Minnesota Wild vs Colorado Avalanche, Monday 4-5-21, 7:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

I didnt have time to watch this game in full, only parts here and there. I did have fun with "the Hartman deke". He should be using that more. Whiff on the puck,drop the goalie and the d-man, and then pass for Bjugstad for an open net goal.

Talbot seemed to be struggling with his concentration. And Kaprizov in the middle of the PP formation again. Well the PP scored twice, so I guess I should not complain about that.

First period looked good. If we could somehow keep them off of their fastest gear, we could compete with them. But how to slow them down?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Agree, we never had a good PP. To try something different is to look hard for a better talent/better sniper.

The difference from previous years is we have the talent. We're just using the old system that was designed for the likes of a Staal, Suter, Parise etc.

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

GOODBYE 😢 11 games to the Home win streak. Sadly, they did not put Kahkonen  after Talbot's 3rd goal. May be that was an option for us to boost team's mentality during the 2nd period. I even do not remember if we replaced a goalie during the season more than once. I do remember Talbot was replaced one time this season when he was injured.

Maybe Evason doesn't believe in that. I can't blame Talbot for any of the goal. Sure, The second one he dropped and left a rebound but leaving an Av's player alone there to clean up is on the D. Fleury the other night was sending rebounds left and right and it was no big deal.
Talbot after the 2 seemed to get back on track as was the team somewhat and until those late 2, I can see why Evason stayed with Talbot. 
Given the 2nd, I really thought we would see Kahkonen for the 3rd to maybe spur the team, give Talbot rest and do a little Rust-Removal for Kahk.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I didn't have time to watch this game in full, only parts here and there. I did have fun with "the Hartman deke". He should be using that more. Whiff on the puck,drop the goalie and the d-man, and then pass for Bjugstad for an open net goal.

Talbot seemed to be struggling with his concentration. And Kaprizov in the middle of the PP formation again. Well the PP scored twice, so I guess I should not complain about that.

First period looked good. If we could somehow keep them off of their fastest gear, we could compete with them. But how to slow them down?

By physical aggressive way entire 60 minutes. I do not see any other option to slow down their multiple speedy talents.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

By physical aggressive way entire 60 minutes. I do not see any other option to slow down their multiple speedy talents.

I think so too. That would be the only way with our current roster, and for that to work we would need to be able to influence where the refs draw the line. The games would need to be really physical and after a while it gets rough as the players start to get mad about someone being in their face all the time.

Come to think of it, the refs are being taught about "game management". If they have a plan on where to draw the line, the Wild could also have a plan on where the Wild would want that line to be drawn against a particular opponent (loose against better opponents, strict against worse opponents), and how to influence that line. The refereeing is a game inside the game.

10 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

The difference from previous years is we have the talent. We're just using the old system that was designed for the likes of a Staal, Suter, Parise etc.

Do you really think the talent is any better this year?

Zuccerelo, fiala, kaprisof, spurgeon, dumba. 
Really missing a center. 
I don’t really know who else is any better. 

12 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Do you really think the talent is any better this year?

Zuccerelo, fiala, kaprisof, spurgeon, dumba. 
Really missing a center. 
I don’t really know who else is any better. 

For the PP ...Yes, We just don't use them.
Aside from the obvious Kaprizov, Zuc is Healthy and playing noticably better than last.
Fiala can always be dangerous and many others could be on the PP. 
When Suter and now even Spurgeon man the line on the PP, It's stagnant and easy to defend.
All plays must go through Suter.
When Brodin etc man the line, The team moves and way more chaos can occur.
Old system isn't matching with our players talents imo. :) 

Edited by ClusterChuck
  • Like 2

Totaly agree on Suter, I hope he realizes that Soucy is knocking at his door.

If Soucy could learn how not to take a penalty Suter would roll to a 3rd defensive pairing.

But I still think the wild need a much better center than what they have available.

6 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Totaly agree on Suter, I hope he realizes that Soucy is knocking at his door.

If Soucy could learn how not to take a penalty Suter would roll to a 3rd defensive pairing.

But I still think the wild need a much better center than what they have available.

Yeah. Where would be be, if we happened to get a center like Barkov, or Aho, for example? If not top of the world, much closer, IMO. Perhaps we already have one in the organisation, in Rossi.

I hope so, even if he isn't a world beater offensivley, he needs to be dependable in the faceoff circle.

I re watched the wild game from the 7th and noticed a little more body movement in their PP.

Maybe that is their missing link.