Game 39: Flyers at Islanders; 4/8/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Maybe this is my problem with Laughton, he is a solid depth player. On a team with bonafide offensive studs, he has value. On this team, he is one of a handful of players with the same skill set. A team full of Laughtons won't be very successful

Personally, I hope he gets traded. If he has value and brings a good return, it will be the best thing he ever did as a Flyer

Getting some assets for him is not a bad idea and you will still have the option to re-sign him as long as he does not demand a crazy contract. The only thing I disagree on is , we don’t really have other guys that bring what Laughton does, he is defensively responsible, he is consistent he is also a leader on this team. Raffl is not getting re-signed , so we will need some players for the third and fourth lines. Lazynski seems like the real deal and will be a very good two way player, but so far guys like Bunnaman and Tarynksi have not show that they are ready to take over Laughtons job. We don’t have too many defensively responsible guys on this team as it is, so losing Laughton will hurt more than you would realize. It all comes down to how many bad contracts we can unload, how much cap $$ we will have to improve the team and  also to re-sign Laughton at a reasonable rate. 

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

On a team with bonafide offensive studs, he has value. On this team, he is one of a handful of players with the same skill set. A team full of Laughtons won't be very successful

Of course we need to change the mix on the top three lines with some size and finishers ,but in all honesty ,who do you see as our fourth line for next year if we get rid of Laughton and  NAK?  I think Lazynski, Laughton and NAK is a pretty good fourth line and all three have the potential to move up to the third line if needed.

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

this post depressed me

LOL, you can’t allow your personal hatred of guys like NAK and Laughton to cloud the facts. At this point , we really don’t have any other options to replace these guys. Lazynksi will replace Raffl. We need to concentrate on getting rid of the real problems like Jake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

It would hurt so much they might be in danger of missing the playoffs!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

LOL,  but Laughton is doing his job, he has earned his pay check.  It’s Meyers, Sanheim, Jake, Hayes, TK, etc who are stealing from the Flyers. If you were to list who is responsible for this failure of a season, Laughton would be at the bottom and all the guys who make huge$$ would be at the top.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

LOL,  but Laughton is doing his job, he has earned his pay check.  It’s Meyers, Sanheim, Jake, Hayes, TK, etc who are stealing from the Flyers. If you were to list who is responsible for this failure of a season, Laughton would be at the bottom and all the guys who make huge$$ would be at the top.

I've come around on Laughton a lot over the past two years.

He is certainly not "the problem."

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

I've come around on Laughton a lot over the past two years.

He is certainly not "the problem."

I've just selected him in the waiver draft of my keeper because I was lazy and wanted a Flyer and I've always felt he had sneaky offensive talent (there wasn't much else available at that spot anyway).  So, he's sure to go to absolute sh!t now. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Laughton and Gostisbehere are two that come to mind, who aren't too expensive.

I would add Raffl, Hagg and dear gawd hopefully Gustafsson to that list (and I mean for anything to move this bum a 7th round pick even).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would add Raffl, Hagg and dear gawd hopefully Gustafsson to that list (and I mean for anything to move this bum a 7th round pick even).

Ya know, Hagg is an interesting case. He has proven he belongs in the NHL, and would probably get you a respectable return.

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Ya know, Hagg is an interesting case. He has proven he belongs in the NHL, and would probably get you a respectable return.

Hagg was amazing last night. He made one bad play, which was a giveaway in his own end, but that was a communication problem with his (new) partner more than anything. He made several fantastic plays on both sides of the puck. Played with great poise and confidence. It was actually a thing to behold. I've always liked him. When he plays like that, he's a top 4 NHL Dman. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Getting some assets for him is not a bad idea and you will still have the option to re-sign him as long as he does not demand a crazy contract. The only thing I disagree on is , we don’t really have other guys that bring what Laughton does, he is defensively responsible, he is consistent he is also a leader on this team. Raffl is not getting re-signed , so we will need some players for the third and fourth lines. Lazynski seems like the real deal and will be a very good two way player, but so far guys like Bunnaman and Tarynksi have not show that they are ready to take over Laughtons job. We don’t have too many defensively responsible guys on this team as it is, so losing Laughton will hurt more than you would realize. It all comes down to how many bad contracts we can unload, how much cap $$ we will have to improve the team and  also to re-sign Laughton at a reasonable rate. 

Why re-sign? Thats the same type of stuff the Flyers always do , and it never works. If he isn't good enough to keep as part of your future, he won't be better later. But, he will cost more. He isn't going to go to a playoff contenderand end up being cheaper.

You like what he "brings". I don't see him bringing much. Maybe a few goals here and there, and thats about it. And being called a leader on a team that has horrible leadership, is not a badge of honor. As for the third and fourth line guys, isn't it time some of those highly touted assets get a chance?

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Yeah you're not getting much for him maybe a 3rd or 4th...none of these guys are going to bring you much. However you can acquire and many assets as you can so you have the assets to acquire maybe something you want.

They have a stable of young talent on the Flyers, Phantoms and juniors and around the world.

They have all their draft picks over the next two years except their 5th round pick this coming draft.

So Chuckles has an arsenal to work with....he just need to find the guys he can plug unless of course we want to just sit and wait and hopefully by the time all these kids are ready in a few years they may be better or culd be just the same.

It really depends on if you want to be aggressive like Homer did with Kimmo and Hartnell and well even Briere find the guys you think can help and go get them.

And it will require moving assets to get these guys but i am tired of sitting and waiting on these seedlings to blossom...but you have to put on the big boy pants and do it...

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Hagg was amazing last night. He made one bad play, which was a giveaway in his own end, but that was a communication problem with his (new) partner more than anything. He made several fantastic plays on both sides of the puck. Played with great poise and confidence. It was actually a thing to behold. I've always liked him. When he plays like that, he's a top 4 NHL Dman. 

Hagg was quite good last night, no doubt. He made some really nice plays with his stick to break up good passes, and a few of them would have much more likely than not ended up in the back of the net.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Of course we need to change the mix on the top three lines with some size and finishers ,but in all honesty ,who do you see as our fourth line for next year if we get rid of Laughton and  NAK?  I think Lazynski, Laughton and NAK is a pretty good fourth line and all three have the potential to move up to the third line if needed.

I have no way of knowing becasue I don't know who will be on the roster

Oh wait, its the Flyers, yes we do. The fourth line will be Raffl, Patrick and NAK

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I would not trade Hagg. I would develop him. He has a natural grit that this team sorely lacks. 

I like him a lot also, but if we call Nashville for Ellis, and they say they want Hagg in a deal for him...sorry, but he's leaving for Music City.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

LOL, you can’t allow your personal hatred of guys like NAK and Laughton to cloud the facts.

Insert OC and Jake here

My personal hatred is based on what he brings.... very little

Just now, FD19372 said:

I like him a lot also, but if we call Nashville for Ellis, and they say they want Hagg in a deal for him...sorry, but he's leaving for Music City.

Fair I guess. I don't think Ellis is what this team needs but that's just me maybe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I would develop him.

I'm afraid at 26 well he is pretty much what you're going to get.

I don't hate Hagg but he has some certain limitations and wouldn't be broken up if he is moved for something better (yeah i know hold my breathe).

He is very hard to watch sometimes around his crease for sure but i do like his physical game.

15 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

A two legged billy goat would prove he belongs on the NHL, if he was on this roster

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

A two legged billy goat would prove he belongs on the NHL, if he was on this roster

Is he a left or right hoofed shot?

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a pretty depressing thread on the trade side because it reflects a painful reality--I don't think our draft picks have been nearly as good as we hoped.  Meanwhile, we continue to have the worst SO history in the league, something like 50 and 90.  That can't be a goaltending problem.  I suspect it's a confirmation of what many have said here--the franchise likes its two-way, high hockey IQ players.  Fine.  But you win by putting more goals in the net than your opponent.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Why re-sign? Thats the same type of stuff the Flyers always do , and it never works. If he isn't good enough to keep as part of your future, he won't be better later. But, he will cost more. He isn't going to go to a playoff contenderand end up being cheaper.

You like what he "brings". I don't see him bringing much. Maybe a few goals here and there, and thats about it. And being called a leader on a team that has horrible leadership, is not a badge of honor. As for the third and fourth line guys, isn't it time some of those highly touted assets get a chance?

Your missing the point, our top prospects, guys like Foerester, Wisdom , Brink and Allison are not fourth line players, these guys are scorers who will play on the second or third line to start and events the first line. So a guy like Laughton will not be blocking their chance to make the team. So , like I said, we do not have anyone to fit Laughtons role on the fourth line.  What do you expect from a fourth liner ?, 30 goals?, we can’t get that from our first line guys. Laughton was on pace for 40 points based on a whole season. He kills penalties, hits, is good on faceoffs, forechecks and  plays hard . You are expecting too much from a role player.