Top trade bait, who winds up where?

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and wouldn't that trigger a cap recapture problem for the acquiring team?

I think Isles have space. Where there's a will there's a way. But yeah, a lot of pieces and salaries and "picks to be determined," would have to be shuffled. "Future considerations..." I am a Wild fan and admire Parise's game....hope he stays, but....

6 hours ago, Icechipper said:

I think Isles have space. Where there's a will there's a way. But yeah, a lot of pieces and salaries and "picks to be determined," would have to be shuffled. "Future considerations..." I am a Wild fan and admire Parise's game....hope he stays, but....

I don't think you fully understand the ramifications of a trade of Parise to the Isles...

When a player who could potentially be subject to the cap recapture penalty is traded, his cap advantage is locked in for his original team at the time the trade is agreed to. That value is carried forward until the player decides to retire with his new team (or wherever he ends up — he could be traded 10 more times and the number stays the same). At which point, the full value is spread over the remaining years of the original contract.

So, let’s say Parise agrees to a deal this season, which sends him home to the Isles to finish out his career. The Wild’s cap recapture penalty locks in at $19.6 million dollars. Should Parise then retire after this season, that $19.6 million would be spread out over five years, meaning the Wild suffer a hit of just under $4 million as we saw before.

However, let’s say that Parise finds a second wind and plays with the Isles  through the 2022-23 season. With two years left on his contract, that full value of $19.6 million would be spread over two years for about $9.8 million dollars in cap penalties. If he plays until 2023-24 and retires with one year left on his deal, the full $19.6 million would be due over one year. And remember, if Suter goes the exact same route, you’re looking at potentially double that amount.

So yeah...I don't think so.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think you fully understand the ramifications of a trade of Parise to the Isles...

When a player who could potentially be subject to the cap recapture penalty is traded, his cap advantage is locked in for his original team at the time the trade is agreed to. That value is carried forward until the player decides to retire with his new team (or wherever he ends up — he could be traded 10 more times and the number stays the same). At which point, the full value is spread over the remaining years of the original contract.

So, let’s say Parise agrees to a deal this season, which sends him home to the Isles to finish out his career. The Wild’s cap recapture penalty locks in at $19.6 million dollars. Should Parise then retire after this season, that $19.6 million would be spread out over five years, meaning the Wild suffer a hit of just under $4 million as we saw before.

However, let’s say that Parise finds a second wind and plays with the Isles  through the 2022-23 season. With two years left on his contract, that full value of $19.6 million would be spread over two years for about $9.8 million dollars in cap penalties. If he plays until 2023-24 and retires with one year left on his deal, the full $19.6 million would be due over one year. And remember, if Suter goes the exact same route, you’re looking at potentially double that amount.

So yeah...I don't think so.

Here: 

That's quite something, right!