What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

35 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, we got what we wished for. I wonder if Gordon takes over as interim. 

Who's sending in their resume as GM candidate?  Actually Dave Scott may be more fan- and win-oriented than we give credit for.  Either that, or Homer and some of the Elders said the culture of winning and competing is dying a slow death.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/cc214912-1baf-384e-975b-c1b1625d83a3/massive-changes-made-to.html

Well for now i haven't seen anything for certain or who would go.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I thought BrindD'amour should have been the captain of those teams.

This has long been the problem of the Flyers' organization* too often forcing players into situations they are not suited for.

Lindros "had to" wear the "C"

Making Forsberg captain for the first time in his career

Giving Smith the "C" as an "incentive to re-sign"

Richards was "captain in waiting" before he was even drafted

Giroux has been horribly miscast and would have been better suited being the playmaking LW he was drafted as, wearing an "A"

The Flyers see the "C" as a PR move more than anything else. It has not served them well.

I will go to my grave believing that if they had given Timonen the C instead of Smith there would have been a several year transition to Richards that would have made the eventual/inevitable ascension of Richards easier for him.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok wow.

April's fool they got me because i was pre occupied with my daughter who is home from school faking sick daddy get me this daddy get me that.

I was wondering why i didn't see anything anywhere else.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We have no choice but to give up a prospect or pick, plus pay some salary to get rid of Jake. If there was ever a time JVR is most valuable ,it’s now, he is the only big contract we might be able to trade, if not pray Seattle takes him. Let G know we are not re-signing him , so he has a few options ,we can try and trade him to a contender or a preferred location or he can finish his last season in Philly as a disgruntled player if he denies our request. That’s at least 2 bad contracts we can shed and at worst, one more year for G. He might accept a trade at next years deadline for a Cup run, the other teams would not have a problem because we would have paid most of his salary for the year and they could have him for a Cup run.

So we get rid of JVR, ok I can get behind that, As for G I like the idea of telling him he won't be re-signed, this forces his hand. If he still refuses to be traded put his ass on wavers get that 9 mil off the books, use it for a younger FA in the offseason. Jake I just don't know what to do with. I hate retaining salary, but this team needs a major shake up.

I am fed up with G and Jake they just aren't top players and not worth their contracts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Occ:

I apologize--got sucked in by the earnest delivery until the end.  I didn't do my source check........

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Ghostisbehere, Hagg, Gustafsson.

the vets on defense. Guys with more than 300 NHL games.

Yeah ok but not the real ones we need to be scratched. It is why nothing has changed really.

Just now, Howie58 said:

Occ:

I apologize--got sucked in by the earnest delivery until the end.  I didn't do my source check........

You got me i was scrambling on this oh sh it not this again...it was a very well placed joke.

• Like 1

Just now, Howie58 said:

Playing Gustafsson is the real head scratcher.  Ghost was on the mend and looked fairly decent with Sam.  

Well maybe some new blood will help...

Guess we'll see....could Oskar and Patrick be a scratch for a future trade soon???

Protecting assets??

42 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this is the combination that has won a playoff round, something that hasn't happened in almost 10 years.

this part of your statement is patently incorrect.

Seriously a playoff round? Yeah we barely beat the Canadians the 8 seed then lost to the 7th seed.

Yeah that is something to be proud of and a notch in any GM/HC resumé.

• Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Comparing anyone in the NHL past or present to Bobby Clarke is ... kind of silly. Never mind the different era, or what he rose above to play pro hockey, there have been very few men who succeeded in the NHL like Clarke. He's right up there with the all-time greats of the game. So please, come back to Earth and let's discuss things reasonably lol!

my point is talent matters, nothing from that has changed. if you dont have enough talent in this league, you are not going to win championships, it's simple as that. coaches dont turn players in ovi and crosby players, it's what they are.

I see Giroux and Voracek is a very touchy subject around here, people literally saying they haven't contributed anything positive. If that's an opinion I respect it. Putting it down as a fact is just laughable.

But by all means get rid of both. Be sure to keep that great 2nd line center who skates in mud, backchecks when he's got no other choice and is as streaky as Halley's Comet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I see Giroux and Voracek is a very touchy subject around here, people literally saying they haven't contributed anything positive. If that's an opinion I respect it. Putting it down as a fact is just laughable.

But by all means get rid of both. Be sure to keep that great 2nd line center who skates in mud, backchecks when he's got no other choice and is as streaky as Halley's Comet.

At least one has to go. Seriously. I want a player with a mean streak, that can play and battles every night. Neither of these players do.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

No, my assertion is that they're simply not good enough players to build the team around.

I don't disagree. Neither of them are game-breaking HOF players. They can play like one occasionally but as you say not enough to "build the team around."

The mistake the Flyers made was "wasting" their best years in semi-rebuild mode under Hextall. You could argue he had no choice I guess but a better rebuild would've moved them back then, when they both still had real value.

Fast-fwd to today my only point is the Flyers have much bigger problems than Giroux or Voracek. (unless either or both are truly the source of the uninspired play)

10 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Neither of them are game-breaking HOF players. They can play like one occasionally but as you say not enough to "build the team around."

The problem is the vets (core) were leaned on heavily last night and got beat by a team on a 18 game losing streak..........without their best player.

Sure it doesn't help that arguably the Flyers too where without one of theirs too... ...while he gathers himself, still no excuse for the lineup.

Braun and Gus helped the Sabres greatly picking up 3 assists....hey guys THE OTHER NET!!!

Anyways time for a second cup of coffee. Be back.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The mistake the Flyers made was "wasting" their best years in semi-rebuild mode under Hextall. You could argue he had no choice I guess but a better rebuild would've moved them back then, when they both still had real value.

IMO, the organization* had to make the Homer decision to sign and then trade Crater and Richards work. They had to show that they won the trades.

And when I say "had to" I mean that they couldn't have the move the GM and then President of the organization* made revealed as a failure - especially as the stars of Escape from Dry Island went on to get their names on the Grail.

Spoiler alert: they didn't "win the trades."

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Fizz said:

So what do you propose Fletcher do? Place the whole team on wavers? Or maybe you are happy with this sh** show night in and night out.

Please tell me what you would do?

I can't wait.

swap entire team with the phantoms :NinjaLookLeftRight1:....just exchange jerseys

• Like 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I'd take him right now to get rid of Jake and he is 36. Would L.A. bite on that?? 

LA's in complete and total cap hell at the moment and I don't see them adding two years and $3M for Jake...

And I honestly don't see Homer signing off on that.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd take him right now to get rid of Jake and he is 36. Would L.A. bite on that?? 

Can we get Quick, too? I don't think he's quite done, yet.

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

LA's in complete and total cap hell at the moment

What are you seeing that i'm not?? Did someone spike my coffee when i wasn't looking?

8.4 mill and 37 mill at the deadline???

LOS ANGELES KINGS

Los Angeles Kings
PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $73,081,936
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $8,418,064
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $25,697,248
DEADLINE CAP SPACE Tooltip : $37,557,516
TODAYS CAP HIT Tooltip : $74,625,118

Right now they have one goal.

The goal is by the time the season ends to have swapped at least places with Boston.

That is it...don't look beyond that. But no way this team can do that. Or at least from what i have saw.

But right now a regulation win versus anyone would be a change....

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What are you seeing that i'm not?? Did someone spike my coffee when i wasn't looking?

8.4 mill and 37 mill at the deadline???

LOS ANGELES KINGS

Los Angeles Kings
PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $73,081,936
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $8,418,064
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $25,697,248
DEADLINE CAP SPACE Tooltip : $37,557,516
TODAYS CAP HIT Tooltip : $74,625,118

They've got 40% of their cap tied up in five guys (would be more if they added Jake and subtracted Crater).

They have six pending RFAs and Iafallo is UFA.

They haven't won a playoff round since they won the Cup.

I don't see where adding Jake helps them with much of anything.

Edited by radoran

1 hour ago, Fizz said:

Seriously a playoff round? Yeah we barely beat the Canadians the 8 seed then lost to the 7th seed.

Yeah that is something to be proud of and a notch in any GM/HC resumé.

yes, seriously.

The team had not advanced since 2012. That is 9 years.

Also, barely beating the Canadiens is still beating the Canadiens. The same team that eviscerated the Pens.

The 7th seed ? You're talking about the Islanders right ? 

That team beat the Flyers every time they played last year until the playoffs. The team that's sitting in 2nd right now, the team that had JG Pagueau as their 3rd line centerman last year...yes?

okay that was a bad team, in no one's opinion but yours. 

Fletcher and Vigneault are failures? when combined they've had the most success of any tandem in in 10 years in their first year as a team...

You are wrong.

It's okay I am too sometimes. 

Edited by mojo1917