What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

Which Flyers actually got COVID? That could explain a lot. I didn’t follow close enough to know who got sick from it vs got exposed to it.

I read somewhere that a COVID patient’s lungs look worse than a lifelong cigarette smoker’s. Not every patient of course but apparently the virus takes a toll on the respiratory system.  

Nobody wants to hear excuses but if guys were sick with COVID....the long term effects and even the shorter term, i.e. a few months are unknown. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Not getting the most out of the players you have be they good or bad that's on the coach.

then riddle me this.... there is NO guarantee the players respond to the next coach. Then what? Do you go onto Coach X? Or onto Coach Y and Z? At what point does this vicious cycle end?

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Fizz said:

Frankly we weren't a very good team last year and we aren't a very good team this year.

Yeah i think that hot run we saw before the shut down fooled us all...just a mirage.  

Same goes for that round robin when they beat the Caps, Bruins and Bolts then barely scrapped past Montreal before being bounced by the Isles.

#MIRAGE

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 4

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i think that hot run we saw before the shut down fooled us all...just a mirage.  

Same goes for that round robin when they beat the Caps, Bruins and Bolts then barely scrapped pass Montreal before being bounced by the Isles. #MIRAGE

i seem to recall that the same leaders were getting called out by av before covid hit too. https://www.letsgoflyers.net/articles/alain-vigneault-calls-out-giroux-line/

they were playing disappearing acts last season too, it just got worse now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tucson83 said:

he's talking about homer signing giroux and hextall signing jake and jvr.

In many ways - by which I mean all ways - this can all be traced back to the Bryzgalov signing.

The fact that Flyers brass were trolled so massively by a Russian prankster to the tune of $8M per, or whatever the hell it was, should hang around the necks of the Flyers organization in an albatross of shame for another century. I assume that was Homer, but I can't even be bothered to look it up, such is the state of things.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Where in my post did I say Fletcher made all the deals?

"That's on the GM" doesn't indicate that you're blaming more than one especially in context of your apparent  desire to exonerate the players and indict everyone who isn't actually on the ice.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

In many ways - by which I mean all ways - this can all be traced back to the Bryzgalov signing.

The fact that Flyers brass were trolled so massively by a Russian prankster to the tune of $8M per, or whatever the hell it was, should hang around the necks of the Flyers organization in an albatross of shame for another century. I assume that was Homer, but I can't even be bothered to look it up, such is the state of things.

That was indeed Homer

Signing Bryz wasn't a terrible idea.

The contract was absurd and handcuffed the organization.

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

That was indeed Homer

Signing Bryz wasn't a terrible idea.

The contract was absurd and handcuffed the organization.

i think the only time we actually had a chance in hextall's era was when ror and doggie were on trading block and he passed on both of them and of course trotz was available and he kept hak like mind blogging moves because we had cap space before he signed jvr which made me furious and i wanted him gone after that offseason like the talent was right there, we could have probably won the cup and probably would have been a better team right now but his dumb i want to sit on his butt approach really hurt this team's chances of winning because we had to settle for lesser talent when fletch took over.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

i think the only time we actually had a chance in hextall's era was when ror and doggie were on trading block and he passed on both of them and of course trotz was available and he kept hak like mind blogging moves because we had cap space before he signed jvr which made me furious and i wanted him gone after that offseason like the talent was right there, we could have probably won the cup and probably would have been a better team right now but his dumb i want to sit on his butt approach really hurt this team's chances of winning because we had to settle for lesser talent when fletch took over.

Not firing Hak was his major mistake.

If he could have gotten ROR he blew it.

• Good Post 1

51 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

then riddle me this.... there is NO guarantee the players respond to the next coach. Then what? Do you go onto Coach X? Or onto Coach Y and Z? At what point does this vicious cycle end?

Well That is a good question. I think you change the coach once if that doesn't get the players attention then make major roster changes.

Calgary seems to have turned a corner with Sutter as the new HC. But only time will tell.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Same goes for that round robin when they beat the Caps, Bruins and Bolts then barely scrapped pass Montreal before being bounced by the Isles. #MIRAGE

Agree 100% on this.

16 minutes ago, Fizz said:

I think you change the coach once if that doesn't get the players attention then make major roster changes.

So then the time to do this was about six years ago or at the very least when they made the last GM/coach change two years ago.

The two constants in all of this are Giroux and Voracek and it is just not working.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

So then the time to do this was about six years ago or at the very least when they made the last GM/coach change two years ago.

The two constants in all of this are Giroux and Voracek and it is just not working.

You know you keep arguing telling me everything I'm saying is wrong. But no where have you sad what needs to happen to fix this and how to do it.

Although I'm flattered with your obsession with my posts I sure would like to hear your solution and plan.

I have said mine, Fire AV and bring in Babcock.

3 minutes ago, Fizz said:

You know you keep arguing telling me everything I'm saying is wrong. But no where have you sad what needs to happen to fix this and how to do it.

Although I'm flattered with your obsession with my posts I sure would like to hear your solution and plan.

I have said mine, Fire AV and bring in Babcock

No offense meant, but it's time to ask: are you, or have you ever been. a member or close associate of the Babock family?

Seriously.

Edited by Podein25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

thank you for proving my point we have gone through 5 coaches in the past 10 yrs. And guess what... the core has been with the 5 past five coaches. Head coaches have been changed and per your own words if they still don’t respond then it is time moving players. Guess what... it is that time to start moving players.

Ok, fair. So the whole thing is on the GM's from the past 10 years for keeping these crappy players and giving huge contracts to undeserving players. While I don't think you are entirely wrong, all the GM's must have seen something in the players.

For the record I think Hextall was on the right track with this team his downfall was refusing to fire Hakstol, who should never been a NHL HC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Same goes for that round robin when they beat the Caps, Bruins and Bolts then barely scrapped past Montreal before being bounced by the Isles.

#MIRAGE

I disagree, looking at the team before the COVID BREAK they were limiting shots to the outside,  limiting scoring chances.  It was repeatable and it didn't matter who they played. This is why I don't think it was a mirage.

During the "hot streak" their losses were 1 goal losses to the Briuns and the Lightning.  Both games the Flyers could have won.

I think the rot is acute to this season. I think the mediocrity may be more systemic.

Certainly the two best players for the last 10 years  weren't Crosby and Malkin level players, G& V also had little help for many of those years.

• Like 1

Where's Iron Mike Keenan? Still in Russia? He'll break the veterans' on this team a*ses...and they'll waive their no-trade clauses within about a week. Bunch of pansies.

Edited by FD19372

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

No offense meant, but it's time to ask: are you, or have you ever been. a member or close associate of the Babock family?

Seriously.

Not at all, Just think he is the kind of coach this team needs at this point and time, and he is available. Heck he might tell thr Flyers to take a flying leap but IMO he is a better coach than AV.

As of March 2021, he is the only coach to gain entry to the Triple Gold Club (Stanley Cup title, IIHF World Championship title, and Olympic gold medal in men's ice hockey). He guided the Red Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2008; he led Team Canada to gold at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships in 2004; and he led Team Canada to gold at both the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, and the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Babcock is the only coach to win six distinct national or international titles. In addition to the three distinct titles described above, he guided Canada to gold at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, to gold at the IIHF World Junior Championships in 1997, and the University of Lethbridge to the CIS University Cup in 1994.

Tell me is is not more qualified than AV.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Which Flyers actually got COVID? That could explain a lot. I didn’t follow close enough to know who got sick from it vs got exposed to it.

I read somewhere that a COVID patient’s lungs look worse than a lifelong cigarette smoker’s. Not every patient of course but apparently the virus takes a toll on the respiratory system.  

Nobody wants to hear excuses but if guys were sick with COVID....the long term effects and even the shorter term, i.e. a few months are unknown. 

I know Braun, Giroux and Konecny had the virus with symptoms. 

I think Jake was symptom free.

Those are the only players I've heard of directly.

There were a lot of guys on the COVID list though Sanhiem and Lindblom...it was a lot of players.

8 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Where's Iron Mike Keenan? Still in Russia? He'll break the veterans' on this team a*ses...and they'll waive their no-trade clauses within about a week. Bunch of pansies.

**** that guy. 

Bring Fonzie in - he's won this century and is a  quote machine.

2 minutes ago, Fizz said:

So the whole thing is on the GM's from the past 10 years for keeping these crappy players and giving huge contracts to undeserving players

soooo do you think Jake deserves his contract? It never  should have been made.   Same goes with McDud a totally overvalued D-man

4 minutes ago, Fizz said:

all the GM's must have seen something in the players.

GM’s make mistakes all the time, especially in valuing players...  see Roseman, Howie.

5 minutes ago, Fizz said:

For the record I think Hextall was on the right track with this team his downfall was refusing to fire Hakstol, who should never been a NHL HC.

Agree but but Hak was a coach either rightly or wrongly. But that does not explain the piss poor play these players had with Lavy and or The Chief Berube.

As Truman once said ... the Buck stops here. Time to jettison the dead weight from this team...

• Like 1