What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds like a very smart lady.

How did you nab her?

Chloroform?

Shes a penguins fan. She knew she would always get the be the winner, so she settled

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

One of the big 3 (cough cough), at least by contract,  have to go. I hope it isn't Hayes. For the 1000th time, they NEED a veteran defenseman above else here. Whatever it takes. No player on this team should be untouchable, and it is the fault of the higher ups for giving these players, like Giroux..the power to chose where they want to go. #PhillyHockeyClubMed. Thanks, Ed Snider and his disciples.

*choose where they want to go.

31 minutes ago, CoachX said:

you answered your own question

except we can see it on the ice. Give me an example of where you see, or saw, either of these two do something that shows they are on ice performers and leaders

i mean when i was watching the legion of doom in late 90s and the talent pre 2005 flyers, i have never seen a team play like this, i mean even in that time when they were down a goal, they still fought because of the talent level on those teams and we didnt have the greatest coaches on the planet.

2 hours ago, Fizz said:

The Fletcher/AV

experiment has been a failure so far.

this is the combination that has won a playoff round, something that hasn't happened in almost 10 years.

this part of your statement is patently incorrect.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not following this what vets can't stay in the lineup or has been scratched?? Please explain.

Ghostisbehere, Hagg, Gustafsson.

the vets on defense. Guys with more than 300 NHL games.

14 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, we got what we wished for. I wonder if Gordon takes over as interim. 

Who's sending in their resume as GM candidate?  Actually Dave Scott may be more fan- and win-oriented than we give credit for.  Either that, or Homer and some of the Elders said the culture of winning and competing is dying a slow death.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/cc214912-1baf-384e-975b-c1b1625d83a3/massive-changes-made-to.html

And well hey, if you’ve gotten this far, happy April Fools day!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I saw it, too. It was a good one! Unless SIGNIFICANT players are ALSO moved, this would be an all-too-typical Flyer upper level management...impulsively wrong move.

52 minutes ago, CoachX said:

you answered your own question

except we can see it on the ice. Give me an example of where you see, or saw, either of these two do something that shows they are on ice performers and leaders

Maybe @GratefulFlyersis too young and never saw Robert Earle Clarke play the game. All he did was lead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

I am sorry for the thread and posted an apology. 

My bad,

Howie

'salright, Howie, I saw it this morning and almost did the same thing :hehe:

no apologies necessary

:hocky:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Maybe @GratefulFlyersis too young and never saw Robert Earle Clarke play the game. All he did was lead. 

He was and is the gold standard.

I thought Eric was pretty damn good at it early on. And I seem to remember a guy named Poulin...and Bridgman

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

He was and is the gold standard.

I thought Eric was pretty damn good at it early on. And I seem to remember a guy named Poulin...and Bridgman

Poulin is the first guy I actually saw play.

I was little when I saw BC play -I don't really remember him as a player, I was 7 or 8 I think

I was never impressed with Lindros' leadership, now the way he played, completely different story there was a 3 year stretch where he was a bull in a china shop and the best player in the league.

I thought BrindD'amour should have been the captain of those teams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Konecny was our top scorer last season. He was 32nd in the NHL as a 22 year old.Provorov our best defenceman. He of 19 goals (tied for league lead) just a couple seasons ago. Sanheim/Myers looked like they were turning into a very good pairing. Hart was looking like a complete stud. Lindblom like a steal before he got sick. Something stinks in that lockerroom. Players don't collectively all stink in one season for nothing.

Again, those are all good players (Provorov very good), but none of them looked like locks to be all-stars year in and year out.  Konecny turned 23 last year and is 24 now.  Sanheim/Myers looked like they could be a good pairing, but got exposed against the Islanders.  One good season followed by one bad season is what separates good players from great players.

If all you have are good players (as opposed to great, HOF level), you need a lot of them (like the Kings did) to have a shot at winning .  And I think the Kings top players were much better than the Flyers top players are, even viewing the latter in the most favorable light. And I don't see the current crop or pipeline having a single great player.  YMMV.

• Like 1

Comparing anyone in the NHL past or present to Bobby Clarke is ... kind of silly. Never mind the different era, or what he rose above to play pro hockey, there have been very few men who succeeded in the NHL like Clarke. He's right up there with the all-time greats of the game. So please, come back to Earth and let's discuss things reasonably lol!