Open Question: How Many People are Cheering for the Leafs to end their Cup Drought?

21 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It also seems to be an unwritten rule in hockey that to win a Stanley Cup you need to get past the game's greatest player at some point in your journey.

Just ask the Caps of the early 90’s like Rod Langway, Peter Bondra, Dino Ciccarelli, Al Iafrate, Dale Hunter, Mike Ridley, Kevin Hatcher, Calle Johansson, et al...especially their 91-92 squad...

...and they’ll have to admit that the likes of Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis, Tom Barrasso, and the rest of their Pittsburgh Penguin mates were indeed CAP KILLERS responsible for greatly increased psychologist business in the DC region for several years.

——————

As for Toronto, I’d root for the Bay Leaves, I think, were that their logo.  Yeah pretty sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't see myself ACTIVELY cheering for the Leafs, but then again, its not like I would cheer against them either.

Honestly, I think the problem for me and anything Toronto is the pure saturation of "Maple Leafs news" when there are bigger stories elsewhere around the league.
Same problem with baseball and the Yankees for instance.

All topics and convos eventually lead back to the Leafs or Yankees.
And you know, I can understand why...big market, big spotlight, yadda, yadda....but it doesn't change the fact that it is a bit irritating.

That said, it looks like I am going to have a pair of dogs at least, in the playoffs (Lightning and Wild) and a third if Vancouver somehow, someway, manages to sneak in there...and if they DO, they likely get Toronto in the first round.

So, as you can see, the chances of me cheering Leafs isn't too good.
Besides, I honestly think the Lightning have a chance to go back-to-back this season......team is still good, still hungry, and I think their core is as good as Chicago's or Los Angeles' when they won multiple Cups, though I realize even they never went back to back on any of them.

Also, I have had a growing admiration for how the Islanders have gone about their business on a year to year basis, when people kept saying they were just a flash and return to being bottom feeders.
Call them "boring" too, but they are starting to remind me of the 90's/early 2000's Devils teams and we all know they did well.....no surprise though when you look at who is running the NYI from the front office to behind the bench.

Finally, the Edmonton Oilers.
I've been saying for a many seasons now that whenever the Cup is won next by a Canadian based franchise, it would be THEM that would do it.
Been saying that since way back when the NHL had six divisions and the Alain Vignault led Canucks were the top team in Canada.

Why have I been saying that? Because the Oilers have had, and STILL have mega talent on their roster...........being mainly hampered by piss poor management (and the players they've brought in or let walk) and coaching.

That seems to have changed.
So, I have to stick by my guns on that before I cheer Toronto!  :biggrin: 

• Like 1

come playoff time here is how my rooting shakes out

Wings, of course

CBJ of course

Original six for absolutely no reason that I can quantify. I am not quite old enough to remember the era, I am old enough to remember the Sabres/Isles joining the league, then the Scouts/Capitals, but the term original six has a warm, fuzzy place with me, so yeah my two favorites followed by the original six in no order.  One exception, I hate the Bruins, always have, always will, my Mom was a Bruin fan as a kid I heard her talk Orr, Orr Orr all the damn time and it really kind of took on a life of its own, my utter contempt for everything Boston, it snowballed with the Patriots, Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox seeming to always win a championship between them every year. So I guess the rest of the six, Rangers, Leafs, Habs, Hawks but screw the Bruins and anyone with a New England accent 

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

THIS

We have had conversations before about THN interviewing Tyler freaking Ennis after a neat goal on nights when MacKinnon had six points and barely draws a mention. THN really must stand for Toronto Hockey News lol

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1
9 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I can't see myself ACTIVELY cheering for the Leafs, but then again, its not like I would cheer against them either.

So if it's Colorado vs Toronto in the Final, you wouldn't root for Toronto to end their drought?   😐 

Honestly, I think the problem for me and anything Toronto is the pure saturation of "Maple Leafs news" when there are bigger stories elsewhere around the league.
Same problem with baseball and the Yankees for instance.

Fixed it for ya lol.  ;) 

Interesting tidbit: This forum doesn't have any Leafs related feeds in its Twitter news feed. All the Leafs related news here comes from me.   :)  In other words, you're extremely sheltered from Leafs news in this forum, and I'd say every other story gets told here (if I'm being honest). The news feed covers the Coyotes as much as the Leafs.

Plus, even if you're in Leaf-land like I am, our programs talk about all the teams. In fact, most of the NHL coverage of all 30+ teams comes from Toronto. So while we obviously talk about our own team as well (who wouldn't right?), if it weren't for networks like SportsNet and TSN, there would be no coverage at all of the players and transactions occurring in places like Vegas, Arizona, Anaheim, Carolina, etc. because those teams don't get any press in their local market.

That said, it looks like I am going to have a pair of dogs at least, in the playoffs (Lightning and Wild) and a third if Vancouver somehow, someway, manages to sneak in there...and if they DO, they likely get Toronto in the first round.

Vancouver isn't going anywhere this season. The Lightning and Wild are a different story however.  :) 

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

THIS

We have had conversations before about THN interviewing Tyler freaking Ennis after a neat goal on nights when MacKinnon had six points and barely draws a mention. THN really must stand for Toronto Hockey News lol

But the good news is that it got mentioned. I bet people living in Colorado said nothing about it at all.  

In other words, if it doesn't get reported on SportsNet or TSN, you can be sure that ESPN (or the Outdoor Life network or wherever the h_ll the NHL is broadcast in the US these days lol) certainly wouldn't mention it. 

The honest to goodness truth is that you could open up a newspaper in Colorado and read NOTHING about the Avalanche. You could open up the Toronto Star newspaper and find out every last detail about the Avalanche...... in a TORONTO newspaper.  And it has always been that way. 

I think you take the good with the bad. Yes, many of these publications cover the Leafs heavily, but it's well deserved. Largest hockey market = largest audience = largest coverage. However, those same publications (most of which are based in Toronto) are the only ones shining a spotlight on many of these US teams in non-traditional hockey markets. So if we're not covering your team, chances are nobody else is either.  :) 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

May the drought be as long as the one that caused the Great Dustbowl in the Midwest.

I don't know how long that dust bowl took to form but 3/4 of the NHL has formed since Toronto's last Stanley Cup win.

Surely that's close enough.  :) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I don't know how long that dust bowl took to form but 3/4 of the NHL has formed since Toronto's last Stanley Cup win.

Surely that's close enough.  :) 

I’m just kidding, I wouldn’t mind seeing Toronto or Vegas win it...I think the Isles have a great shot, Barry Trotz is a great coach and Elmer Fudd Lamorillo is a great GM who knows how to build a team. Wish I could say the same for the Flyers.

• Like 1

Other than the fact that NHL Network will most certainly then become Toronto Maple Leaf Network if they do win it all... I'll be cheering for any Canadian team to win it all, including the Leafs.