This and that, Vesey claimed by Canucks, Malkin injured, Lee out for the season

Jared Tinordi was claimed a few weeks ago by the Bruins because of injuries to their back end, he brings nothing to the table save for size and the willingness and ability to play the body. Last night he simply stood Malkin up and knocked him on his rear as Malkin was coming around behind the net. Malkin skated gingerly to the bench, returned for a bit on a power play and then was gone for the rest of the game. Boston won 2-1 against the red hot Penguins and quite frankly this one play set the tone for the entire game.

Vesey has been claimed off waivers by the Canucks from the Leafs, the Leafs were trying to sneak him onto the taxi squad for a bit but Vancouver wasnt having it.  With Toronto getting healthy Vesey was a spare part although he really hasnt played poorly. Kind of surprised Toronto risked it with the sweetheart contract and the fact that he really has played decent hockey.

Devastating news for the Isles, Captain Anders Lee will miss the rest of this season leaving them short up front they hope that Wallstrom and Bellows can contribute enough to offset the loss. IMHO they went from contender to also ran with his loss.

• Like 1

According to that video #84 Jarred Tinordi knocked Malkin twice. During the second time Malkin was just staying in pain and doing nothing, but #84 approached and hit him again. I agree that "play" set the tone and destroyed the chemistry of the Penguins team.

• Like 1

I enjoy these bits of news you throw on here regularly, @yave1964
I keep up with most of what is going on league wide, yet you STILL manage to put things on here, along with your commentary, that make for good reading.

----Jarred Tinordi.
Man, when I first saw him picked as a 1st rounder by the Montreal Canadiens, I thought "The Habs have a large, Chris Pronger-like defenseman they will terrorize the league with soon!"
Obviously that was not to be the case. Not sure what it is about Tinordi.
Is it his skating? His hockey IQ?
He certainly can be physical enough

Then I thought, "maybe the guy just wasn't given enough of a fair shake"
But a few teams later, it is painfully obvious that ALL those teams couldn't have been "unfair" to him.
It's just likely he isn't NHL material. Period.
That is a shame.

---Anders Lee.
Yes, tough blow for the Islanders, however, given the way Barry Trotz runs his team and the interchangeability of his squad, it may not be as bad for the Islanders to be without Lee as it would be for some other teams without their best player or their captain.

Long Island still has plenty to keep them going, the crux of which is their goaltending and defensive structure. That is still as solid as ever.
And this team's bottom sixers are just as important as the team's top sixers, and they are still playing well.

Brock Nelson and even Jordan Eberle have stepped their games up, while newcomers such as Kiefer Bellows and Oliver Wahlstrom have played relatively well in whatever roles the Isles have put them in, albeit in small sample sizes thus far.
Noah Dobson and Nick Leddy have looked good contributing offense from the blue line as well.

Sure, the team is better with Lee on it than without, but not having him isn't a disaster.

----Jimmey Visey
Not sure what he could bring to the Canucks, but Vancouver needs....something.
Too much talent on that team to be as inconsistent on both sides of the puck as they have been.

What the team REALLY needs are steady defensemen (and Holtby to get his head out of his arse and help out Thatcher Demko!), but if Vesey can improve uopn what he was doing with the Leafs (he is SURE to get more ice time in Vancouver), perhaps having a cohesive, potent offense can help offset some of the team's defensive issues.

I don't think a player like Vesey will completely cure what ails the Canucks up front (their PP could be better given their talent), but even if he can come in, NOT be an offensive void, it could go a long ways to giving Vancouver some more stability with the puck.
And if Vesey DOES play well, the much maligned Jake Virtanen really could find himself traded elsewhere as have been some rumors floating about.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Jared Tinordi was claimed a few weeks ago by the Bruins because of injuries to their back end, he brings nothing to the table save for size and the willingness and ability to play the body. Last night he simply stood Malkin up and knocked him on his rear as Malkin was coming around behind the net. Malkin skated gingerly to the bench, returned for a bit on a power play and then was gone for the rest of the game. Boston won 2-1 against the red hot Penguins and quite frankly this one play set the tone for the entire game.

Vesey has been claimed off waivers by the Canucks from the Leafs, the Leafs were trying to sneak him onto the taxi squad for a bit but Vancouver wasnt having it.  With Toronto getting healthy Vesey was a spare part although he really hasnt played poorly. Kind of surprised Toronto risked it with the sweetheart contract and the fact that he really has played decent hockey.

Devastating news for the Isles, Captain Anders Lee will miss the rest of this season leaving them short up front they hope that Wallstrom and Bellows can contribute enough to offset the loss. IMHO they went from contender to also ran with his loss.

No problem on Anders Lee , the Flyers can send them Voracek for Wahlstrom. Love to help out....

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Tinordi simply cannot skate, he is so slow you can time him with a sundial but what he brings to the table is size and rugged stay at home defense. All these years later he has yet to crack 100 games in the NHL and has a whopping one goal. A draft bust but as a 6/7 dman he seems to have finally found a home in Boston.

I watched more Isle hockey than one should the year before Tavares left, Lee he had a monster year, 40 goals and I can tell you that the combined distance of all of his goals probably wouldnt have made for a good icing. He is rugged and sets up in front of the net and is fearless, losing him will hurt them more than if they lost anyone except Varly or Barzal. The young kid forwards are finally developing but I still think this sinks the Isles for this year.