to make the team. They reach success and look like a big time player. Then once they are comfortably a part of the line up, they go to ****

Maybe its the culture within the organization

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Im going to make the point again....

It seems like a Flyer problem. Players play hard to make the team. They reach success and look like a big time player. Then once they are comfortably a part of the line up, they go to ****

Maybe its the culture within the organization

you know someone brought up a good point another forum that got me thinking, maybe these players just dont know how to win because they have been brought up too soon and dont know how to play with one another. that's why it's so important to not rush these young players and have them develop chemistry in the minors, that way when they are brought up, they wont miss a beat. it looks like they dont know how to play.

it backfired with the oilers, they rushed the prospects because of the hype and it turned to dog crap because they had no chemistry of winning from the minors. i really think we have to get rid of young players to bring in experience players and let fletchers drafted players develop in the minors until they have the chemistry to play with one another and develop the winning culture, so they know how to play in nhl.

Edited by tucson83

the only hopeful part about last night's game is I started streaming it from the NBCSP site and saw that we were up 2-0 in the first 7 or so minutes, then I realized that they were re-streaming Tuesday night's game for some reason and the game was actually on NBCSN, and most of you know what happened when I switched over to that, and then the forwards stopped trying "defense" after goal 4 and you all know what happened after that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1