What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

Just reading on Fan Sided that Matthew Tkachuk wants out of Calgary.  This might be a player that I would have no problems parting with Sanheim, Konecny and a 1st. That kind of physical presence would open up things for Farabee and others.  Of course,  the Flyers would need to get rid of more salary,  but that would be a lot of fun watching Tkachuk, Farabee and Couturier go to work. 

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Just reading on Fan Sided that Matthew Tkachuk wants out of Calgary.  This might be a player that I would have no problems parting with Sanheim, Konecny and a 1st. That kind of physical presence would open up things for Farabee and others.  Of course,  the Flyers would need to get rid of more salary,  but that would be a lot of fun watching Tkachuk, Farabee and Couturier go to work. 

This one would be really tempting for me.   I wouldn't want to include Konecny because he's the type of player--when engaged--that brings a little of that sandpaper.  We just didn't see it this year, and I'm hopeful that is the anomaly.   My small concern with Tkachuk is that he seemingly disappears at the wrong times.  But I'd still kick those tires mostly out of "fan boy."    I'm not excited to get rid of Sanheim, either, but we have people coming that might be a suitable replacement there.   You have to give up to get, so...

I think I'd start with inserting someone--even a prospect--instead of Konecny, though.   I want to believe this year was a speed bump.

29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I wouldn't want to include Konecny because he's the type of player--when engaged--that brings a little of that sandpaper.

Yes this is my issue too. 

But the Blues may end up with Tkachuk anyways maybe.

If so maybe we can trade them his cousin. Hollywood.

Maybe Tkachuk would want to come to Philly for him.

Hayes for Parayko. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I dunno, seems like they are chock full of this type of player

Somewhere in there, you need to find some badass offensive talent

How did the Flyers miss this gem not once but twice???

How????? Why???

Maybe that is why NAK is your fav.

:bonkingheadonwall:

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

This one would be really tempting for me.   I wouldn't want to include Konecny because he's the type of player--when engaged--that brings a little of that sandpaper.  We just didn't see it this year, and I'm hopeful that is the anomaly.   My small concern with Tkachuk is that he seemingly disappears at the wrong times.  But I'd still kick those tires mostly out of "fan boy."    I'm not excited to get rid of Sanheim, either, but we have people coming that might be a suitable replacement there.   You have to give up to get, so...

I think I'd start with inserting someone--even a prospect--instead of Konecny, though.   I want to believe this year was a speed bump.

I think the idea with Konecny is that Brink can replace what Konecny brings to the table and then there's Foerster waiting in the wings. And honestly, Matt Tkachuk would add an element to the club that it hasn't seem since the days of probably Rick Tocchet. Having that ornery son of a bitch that goes into the corners and hammers people would be a bonus to this group.  Maybe instead of Konecny, we throw Patrick and a defenseman like Attard.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think the idea with Konecny is that Brink can replace what Konecny brings to the table and then there's Foerster waiting in the wings. And honestly, Matt Tkachuk would add an element to the club that it hasn't seem since the days of probably Rick Tocchet. Having that ornery son of a bitch that goes into the corners and hammers people would be a bonus to this group.  Maybe instead of Konecny, we throw Patrick and a defenseman like Attard.

Until Brink, or Foerster or anyone else can replace what Konecny brings, they can't. 

Tkachuk doesn't bring what Tocchet brought. Tocchet made sure the douchebag on the other team didn't mess with his teammates. If they did Tocchet punched their lights out. Tkachuk IS the douchebag. And most of the fights I've seen him in, he's the one getting his lights punched out.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm fine with this.    I get the Konecny involvement, especially from Calgary's side; I just want to avoid it if I can.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Maybe instead of Konecny, we throw Patrick and a defenseman like Attard.

If they take that Patrick deal for Tkachuk, I'll be STUNNED. I would try Voracek, Attard and a high to mid round pick before any of that. You never know until you ask Treliving.

Edited by FD19372

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Until Brink, or Foerster or anyone else can replace what Konecny brings, they can't. 

Tkachuk doesn't bring what Tocchet brought. Tocchet made sure the douchebag on the other team didn't mess with his teammates. If they did Tocchet punched their lights out. Tkachuk IS the douchebag. And most of the fights I've seen him in, he's the one getting his lights punched out.

I don't care so much about that. He needs to create space and intimidate ON the ice. I don't want my hypothetical first line winger in the box, being an enforcer unless it's absolutely necessary.

15 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Maybe instead of Konecny, we throw Patrick and a defenseman like Attard.

This is why I can't take my fellow Flyers fans here.  This trade wouldn't net you a zamboni driver, let alone Tkachuk.

32 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

This is why I can't take my fellow Flyers fans here.  This trade wouldn't net you a zamboni driver, let alone Tkachuk.

let's gut this team and do a rebuild, just don' trade anyone to do it. Ignore the fact that you have no cap space.

I don't see the problem

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

How did the Flyers miss this gem not once but twice???

Buffalo picked six other guys. Columbus and Nashville four each. Washington twice. Colorado took Conor Bleackley in the first round.

For that matter, Point has just 92 fewer goals than the entire second round taken in 2014.

It happens...

:hocky:

• Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Buffalo picked six other guys. Columbus and Nashville four each. Washington twice. Colorado took Conor Bleackley in the first round.

For that matter, Point has just 92 fewer goals than the entire second round taken in 2014.

It happens...

Wait.  Are you implying that there are other NHL teams other than the Flyers?  

new here willy wonka GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

It happens...

Tampa themselves had three picks before taking Point.

Tony DeAngelo  (19)

Dominick Masin  (35) (who?)

Johnathan Macloud (57)  (who?)

It's not like they were smarter or knew something no one else did.  

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

you mean we can't assume every gm in the league is as dumb as ours?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

5 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

you mean we can't assume every gm in the league is as dumb as ours?

Well, Treliving isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer,  so it's very possible he might take even less for Tkachuk (although there are reports coming out that the Tkachuk request is nothing more than speculation from Shane O'Brien,  who has no pull or inside information in the Calgary locker room)

another thing what does some fans hate chuck so much? like what is so special about the other candidates when they fired hextall? i mean it's like these gms that we were in on them that won cups or something which isnt the case.

when they fired hextall, i didnt know what was out there because there wasnt a good crop of gms, alot of them unproven, none of them have won cups like darn if we do darn if we dont. i probably would have went with chuck as well because of his track record as a gm with the wild. it might fail it might not, i dont know. i mean if there was someone we passed on like it was a slam dunk, i would absolutely be furious.

3 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

another thing what does some fans hate chuck so much? like what is so special about the other candidates when they fired hextall? i mean it's like these gms that we were in on them that won cups or something which isnt the case.

when they fired hextall, i didnt know what was out there because there wasnt a good crop of gms, alot of them unproven, none of them have won cups like darn if we do darn if we dont. i probably would have went with chuck as well because of his track record as a gm with the wild. it might fail it might not, i dont know. i mean if there was someone we passed on like it was a slam dunk, i would absolutely be furious.

I won't speak for anyone else, but Fletcher's track record is not incredibly impressive and leaves quite a bit to be desired. His tenure in Minnesota was nothing to be confident in. 

The candidate who I hoped would have gotten the GM job was Mark Hunter.  I know that people will say "well he managed a junior hockey team", but fact is, he took over a junior club that was awful for years and revamped everything. Not only that,  but the parent company of Budweiser Gardens in London was Comcast, so there was familiarity there.  I think the big reason they went with Fletcher was because he's easily intimidated by ownership. When you look at the last couple of years of his tenure in Minnesota, it was ownership that dictated the contracts to Suter and Parise. It was ownership who dictated the move for Martin Hanzal. Prior to that,  Fletcher was just middle of the road with no coherent plan and Brent Flahr was along for the ride. 

I hope Fletcher proves everyone wrong and he is an astute GM. But everything so far seems to indicate he's a reactive, not proactive GM.

• Like 3

Report: Flyers among many teams interested in Seth Jones
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2184829

Buckle up. The price for this deal is going to be astronomical. Kiss Sanheim/Myers goodbye, kiss a forward goodbye, kiss a prospect like Frost or Foerster goodbye and kiss draft picks goodbye. Please let Chicago outbid the Flyers for Jones. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Report: Flyers among many teams interested in Seth Jones
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2184829

Buckle up. The price for this deal is going to be astronomical. Kiss Sanheim/Myers goodbye, kiss a forward goodbye, kiss a prospect like Frost or Foerster goodbye and kiss draft picks goodbye. Please let Chicago outbid the Flyers for Jones. 

Oh God, Chicago, pony up!

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I won't speak for anyone else, but Fletcher's track record is not incredibly impressive and leaves quite a bit to be desired. His tenure in Minnesota was nothing to be confident in. 

The candidate who I hoped would have gotten the GM job was Mark Hunter.  I know that people will say "well he managed a junior hockey team", but fact is, he took over a junior club that was awful for years and revamped everything.

look at buffalo when they hire their gms with no experience in the nhl, it's a dumpster fire. you got to have a gm that has experience that understands what schemes and identitys work in the nhl, you cant just hire anyone and expect it to work.

it's all about a blueprint. 

Just now, tucson83 said:

look at buffalo when they hire their gms with no experience in the nhl, it's a dumpster fire. you got to have a gm that has experience that understands what schemes and identitys work in the nhl, you cant just hire anyone and expect it to work.

it's all about a blueprint. 

No, it's about competence in doing the job. You point to Buffalo, but I can point to Bill Zito in Florida or Jim Nill in Dallas.  Or how about Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman? Or Rob Blake? Or Brian MacLellan? Or Bill Guerin? All of the people I listed had no prior GM experience before becoming GMs. And no, not having experience as a GM doesn't mean one can't be successful.  Buffalo's problem has always been the Pegula family and their insistence that they know lots about hockey operations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nine years. Six playoffs. Two Round wins. Two Second round game wins.

Built the franchise around the wrong two players based on the insistence of upper management.

A penchant for taking players based in large part upon them being from a geographic region.

What's not to like?

Edited by radoran