Buffalo Sabres Closing in on NHL History!

WordsOfWisdom

With their loss tonight, the Sabres have lost 18 straight games, tying Pittsburgh for #1 all time!  :) 

18 games!

The Pittsburgh Penguins hold the record for the longest losing streak in NHL history at 18 games, which was set in the 2003–04 season; that team finished last in the NHL with a 23–47–8–4 record (58 points).

From Wikipedia

One more loss and the Sabres have the top spot!  

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Shirley, there isn't a team that's given up points on multiple occasions during the stretch, amirite?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

What?   🤔

This is longest consecutive regular season losing streak. An OT loss is still a loss.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What?   🤔

This is longest consecutive regular season losing streak. An OT loss is still a loss.   

You really have to get better at this...

The Flyers have given them points TWICE during this losing streak.

No other team has given up 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

OH!  I get it now.  😃

I have to admit that this season I really haven't been following the other teams much. The divisional isolation has shifted my focus almost entirely to the North division. I look at the standings overall and check how other teams are doing, but I haven't been watching any of the other teams closely.  

If it makes you feel any better, that would normally be "Toronto's spot".  The Leafs would be the slump buster team for the Sabres. They're normally in our division and they normally dominate the Leafs. So you've kind of taken our place this season. At least you won the game.  :) 

1 minute ago, lynxrattle said:

Is it too early to congratulate the Sabres yet? They are number one in lost games, after all. Even if it's a shared accomplishment.

Perhaps a TAD too early.  I think being alone in #1 is the real milestone.  Right now it's a shared record, and records aren't meant to be shared lol.  :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, radoran said:

BURN!!!!

don't let the sabres' 18-game losing streak let you forget that they've still won a playoff series more recently than the toronto maple leafs
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

BURN!!!!

don't let the sabres' 18-game losing streak let you forget that they've still won a playoff series more recently than the toronto maple leafs

Every team in the NHL has won a playoff series more recently than Toronto. Not much of an accomplishment really.  :( 

The Leafs haven't won a playoff round in 20 years. Of course, they spent 15 of those 20 years not even making the playoffs. 

I think I posted the roster of the last Leafs team to see playoff action past round one. Names like:

• Mats Sundin
  • Alexander Mogilny
  • Gary Roberts
  • Joe Nieuwendyk
  • Ed Belfour
  • Brian Leetch
  • Bryan McCabe
  • etc.......

Pat Quinn was the head coach.

44 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Every team in the NHL has won a playoff series more recently than Toronto. Not much of an accomplishment really.  :( 

The Leafs haven't won a playoff round in 20 years. Of course, they spent 15 of those 20 years not even making the playoffs. 

I think I posted the roster of the last Leafs team to see playoff action past round one. Names like:

• Mats Sundin
  • Alexander Mogilny
  • Gary Roberts
  • Joe Nieuwendyk
  • Ed Belfour
  • Brian Leetch
  • Bryan McCabe
  • etc.......

Pat Quinn was the head coach.

For real!?! Wow, it's been a long time. I think I can understand Steve Dangle now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

For real!?! Wow, it's been a long time. I think I can understand Steve Dangle now.

The only other teams that might come close are:

• Phoenix Coyotes
  • Winnipeg Jets
  • Florida Panthers

I'm not sure how long those teams have gone without winning a playoff round but it's probably comparable to Toronto. 

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The only other teams that might come close are:

• Phoenix Coyotes
  • Winnipeg Jets
  • Florida Panthers

I'm not sure how long those teams have gone without winning a playoff round but it's probably comparable to Toronto. 

I think that list changes this year.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:43 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

With their loss tonight, the Sabres have lost 18 straight games, tying Pittsburgh for #1 all time!  :) 

18 games!

The Pittsburgh Penguins hold the record for the longest losing streak in NHL history at 18 games, which was set in the 2003–04 season; that team finished last in the NHL with a 23–47–8–4 record (58 points).

From Wikipedia

One more loss and the Sabres have the top spot!  

Yeah but the Sabres have actual NHL players. Dick Tarnstrom led the Pens that year with....52 points. Dick. Tarnstrom. Career high for him BTW! Of course, he was a -37, too.   Rico Fata...a stellar -46.  Wait for it....John Sim played 15 games for the Pens that year. He even had a GWG!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:08 AM, OccamsRazor said:

BURN!!!!

@nolan bianchi

Also worth mentioning:

Leafs are technically #1 on this list because 50% of the value of the New York Rangers (or more) is tied up in MSG (Madison Square Gardens arena), the most valuable arena is all of sports. So if you delete the arena from the equation, TOR > NYR. 

burnindeed.thumb.png.369a1bd397820e1cc378c449549e1b71.png

As for Buffalo, in addition to their recent losing streak, I noticed that the Buffalo Sabres have NEVER won a Stanley Cup!  So that's a wonderful streak the Sabres still have going! 😮