*** 2021 NHL Entry Draft ***

Brewin Flames

1607214710_NHLdraftwithowne.thumb.jpg.665ee7b148baae96d42e8ec56bad7ed4.jpg

Ya, i'm very early and things are subject to change, but i just wanted to get opinion on this years draft prospects and where they'd be a good fit...

2021 NHL Draft top 32 prospects include Power, Edvinsson, Clarke

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Pretty tough year to judge. Lots of shortened scheds, and the OHL (who usually provide the most players) isn't even playing. 

I'm going to guess it'll be a lot like drafts of yesteryear when there will be some terrible picks top ten and some great steals toward the bottom. That happens every year, but I think you'll see more of it this time.

Clarke played here in Barrie last season and I had him as a potential top pick. Lots of skill there and a great shot. Plays all over the ice. But I haven't seen him this season.

Edited by flyercanuck

• 3 weeks later...

Top 40 NHL Draft Rankings

Ryan Kennedy  7 hrs ago

image.png.d6db8fa8bd4c765d6b8e3772ca738566.png

The 2021 class has been a challenge for scouts, but our prospect expert has the inside scoop on the players rising up the charts.

It has been an extraordinary year in hockey and that certainly extends to the 2021 draft, where the pandemic has altered and in some cases halted schedules for many junior and college teams. For NHL scouts, it means a lot more video than usual and a lot more forecasting – but those who know their regions inside-out still have a firm base to work off.

Having said that, expect the unexpected this year as teams will likely have drastically different draft boards when the virtual festivities get underway on July 23. Travel has been different and sample sizes are smaller, so opinions will be quite varied.

With all of that as a backdrop, this year's World Under-18 Championship, which starts next week in Texas, will be even more crucial than ever when it comes to shaping final draft boards.

Some of Team Canada's OHL players haven't played at all since March of 2020, while some of Finland's kids from Helsinki haven't played since late November.

So it felt like the right time to drop some draft rankings. What you'll find below is where I see thing stand right now, based on conversations I've had with NHL team scouts this season.

Truly there will be some movement – possibly a lot of movement – between now and the actual draft, but consider this a snapshot as we come down the home stretch.

Now, why have I gone with a top 40 here? First of all, I want you to buy Draft Preview when it comes out – it's the next issue we close and should be on newsstands and in our online shop in late May. We go to 100 there and this year we'll have more info than ever, plus a special "sleepers" page and the usual features on the top guys.

But also because the difference between a first-rounder and an early second-rounder is purely cosmetic.

NHL teams don't think this way; they always group players as being in the 25-40 range. And if you think about it, the difference between No. 32 (now that Seattle is in the fray) and No. 33 is minuscule; it just means the kid who went 32nd gets to sleep better that first night of the draft.

With all that being said, here is my early top 40 for the 2021 draft.

1. Owen Power, D, Michigan (BigTen): The fact Power was able to step into a meaty role on good NCAA team at 18 is remarkable. He's a two-way defenseman that does it all and doesn't have any flaws, plus he can still add strength to his nearly 6-foot-6 frame.

2. Simon Edvinsson, D, Frolunda (SHL): Finishing the pro year in Vasteras so he could get more ice time, Edvinsson is a really good skater with great puck skills and a big frame. You don't find many 6-foot-5 defensemen that can do what he does.

3. Dylan Guenther, RW, Edmonton (WHL): Guenther terrorized the 'Dub' this year and the Oil Kings star will be one of the top offensive drivers for Canada at the world under-18s. He's a finisher with a great work rate and compete level.

4. William Eklund, LW, Djurgarden (SHL): Fantastic SHL season has earned him some exhibition games with the men's national team. Eklund has skill, hockey sense and a great work ethic and his SHL production (23 points in 40 games) was impressive.

5. Matty Beniers, C, Michigan (BigTen): A star for gold-medal Team USA at the world juniors, Beniers is an incredible two-way center who can take key defensive draws and also put up offense. He plays fast and he plays the right way.

6. Luke Hughes, D, U.S. NTDP (USHL): He'll miss the world under-18s due to a lower-body injury, but scouts know all about Hughes already. Jack and Quinn's younger bro has the family's skating gene and a lot of skill. His development is still on the upswing, too.

7. Kent Johnson, C, Michigan (BigTen): The third Wolverines freshman on the list, Johnson has incredible puck skills and offensive hockey sense. Still raw, the former BCHL star plays a very exciting game with intriguing upside.

8. Brandt Clarke, D, Barrie (OHL): With no OHL to play, Clarke went to Slovakia and held his own against men. An offensive defenseman with a big shot and great power play acumen, playing on the big ice in Europe helped his skating.

9. Mason McTavish, C, Peterborough (OHL): Another OHLer who went to Europe, McTavish was awesome in Switzerland, getting his nose dirty and competing hard. But he's also an offensive driver, a great finisher with a terrific release.

10. Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP (USHL): The most skilled forward on the NTDP, Lucius returned from a serious knee injury and somehow looked like a better skater than before. One of the best goal-scorers in the draft, his shot selection is impeccable.

11. Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea (SHL)

12. Fyodor Svechkov, C, Lada (Rus.)

13. Cole Sillinger, C, Sioux Falls (USHL)

14. Carson Lambos, D, Winnipeg (WHL)

15. Corson Ceulemans, D, Brooks (AJHL)

16. Zach L'Heureux, C, Halifax (QMJHL)

17. Oskar Olausson, LW, HV71 (SHL)

18. Scott Morrow, D, Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn. prep)

19. Nikita Chibrikov, RW, SKA-St. Petersburg (KHL)

20. Aatu Raty, C, Karpat (Fin.)

21. Zach Bolduc, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)

22. Sean Behrens, D, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

23. Xavier Bourgault, RW, Shawinigan (QMJHL)

24. Mackie Samoskevich, C, Chicago (USHL)

25. Brennan Othmann, LW, Flint (OHL)

26. Sebastian Cossa, G, Edmonton (WHL)

27. Fabian Lysell, RW, Lulea (SHL)

28. Zach Dean, C, Gatineau (QMJHL)

29. Samu Tuomaala, RW, Karpat (Fin.)

30. Daniil Chayka, D, CSKA (KHL)

31. Sasha Pastujov, LW, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

32. Simon Robertsson, RW, Skelleftea (SHL)

33. Francesco Pinelli, C, Kitchener (OHL)

34. William Stromgren, LW, Modo (Swe.)

35. Stanislav Svozil, D, Kometa Brno (Cze.)

36. Tyler Boucher, RW, U.S NTDP (USHL)

37. Logan Mailloux, D, London (OHL)

38. Matt Coronato, LW, Chicago (USHL)

39. Alexander Kisakov, LW, Dynamo Moscow (Rus.)

40. Samuel Helenius, C, JYP (Fin.)

• 4 weeks later...

2021 NHL Draft Lottery odds: Sabres on top, where Kraken rank, and more

2021 NHL Draft Lottery odds: Sabres on top, where Kraken rank, and more
Getty Images

•  

With the regular season finally finished, the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery odds have been established. The Sabres have the best chance of winning the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery (16.6-percent). The Seattle Kraken are considered “the third seed,” but share the same 2021 NHL Draft Lottery odds as the Devils: 10.3 percent.

The 2021 NHL Draft Lottery is scheduled for Wednesday, June 2, and will take place at NHL Network’s studio in New Jersey.

Official 2021 NHL Draft Lottery odds

The league outlined the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery odds for 16 teams, including the Arizona Coyotes, who will forfeit their 2021 first-rounder.

There will be two draws: the first for the top pick, and then the second for No. 2 overall. If the Coyotes win either one of those draws, then there will be a redraw.

Here are where all 16 teams shake out. Note that the Seattle Kraken cannot draft any lower than fifth overall.

2021 NHL Draft Lottery odds: Sabres firstvia the NHL

The 2021 NHL Draft will take place over two days. Round 1 of the 2021 NHL Draft airs virtually on Friday, July 23, while Rounds 2-7 take place on Saturday, July 24.

As far as who will be drafted first overall? At the moment, there isn’t an Alexis LafreniereJack Hughes-etc. type consensus No. 1 choice.

On May 7, Ryan Wagman of McKeen’s Hockey tabbed defenseman Owen Power as the top pick. Could it boil down to team needs, even in an era where people lean more and more toward “best player available?”

Will teams try to move out of the 2021 first round for 2022? Could there be significant movement, and maybe some trades that mix roster players with prospects and picks.

Back in 2018, the Sabres won the lottery to ultimately draft Rasmus Dahlin. Their bid to win the 2015 lottery fell just short from Connor McDavid to Jack Eichel. Could their relationship with Eichel unravel during the offseason, maybe during draft weekend?

It could be interesting, and some moves might hinge on how the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery pans out.

Read up on changes coming to the format — which won’t kick in this year.

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

The Sabres have the best chance of winning the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery (16.6-percent).

And the rule change the worst they can draft is 3rd.

Man it won't be long the will have a top 5 pick at every position they keep this up.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And the rule change the worst they can draft is 3rd.

Man it won't be long the will have a top 5 pick at every position they keep this up.

They're moving into pre-McDavid Oilers territory with their ineptitude. The Devils aren't far behind. Philly is in their rearview mirror, looking to pass.

Edited by flyercanuck

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Puck_Pun said:

Lottery has been done, here's the top picks

FB_IMG_1622678492753.jpg

If I'm Buffalo, I already have Dahlin and Risto.  I would still be tempted on Power, but I probably go Beniers and trade Eichel for pieces to build around Beniers and Cozens.

All i know as of this moment, is that the bruins/islander series is truly showing the bruins lack of depth defensively, and while we don't know their exact draft position yet, please load up on defense...

I will get further into this when i do a bruins draft thread.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No idea if the Sabres take this kid Powers.  It seems there are other options here?  As for the Islanders, they must have their eye on someone in this draft after the trade with Detroit

I really don't know what I do if I'm the Sabres.   Powers seems like he'll be really good, but the circumstances around this draft (pandemic) make it tough.  If they do draft him, I hope they don't put him in the NHL right away, though the pressure to do that will be high.  

I'd be very tempted to go with Beniers, especially with Eichel's future unclear (at this point, I'm not just talking about the prospect of trade. That's real, but I'm more concerned with his outlook medically).  Same caveat regarding bringing him straight to the NHL.  Given the Sabres' recent history of bringing people too fast, I hope they adjust their approach.

And no, the Sabres aren't alone in that mistake.  It's increasingly common in today's game.   But this year, in particular, I think it's even more difficult to have any idea what you really have in a prospect.  So use caution.

Odd year to get the first overall. It can turn out well and it's not a terrible problem to have, but still...

I think they SHOULD do well with either pick. Just develop, don't rush.

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really don't know what I do if I'm the Sabres.   Powers seems like he'll be really good, but the circumstances around this draft (pandemic) make it tough.  If they do draft him, I hope they don't put him in the NHL right away, though the pressure to do that will be high.  

I'd be very tempted to go with Beniers, especially with Eichel's future unclear (at this point, I'm not just talking about the prospect of trade. That's real, but I'm more concerned with his outlook medically).  Same caveat regarding bringing him straight to the NHL.  Given the Sabres' recent history of bringing people too fast, I hope they adjust their approach.

And no, the Sabres aren't alone in that mistake.  It's increasingly common in today's game.   But this year, in particular, I think it's even more difficult to have any idea what you really have in a prospect.  So use caution.

Odd year to get the first overall. It can turn out well and it's not a terrible problem to have, but still...

I think they SHOULD do well with either pick. Just develop, don't rush.

Well I have no idea if Adams or Granato is going to make this final decision?  He plans to play at Michigan next year so he is not going to go straight to NHL.  That is a problem perhaps with the Sabres picking him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I have no idea if Adams or Granato is going to make this final decision?  He plans to play at Michigan next year so he is not going to go straight to NHL.  That is a problem perhaps with the Sabres picking him?

Could be.  I say keep him down for a year or two, but I think the Sabres might be where they want some effect sooner than later.  This MAY be the wrong draft for that.

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Could be.  I say keep him down for a year or two, but I think the Sabres might be where they want some effect sooner than later.  This MAY be the wrong draft for that.

I won’t be heartbroken if they pass on the defenseman even though if sounds like he is great,  we have Risto and Dahlin.  Need help for Eichel and a goalie.  These young kids. Luukenen included show promise but maybe they try too ok get a veteran to replace that worthless Hutton?  They can only get better this year,  Krueger was another big mistake

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I won’t be heartbroken if they pass on the defenseman even though if sounds like he is great,  we have Risto and Dahlin.  Need help for Eichel and a goalie.  These young kids. Luukenen included show promise but maybe they try too ok get a veteran to replace that worthless Hutton?  They can only get better this year,  Krueger was another big mistake

Yeah on goalie.  Any news on resigning Ullmark?  Ullmark/Luukenen might be enough, but I'm a little worried about Ullmark's health.  Maybe sign a veteran to play with Luukenen and let Ullmark walk?  Not sure I'd do that, but I suppose it's an option.

I know you like Risto, but if they draft Powers maybe they move Risto.

I'm with you, though. I think Beniers might be the way to go, and for the reasons you state.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:02 PM, ruxpin said:

Yeah on goalie.  Any news on resigning Ullmark?  Ullmark/Luukenen might be enough, but I'm a little worried about Ullmark's health.  Maybe sign a veteran to play with Luukenen and let Ullmark walk?  Not sure I'd do that, but I suppose it's an option.

I know you like Risto, but if they draft Powers maybe they move Risto.

I'm with you, though. I think Beniers might be the way to go, and for the reasons you state.

Ristolainen and Ullmark are on the protected list. So neither will be sea monsters any time soon.  And it’s pretty apparent Eichel stays!!

Giving this thread a BUMP... as this can be our NHL Draft thread for 2021.

Thank you @Brewin Flames for getting this started WAY early when you did, it has now been converted to the official thread!  ;) 

Any new comments by posters in the old 2020 thread have been moved here....nothing has been deleted.

Owen Power the consensus number one?
Looks like it....

• Like 1

Bobs final draft ranking. 10/10 scouts picked Powers as the #1...there you go Rick!

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-pulls-away-from-crowded-nhl-draft-field-1.1669730

MCKENZIE'S FINAL DRAFT RANKING

RK PLAYER TEAM POS HT WT GP G P
1 Owen Power Michigan (NCAA) D 6'6 213 26 3 16
2 Matty Beniers Michigan (NCAA) C 6'2 175 24 10 24
3 Simon Edvinsson Frolunda (SHL) D 6'4 198 10 0 1
T4 William Eklund Djurgardens (SHL) LW 5'10 176 40 11 23
T4 Mason McTavish Olten (SUI) C 6'1 207 13 9 11
6 Dylan Guenther Edmonton (WHL) RW 6'2 175 12 12 24
7 Brandt Clarke Nove Zamky (SVK) D 6'2 185 26 5 15
8 Luke Hughes USA U18 (USHL) D 6'2 184 38 6 34
9 Kent Johnson Michigan (NCAA) C 6'1 167 26 9 27
10 Chaz Lucius USA U18 (USHL) C 6'1 185 12 13 18
11 Cole Sillinger Sioux Falls (USHL) C 6'0 197 31 24 46
12 Jesper Wallstedt  Lulea (SHL) G 6'3 214 22 2.23 .908
13 Matthew Coronato Chicago (USHL) LW 5'10 183 48 45 80
14 Fabian Lysell Lulea (SHL) RW 5'10 172 26 2 3
15 Sebastian Cossa Edmonton (WHL) G 6'6 210 11 1.45 .942
16 Brennan Othmann Olten (SUI) LW 6'0 175 34 7 16
17 Fedor Svechkov Togliatti (VHL) C 6'0 187 38 5 15
18 Isak Rosen Leksands (SHL) RW 5'11 156 22 0 1
19 Zachary Bolduc Rimouski (QMJHL) C 6'1 175 27 10 29
20 Xavier Bourgault Shawinigan (QMJHL) C 6'0 172 29 20 40
21 Carson Lambos JYP (SM Liiga Jr. ) D 6'1 197 13 2 11
22 Corson Ceulemans Brooks (AJHL) D 6'2 198 8 4 11
23 Francesco Pinelli Jesenice (SLO) C 6'0 185 13 5 11
24 Nikita Chibrikov St. Petersburg (KHL) RW 5'10 170 16 1 2
25 Zachary L’Heureux Halifax (QMJHL) C 5'11 196 33 19 39
26 Daniil Chayka Moskva (KHL) D 6'3 187 11 1 2
27 Logan Stankoven Kamloops (WHL) C 5'8 170 6 7 10
28 Aatu Raty Karpat (SM Liiga) C 6'2 185 35 3 6
29 Tyler Boucher USA U18 (USHL) RW 6'1 205 12 6 11
30 Samu Tuomaala Karpat (SM Liiga Jr.)  RW 5'10 174 30 15 31
31 Zach Dean Gatineau (QMJHL) C 6'0 176 23 10 20
32 Simon Robertsson Skelleftea (SHL) RW 6'0 190 22 1 2

33 Mackie Samoskevich Chicago (USHL) C 5'11 191 34 13 36
34 Oskar Olausson HV71 (SWE J20) RW 6'1 180 16 14 27
35 Logan Mailloux Lejon (SWE) D 6'3 212 19 7 15
36 Sasha Pastujov USA U18 (USHL) LW 6'0 184 34 23 52
37 Scott Morrow S-St. Mary's (USHS) D 6'2 195 24 6 33
38 Prokhor Poltapov Moskva (MHL) RW 6'0 176 61 25 52
39 Jack Peart Fargo (USHL) D 5'11 186 20 0 11
40 Wyatt Johnston Canada U18 C 6'1 178 7 2 4
41 William Stromgren MODO (SWE) LW 6'3 175 27 3 9
42 Chase Stillman Esbjerg (DEN) RW 6'1 180 8 9 16
43 Tristan Broz Fargo (USHL) C 6'0 178 50 17 48
44 Samuel Helenius JYP (SM Liiga) C 6'6 201 54 7 14
45 Olen Zellwegger Everett (WHL) D 5'9 175 11 2 13
46 Samu Salminen Jokerit (SM Liiga Jr.) C 6'2 186 17 10 26
47 Evan Nause Quebec (QMJHL) D 6'2 186 32 4 22
48 Ayrton Martino Omaha (USHL) LW 5'11 160 35 18 53
49 Shai Buium Sioux City (USHL) D 6'3 209 46 4 23
50 Sean Behrens USA U18 (USHL) D 5'10 177 39 6 31
51 Anton Olsson Malmo (SHL) D 6'0 198 39 0 4
52 Oliver Kapanen KalPa (SM Liiga Jr.) C 6'0 166 37 25 41
53 Stanislav Svozil Brno (CZE) D 6'1 182 30 1 3
54 Alexander Kisakov Moskva (MHL) LW 5'10 150 61 36 73
55 Conner Roulette Seattle (WHL) LW 5'11 180 11 6 12
56 Aleksei Heimosalmi Assat  (SM Liiga Jr.) D 5'11 170 35 4 21
57 Brett Harrison KOOVEE (SM Liiga Jr.) C 6'2 188 7 4 9
58 Vincent Iorio Brandon (WHL) D 6'2 191 18 4 10
59 Nolan Allan Prince Albert (WHL) D 6'2 195 16 1 2
60 Artem Grushnikov Hamilton (OHL) D 6'2 198 - - -
61 Colton Dach Saskatoon (WHL) C 6'4 196 17 8 14
62 Matthew Knies Tri-City (USHL) LW 6'2 210 39 13 36
63 Ryan Winterton Canada U18 RW 6'2 175 7 2 4
64 Danila Klimovich Minsk (BEL-2) RW 6'2 202 37 28 52

65 Roman Schmidt USA U18 (USHL) D 6'5 210 38 3 13
66 Josh Doan Chicago (USHL) RW 6'1 183 50 27 65
67 Cameron Whynot Halifax (QMJHL) D 6'1 180 34 6 23
68 Brent Johnson Sioux Falls (USHL) D 5'11 161 47 11 32
69 Benjamin Gaudreau Canada U18 G 6'2 175 5 2.2 .919
70 Riley Kidney A-Bathurst (QMJHL) C 5'11 168 31 13 36
71 Cole Huckins A-Bathurst (QMJHL) C 6'3 200 31 13 30
72 Ilya Fedotov Novgorod (MHL) LW 6'1 176 54 18 38
73 Kirill Kirsanov St. Petersburg (KHL) D 6'1 198 29 0 3
74 Olivier Nadeau Shawinigan (QMJHL) RW 6'2 204 34 13 45
75 Ryder Korczak Moose Jaw (WHL) C 5'11 174 10 2 13
76 Aidan Hreschuk USA U18 (USHL) D 5'11 188 43 5 33
77 Ethan Del Mastro Canada U18 D 6'4 210 7 0 2
78 Dylan Duke USA U18 (USHL) C 5'10 175 43 25 44
79 Ville Koivunen Karpat (SM Liiga Jr.) LW 5'11 161 38 23 49
80 Justin Robidas Val-d'Or (QMJHL) C 5'8 173 35 19 36
81 Guillaume Richard Tri-City (USHL) D 6'2 170 46 2 16
82 Redmond Savage USA U18 (USHL) C 5'11 180 46 18 42
83 Tristan Lennox Saginaw (OHL) G 6'4 190 - - -
84 Topias Vilen Lahti (SM Liiga) D 6'1 194 35 3 8
85 Aleksi Malinen JYP (SM Liiga) D 6'0 176 30 2 3
86 Jack Bar Chicago (USHL) D 6'2 193 31 5 15
87 Jayden Grubbe Red Deer (WHL) C 6'2 200 5 1 3
88 Dmitri Kostenko Togliatti (VHL) D 6'1 187 40 1 10
89 Ben Roger London (OHL) D 6'4 200 - - -
90 Ryan Ufko Chicago (USHL) D 5'10 181 50 10 38
91 Dmitry Kuzmin Molodechno (BEL) D 5'9 178 46 3 12
92 Matvei Petrov Moskva (MHL) LW 6'2 178 58 22 42
93 William Trudeau Charlottetown (QMJHL) D 6'0 189 38 7 30
94 Oscar Plandowski Charlottetown (QMJHL) D 6'0 190 38 5 16
95 Zack Ostapchuk Vancouver (WHL) C 6'3 205 22 7 16
96 Jack Matier Canada U18 D 6'4 200 7 0 1

HM Haakon Hanelt Berlin (DEL) C 6'0 194 22 1 1
HM Ryan Mast Sarnia (OHL) D 6'4 212 - - -
HM Sean Tschigerl Calgary (WHL) LW 6'0 189 21 13 21
HM Joe Vrbetic North Bay G 6'6 190 - - -

Logan Mailloux

Interesting prospect...but with the story that came out on him last week, i wonder how far he drops and who's gonna be the team that takes a chance on him.

Edited by Brewin Flames

17 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Giving this thread a BUMP... as this can be our NHL Draft thread for 2021.

Thank you @Brewin Flames for getting this started WAY early when you did, it has now been converted to the official thread!  ;) 

Any new comments by posters in the old 2020 thread have been moved here....nothing has been deleted.

Owen Power the consensus number one?
Looks like it....

Looks like it yes.  But is it the smart pick for the Sabres?   Maybe not.  Let the Kracken have him.  Lets take either Berniers or Eckland.   Not sure if either is NHL ready?  If yes, take one. If no, then take Power and wait.  He is going to play at Michigan regardless of who takes him from what I am hearing

7 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Logan Mailloux

Interesting prospect...but with the story that came out on him last week, i wonder how far he drops and who's gonna be the team that takes a chance on him.

Looks like no one will be drafting him after all....he has exited the draft.

Edited by Brewin Flames

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

What happened not familiar with the story?

Him and unknown female engaged in consensual oral sex...he took a photo of her giving him a hummer...and like a moron, sent it to all his buddies. When word got back to her, she was less than thrilled. He was placed on the DND (do not draft list) by multiple teams, and he has since exited his draft status with an apology.

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

Mailloux renounces himself from 2021 NHL Draft

Prospect Logan Mailloux has renounced himself from this weekend's NHL Draft, asking teams not to select him following a criminal conviction while playing in Sweden late last year.

Prospect Logan Mailloux has renounced himself from this weekend's NHL Draft, asking teams not to select him following a criminal charge while playing in Sweden late last year. 

In November, while he was playing for SK Lejon in Sweden with the OHL season paused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Mailloux was investigated after distributing a photo of a woman and himself engaged in a sexual act. The photo was taken without the women's consent.

According to a report in The Athletic last week, at least nine teams had already dropped Mailloux from their draft lists following the conviction.  

The Athletic reported that the defenceman was fined for photographic activity constituting the invasion of privacy as well as defamation. "A summary punishment by fine has the same legal effect as a guilty verdict, i.e. conviction from a court,” a legal adviser for the Swedish Police told the Athletic. 

Mailloux, an 18-year-old defenceman from Belle River, Ont., released a statement on Tuesday morning:

"Being drafted into the NHL is an honour and a privilege that no one takes lightly. The NHL Draft should be one of the most exciting landmark moments in a player's career, and given the circumstances I don't feel I have demonstrated strong enough maturity or character to earn that privilege in the 2021 Draft. If I were to ever have the honour of being selected I would want a fanbase to be proud to welcome me to their organization. I know it will take time for society to build back the trust I have lost, and that is why I think it is best that I renounce myself from the 2021 NHL Draft and ask that no one select me this upcoming weekend. I feel that this would allow me the opportunity to demonstrate an adequate level of maturity and character next season with the London Knights in the OHL and provide all the NHL teams the opportunity to reassess my character towards the 2022 NHL Draft."

Mailloux played four games for the London Knights during the 2019-20 season.