What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

And, can you imagine the fallout if the Flyers hired some guy with no GM experience, and he subsequently laid an egg?

Yeah, that would go over like a fart in church

Probably. Buy ultimately no different than the experienced who've laid eggs.

Hunter has more experience than Clarke did or Holmgren did when they became z Flyers GMs.  More than Joe Sakic.  I *think* more than Yzerman.  A former player like any of them but one with several years running an entire junior hockey organization that drafts, trades, sells tickets, massages rabid fans etc., and did it with more success than most.

I don't have an answer for why no one else has done it but continues to recycle failures. It honestly gives me pause.   But I would have preferred it to Fletcher, who was a miserable failure in Minnesota and has yet to change my mind since he's here.  I do like his Niskanen/Gudas trade. A lot. He couldn't have known what Niskanen would do the following season and the timing of it.  I won't hold that against him.  

I don't know. I'd like to see the guy who did it at the junior level who wants to prove he can repeat it at the major league level over the guy with track record of failure but who management knows will follow stupid orders.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I just think if he was that good, he would have been hired as a GM by someone before now.

That could be said about every prospect too that slips through the scouts and slides to the 3rd round...

9 hours ago, CoachX said:

I'll take your word for it. You're way smarter than I, on matters such as these. I don't know the guy from the next. I just think if he was that good, he would have been hired as a GM by someone before now. And, can you imagine the fallout if the Flyers hired some guy with no GM experience, and he subsequently laid an egg?

Yeah, that would go over like a fart in church

He owns the London Knights. I hate to say it but they may be the benchmark when it comes to a junior franchise. Maybe he prefers it there, I don't know. But he sure knows talent when he sees it.

Why are we talking about Hunter?  He never played for the Flyers (or served popcorn in the team suite), so he's got no shot at being hired.  Mike York has a better shot at being the next Flyers GM.

Edited by SCFlyguy
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That could be said about every prospect too that slips through the scouts and slides to the 3rd round...

there is a big difference between a player slipping to the thrid round, and a coach/gm candidate not getting a GM job for over 20 years

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Why are we talking about Hunter?  He never played for the Flyers (or served popcorn in the team suite), so he's got no shot at being hired.  Mike York has a better shot at being the next Flyers GM.

Mike York would never serve popcorn. That **** would be gone before he ever got it to the table

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

there is a big difference between a player slipping to the thrid round, and a coach/gm candidate not getting a GM job for over 20 years

Sliding by unnoticed is just what it is....spin it however you want. Many listen to others opinions when they don't trust their own.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

He couldn't have known what Niskanen would do the following season and the timing of it.  I won't hold that against him.

Depends. He told them in the exit interview and they said well think about it over the summer and let us know. So that was more on them for not taking him more seriously thinking hey he will come back and they should have planned as such....and they slept on it and well got burned when he didn't change his mind and well they ended up with Gus as a patch....that was doomed from the start.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I won't hold that against him. 

That is fine i will.

Just looking at Montreal dispatching the Knights so handily just makes me madder it feels.

A team everyone said shouldn't even been  allowed to be in the playoffs last year a team that the Flyers struggled with but eventually overcame and sent packing.

And they go home to lick their wounds but their GM was on a mission and he seemed to have identified what his club was lacking and he went out knowing he could be fired soon if he didn't make huge changes and he went out and make the changes they needed to get them to where they are today.

The finals with only 4 games left to win it all.

This too could be the Flyers if their GM took an honest look at this club and identified it's weakness and strengths and has eliminating their weakness as priority #1.

Sure this transition doesn't have to take place all in one year like it did with Montreal (i highly doubt anyone gets that lucky) but it needs to start this offseason for next season.

And that centers around moving out dead weight and even picking up some salary to start this thing rolling forward.

Cancer removal starts now...sorry so strong to start the day and i haven't even had any bourbon yet.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Depends. He told them in the exit interview and they said well think about it over the summer and let us know. So that was more on them for not taking him more seriously thinking hey he will come back and they should have planned as such....and they slept on it and well got burned when he didn't change his mind and well they ended up with Gus as a patch....that was doomed from the start.

I'm not sure how they do this, unless they immediately accept his "resignation" and wipe his cap hit.  Otherwise, I'm not sure how they succession plan with his cap still in place.   What if he changes his mind?  They're stuck somewhere.   If what you meant is "read the tea leaves, accept his retirement, and make moves now!" then yes, I agree.  

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is fine i will.

Just to be clear, this was specifically about the Niskanen thing, not the utter failure to address other needs.   I agree with everything you said after that, it's just that I'm not positive it was relative to Niskanen.

The Niskanen thing was the only place I was willing to give him a mulligan.   The rest, yeah.  Too slow, too hesitant, too timid.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This too could be the Flyers if their GM took an honest look at this club and identified it's weakness and strengths and has eliminating their weakness as priority #1

For me, this off season, more specifically where we are right this moment, is the deciding factor. There are no more excuses. Covid is over. The team blows goats. The coach aint going anywhere. Time to shape this roster. I want to see blockbuster moves, and I'm okay with gutting this roster.

I suspect by the start of the season, I will hate this guy as much as I do Voracek

57 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I'm okay with gutting this roster.

Sure count me in too. But the return could change my mind like the first JVR trade.

I endorsed trading the bum just didn't like the return...and they may have been better off just keeping him and enjoying his best years since what they reaped in return.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Who cares what moves they make, when it's the same old boys networking making them?

That's where I pretty much am.  Like, to what point?  Whether it's trade or draft, this clown car is only going to screw it up.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That's where I pretty much am.  Like, to what point?  Whether it's trade or draft, this clown car is only going to screw it up.

We can help but think that way till they show us otherwise nothing we have seen in the last few offseasons new GM or not shows us things are changing.

And I think it is what most of us who have to watch this sh it fest want. Change.

• Good Post 1

On 6/25/2021 at 9:35 PM, ruxpin said:

Whether it's trade or draft, this clown car is only going to screw it up.

1) Elliotte Friedman reported on Friday that it appears that the Flyers remain one of the most active pursuers of a trade with Columbus for Seth Jones among the many teams expressing interest. According to other sources, it would be a deal that includes the Flyers sending NHL roster players, draft picks and/or prospects. There may also be another piece (a goalie such as Jonas Korpisalo?) coming to Philadelphia in a potential blockbuster deal. Presumably, this is predicated on Jones signing an extension and forgoing unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2022.

We shall see. Right now, the Flyers seem to get mentioned in most every rumor involving a prominent name -- Pierre LeBrun linked the Flyers as one of the teams on the radar screen for Buffalo center Jack Eichel, for example, although the New York Post's Larry Brooks said the New York Rangers have had preliminary discussions with the Sabres and are doing their due diligence on Eichel's neck injury as part of the process.

Click bait for today....

:bonkingheadonwall:

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

1) Elliotte Friedman reported on Friday that it appears that the Flyers remain one of the most active pursuers of a trade with Columbus for Seth Jones among the many teams expressing interest. According to other sources, it would be a deal that includes the Flyers sending NHL roster players, draft picks and/or prospects. There may also be another piece (a goalie such as Jonas Korpisalo?) coming to Philadelphia in a potential blockbuster deal. Presumably, this is predicated on Jones signing an extension and forgoing unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2022.

We shall see. Right now, the Flyers seem to get mentioned in most every rumor involving a prominent name -- Pierre LeBrun linked the Flyers as one of the teams on the radar screen for Buffalo center Jack Eichel, for example, although the New York Post's Larry Brooks said the New York Rangers have had preliminary discussions with the Sabres and are doing their due diligence on Eichel's neck injury as part of the process.

Click bait for today....

:bonkingheadonwall:

Interesting.  I'd read the Rangers walked away.   But that was a couple of days ago, and this seems to change by the hour.   I think you're on the right track with the "click bait" thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Interesting.  I'd read the Rangers walked away.   But that was a couple of days ago, and this seems to change by the hour.   I think you're on the right track with the "click bait" thought.

I seen stir of the Nolan Patrick to the Oilers swirled about....not sure where that originates from.

I would do a Patrick for Bouchard swap....not sure either reach expectations. Not sure if the Oil would.

12 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Did the salary cap go up by $20M when I wasn't looking?

in relation to the Jones/Eichel question?

Jones is under contract for 5 mil next season. Its the extension that causes the problem. But that gives the Flyers a season to figure that out, and I think Giroux comes off the books