What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

i think fletch has evaluate the roster this offseason like what young players are worth keeping, try to gain cap space and try to sign cheap vets in our backend., in the top 6 and bottom 6. i think too much youth on this team has hurt this team.

when fletch didnt add alot of vets last offseason, i knew this team was going to take a step back, too many unknowns on this roster.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

i think fletch has evaluate the roster this offseason like what young players are worth keeping, try to gain cap space and try to sign cheap vets in our backend., in the top 6 and bottom 6. i think too much youth on this team has hurt this team.

when fletch didnt add alot of vets last offseason, i knew this team was going to take a step back, too many unknowns on this roster.

Which is why when I see certain projected lineups for next season, I don't want to see more young kids brought up..and thrown into the proverbial fire. I want to see them grow behind veterans that they can learn from. They need to add a stabilizing, good veteran to the defense, and at least one tough, skilled veteran forward up front. If they don't, next season will be more of the same.

• Like 2

Ed Snider might have had a flawed philosophy...OK DID have a flawed philosophy. Filling in potholes on his roster, with chewing gum, but at least he did something. Doing nothing at the trade deadline, solves nothing. It irritates me, as a fan.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Ed Snider might have had a flawed philosophy...OK DID have a flawed philosophy. Filling in potholes on his roster, with chewing gum, but at least he did something. Doing nothing at the trade deadline, solves nothing. It irritates me, as a fan.

Get ready for doing nothing. Management completely overrates every player in the system, Fletcher doesn't have the cahonies to do something to shake the foundation, and the buffoons in the suits still think this group of softies can make the playoffs. Whatever they are smoking in Flyerland I wanna git me some!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The first week or even two weeks of the season they outplayed everyone. The announcers on NHL Network were picking them for the Stanley Cup finals. I know I heard it and was in agreement as they were renewed.   Something happened Jan /Feb to put this Club in a tailspin. How many more coaches are we gonna change before the we look at the core group. Giroux is good( on the downside of a career)  but Voracheck takes a lot of shifts off. 

Go ahead fire AV he is the only proven winner they have. Laviolette must have been laughing his arse off two nights ago. 

On 5/12/2021 at 4:08 PM, Ezrydr said:

The first week or even two weeks of the season they outplayed everyone. The announcers on NHL Network were picking them for the Stanley Cup finals. I know I heard it and was in agreement as they were renewed.   Something happened Jan /Feb to put this Club in a tailspin. How many more coaches are we gonna change before the we look at the core group. Giroux is good( on the downside of a career)  but Voracheck takes a lot of shifts off. 

Go ahead fire AV he is the only proven winner they have. Laviolette must have been laughing his arse off two nights ago. 

Welcome!

I agree with much of your post. I would say though that two weeks is a small enough sample size to consider them as the anomaly and not the other way around.

As far as firing AV goes, I'm not really sure I care either way. Fact is, AV was brought in to bolster a team that management felt might be on the cusp of being a contender. He has always been in those types of positions. AV has never been the coach of a subpar team (until now). It's entirely possible he doesn't want to be and may want out of his own accord as the team enters what should be a proper rebuild. If that's the case, then fine. It's likely not the best idea to keep a coach who doesn't want to be in his job in the first place. 

That said, if he does decide he wants to stick around and try his hand at a rebuilding club for the first time in his career, then we may as well keep him. He may be unproven in this role, but he's still a very experienced NHL coach. No coach is going to perform a miracle with the tools currently on offer anyway. I would definitely be rid of his entourage though -- therrien, yao, lappy -- all of them should be gone pronto. 

On 4/11/2021 at 10:42 AM, FD19372 said:

Which is why when I see certain projected lineups for next season, I don't want to see more young kids brought up..and thrown into the proverbial fire. I want to see them grow behind veterans that they can learn from. They need to add a stabilizing, good veteran to the defense, and at least one tough, skilled veteran forward up front. If they don't, next season will be more of the same.

How has that been working the past ten years? First you need some veterans who don't quit every other night. The Flyer veterans are honey badgers. They don't give a s#*t. The current crop of veterans on the Flyers have had ample time to lead and teach and have failed miserably. 

• Like 2

As you are all so fast to remind me of my teams problems, yours are not an easy fix either. Do not be surprised if we get to the playoffs before you.   But does it really matter just getting in? Just to be spit out like Montreal and Nashville will be?  The only thing in  store for Montreal is more humiliation.  Maybe better to not make it until you are ready to really go deep.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Fact is, AV was brought in to bolster a team that management felt might be on the cusp of being a contender. He has always been in those types of positions. AV has never been the coach of a subpar team (until now).

Sure and AV has always had one thing to carry him that he didn’t this year.

Goaltending and defense.

Theodore

Loungo

Lundqvist

And well this year it faltered with Hart and Elliott.

I think Hart will be fine but they need to go after a solid vet like a Halak or Khudobin to back him up and they can rebound I think.

And of course tweek the defense.

Clear the dead weight.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure and AV has always had one thing to carry him that he didn’t this year.

Goaltending and defense.

Theodore

Loungo

Lundqvist

And well this year it faltered with Hart and Elliott.

I think Hart will be fine but they need to go after a solid vet like a Halak or Khudobin to back him up and they can rebound I think.

And of course tweek the defense.

Clear the dead weight.

here's my plan, clear the dead wight, keep and bring the young players that are first round picks york, frost, forester and add in the vets from other teams that are first round picks

Read an interesting piece Sunday regarding the Coyotes. Their coach left, the GM would like to build his team, and well its the Yotes, so on it goes, much like the 21st century Flyers. They have a couple of nice young assets and no 1st round pick. Perhaps a deal can be made. Chychryn and Crouse are big and fast, Chychryn has a cannon from the back end.  

Well this is part of fixing it. Owning it. Now go work on it. Fix it.

A few more players need to step up and own it. And try to do better.

Nicolas Aube-Kubel Exit Interview

On toeing the line between being a physical presence and taking penalties

It’s a thing I have to work on, mentally. I have to stay aggressive, not too aggressive, know the fine line. I think I was better in my first year to stay out of the box, but it’s never been my strong suit so I think I’ll have to work on that. I think I kind of did a little bit of a better job at the end of the year but it has to improve.

Why was the forechecking consistency harder to find this season?

I feel like last year I was really in ease with my linemates, everything was going well. We had strong guys with me. Maybe the way we forecheck was a little different. It’s hard to tell because I feel like the forecheck should just be really consistent game after game. It’s kinda an easy thing to do for me. A little harder this year, try to stay physical but sometimes teams watch videos and see what we’re doing. I don’t know, it’s a hard question to answer.

On his “elevated” role this season with veteran departures in offseason

I think my role stayed pretty much the same: a bottom-six guy. As I said earlier, trying to be effective on the forecheck and creating momentum for the team. Try to stay consistent. I think this year was a little harder to do that, but I guess next year we’ll have more experience on our team from all those young guys that will be growing into their game. It’s just promising whatever we have in front of us.

Did penalties give him a bad reputation with referees?

I’m sure on my side I think I didn’t deserve one of them the whole year. I think it’s stick penalties, I gotta work on that. I’m kind of an aggressive guy so I try to take the puck away from guys. This league guys are way too good to do that. I just need to learn from it and maybe watch more videos. Try to learn the game a little more on that side.

Will competition in training camp fuel him for a big season next year?

Every camp I’m fueled up. I’m getting in good workouts during the summer, getting in shape. I’m always ready in camp. Now I have a spot to defend, that was the same thing last year and I think I had a good camp as well. I’m really excited already for next year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this is part of fixing it. Owning it. Now go work on it. Fix it.

A few more players need to step up and own it. And try to do better.

To be honest, I don't really see NAK as a major problem on this team. Sure, he can and will get better, but he's always going to be a supportive piece anyway. What we need are core pieces that can anchor a team. NAK can play well enough to secure a proper mid-six physical presence kind of role all he wants, but that alone won't be nearly enough to make this team into a contender.

Again, I'm definitely happy to see he wants to get better. I just don't see his impact on the team being so significant really. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

As you are all so fast to remind me of my teams problems, yours are not an easy fix either. Do not be surprised if we get to the playoffs before you.   But does it really matter just getting in? Just to be spit out like Montreal and Nashville will be?  The only thing in  store for Montreal is more humiliation.  Maybe better to not make it until you are ready to really go deep.

Haven't said this for about a decade: Shut up Rick; the Sabres blow. 

Now go warm up that jalopy Lumina of yours, and head on over to Applebee's for some gross ass halibut. 

Man that felt good. 

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

To be honest, I don't really see NAK as a major problem on this team.

I'm not saying he is a major problem.

But he was expected to pick up a bigger role after they let Pitlick walk and he didn't take where they thought he would and he took a lot of bad penalties and wasn't as physical like we had saw and expected.

But the kid has one of the best shots and could play on the second line in a pinch with the right linemates. He has some very good hands and a shot that should be used more.

He put up some very good numbers during his juniors years when they relied on him to score more he did so when he has players to work with than just bottom 6 guys.

I just want him to return to form of what we saw last year in 2020 and build on that. The Flyers sorely need a more physical presence in the lineup and he can be one of the guys who brings it and he just has to stay out the box.

But he is part of the problem so he and the rest of the team all have to step up their games if they want out of the hole they are in. And he like everyone else must look in the mirror first and it sounds like he is on the right path and will do his best this offseason to do so to get better.

All you can ask at this point. The whole team needs improving.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't really see NAK as a major problem on this team

How about a major disappointment?

Sure, he can and will get better, but he's always going to be a supportive piece anyway.

I wont hold my breath

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But he is part of the problem so he and the rest of the team all have to step up their games if they want out of the hole they are in.

Since we dont really know what the issue was, i will shape my opinion based on the belief it was internal strife

Assuming thats true, I would hope a young player would seize the day, keep his head down, and really jump on his opportunities. This is my issue with him. You outlined his skill set, but he chose not to put it on display. I dont know what decisions he made, but it seemed to me he should have been watching Farabee more than Voracek 

15 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Since we dont really know what the issue was, i will shape my opinion based on the belief it was internal strife

Assuming thats true, I would hope a young player would seize the day, keep his head down, and really jump on his opportunities. This is my issue with him. You outlined his skill set, but he chose not to put it on display. I dont know what decisions he made, but it seemed to me he should have been watching Farabee more than Voracek 

Yeah he did elude to the constant line juggling didn't really help them develop any chemistry.

But in the end his linemates can't be blame for his dumb penalties which he took a lot of.

He a long with the whole team will have a chance to get their head out their collective asses this next camp and preseason. So it on them to do it. If not well they could find themselves on other teams.

Chuckles has a chance to sort this roster out and i would expect him to give NAK another chance because he was part of the problem but not the biggest problem.

That problem is the guys getting the big checks didn't play up to par as the rest of the other team's big stars. It's why they are golfing now.

The role players need to do just that play well in their roles whatever that may be. And it is to support the top 6. If they do that they will win more games. And that includes being physical as well as get in on the fore check and help out with the back checking.

As we have been back and forth on him i will support him....but i will not lie for him.

He has to be better.

Support.....must support. Now where is that bottle of bourbon....

:beer:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

But in the end his linemates can't be blame for his dumb penalties which he took a lot of.

Yes, dumb.   But even worse than that:  the majority of them were lazy, out of position stick (hooking, tripping, slashing, etc.) penalties.

You can take a dumb penalty from over-exuberance.  Or just taking one at a really bad time.   He's done some of that.  But the majority that I noticed were dumb but because he'd put himself in a position because of laziness and dumb play.

He does need to improve that or his mediocrity won't be enough to balance out the lazy/stupid.     That said, I agree there are worse problems, but he seems to be emblematic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah he did elude to the constant line juggling didn't really help them develop any chemistry.

He a long with the whole team will have a chance to get their head out their collective asses this next camp and preseason. So it on them to do it. If not well they could find themselves on other teams.

Chuckles has a chance to sort this roster out and i would expect him to give NAK another chance because he was part of the problem but not the biggest problem.

That problem is the guys getting the big checks didn't play up to par as the rest of the other team's big stars. It's why they are golfing now.

The role players need to do just that play well in their roles whatever that may be. And it is to support the top 6. If they do that they will win more games. And that includes being physical as well as get in on the fore check and help out with the back checking.

As we have been back and forth on him i will support him....but i will not lie for him.

He has to be better.

Support.....must support. Now where is that bottle of bourbon....

:beer:

im really like jumping back and fourth with should the kids play or not play because what concerns me about bringing them up is the fact they have no chemistry with these current players which is why i think they should stay in lv so they can develop the minors and not have any issues playing with one another, it's like groundhog day all over again, i really think fletch needs input from players like hayes, courturier, laughton, provy, sanheim like what players can they play with?

chemistry is so important and that's the difference between winning and losing.

53 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes, dumb.   But even worse than that:  the majority of them were lazy, out of position stick (hooking, tripping, slashing, etc.) penalties.

You can take a dumb penalty from over-exuberance.  Or just taking one at a really bad time.   He's done some of that.  But the majority that I noticed were dumb but because he'd put himself in a position because of laziness and dumb play.

He does need to improve that or his mediocrity won't be enough to balance out the lazy/stupid.     That said, I agree there are worse problems, but he seems to be emblematic.

I agree. But you have to give him props he owned it and never made an excuse and called some of it his weakness he needs to work on.

I haven't heard that from a few on the team just excuses and those guys are big guns. I won't name names.

But if you see the quotes then you will know.

It impresses me a lot because kid's these days (and not all) always seem to want to blame someone else for their issues.

You'll never fix it that way.

So he made the first step successful.

Now fix it.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:17 PM, OccamsRazor said:

But he was expected to pick up a bigger role after they let Pitlick walk

i think he should still be a reasonable replacement for Pitlick. He’s young and figuring things out.

There’s definitely a danger though if the brass are overvaluing him. I don’t think they are mind you. 

My point in saying he’s not a major problem is simply because i don’t see him as a core player on an NHL team. Much like Pitlick, which i think is a fair comparison in terms of ice time and line placement. NAK should become a serviceable mid to bottom six player. If he can pot in a handful of goals in the process, great, but i’m certainly not going to expect too much of him.

More importantly, until we get a proper core of good players, this team isn’t going anywhere. When i say he’a not a major problem, that’s pretty much what i mean. He doesn’t have the skill level to provide what we need most right now. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, elmatus said:

My point in saying he’s not a major problem is simply because i don’t see him as a core player on an NHL team.

I agree.

He'd have to prove otherwise and if he did good for him.

But this team has bigger issues they need to resolve.

When he is on his game he is exactly what the team needs more of from their bottom six.

• Like 1