Game 39: Flyers at Islanders; 4/8/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I have no way of knowing becasue I don't know who will be on the roster

Oh wait, its the Flyers, yes we do. The fourth line will be Raffl, Patrick and NAK

Raffl is not coming back, Laszynski is gonna replace him. Patrick is not physical, is not great defensively, he is not suited for the fourth line. If Patrick cannot thrive on the second or third line, then it’s time to get rid of him. At this point Laughton is far more valuable than Patrick.

• Good Post 2

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This is a pretty depressing thread on the trade side because it reflects a painful reality--I don't think our draft picks have been nearly as good as we hoped.  Meanwhile, we continue to have the worst SO history in the league, something like 50 and 90.  That can't be a goaltending problem.  I suspect it's a confirmation of what many have said here--the franchise likes its two-way, high hockey IQ players.  Fine.  But you win by putting more goals in the net than your opponent.  

Some of it is, they've been rushed along and aren't ready. Some of it is, this team was built too softly. The rest of it, is that I'm not entirely convinced that they're being properly coached, and we are too reliant on very young players that..while talented..might be in over their heads at this point.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Patrick is not physical

I don't think he deserves to be in the shootout especially after being invisible during a game and OT.

I don't understand why AV won't give his guys a chance who scored during the game NAK has a wicked wrist shot and yet can't get a sniff over a guy like TK has he ever even scored in the shootout i sure can't remember when.

This team has to many guys who can't hit wide open just like TK that is a problem...

22 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Hagg was amazing last night. He made one bad play, which was a giveaway in his own end, but that was a communication problem with his (new) partner more than anything. He made several fantastic plays on both sides of the puck. Played with great poise and confidence. It was actually a thing to behold. I've always liked him. When he plays like that, he's a top 4 NHL Dman. 

Haag has shown flashes of very good play over the years, like you said ...he is just so inconsistent, he even showed some good moves rushing the puck and scoring some nice goals a couple of seasons ago. If he could put it all together he would be a very good third pair guy. The time off with an injury did him well, let’s see if it lasts. I just wonder if the management would ever consider a third pair of Morin and Haag, who knows if it would work, but it may come down to keeping one or the other.

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The rest of it, is that I'm not entirely convinced that they're being properly coached

Who would properly coach these guys?

Asking for an organization*. Clearly Vigneault with his 1,300 games coached and two Finals appearances has no idea how to properly coach a hockey team.

:thumbsu:

In other news, while we may think that fans and the organization* may overvalue players, NAK is so valuable to the team dailyfaceoff has him playing both Left and Right wing on the fourth line.

Now that's value!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Obviously it's because he knows nothing about coaching a hockey team.

:hocky:

This is apparent by keep giving guys who couldn't get laid in a whorehouse with a fist full of 100 dollar bills.

Just mid numbing the things we see from this club.

But we can give him a pass because well he has been to two Cups right....let's find someone else to blame...Mike Yeo looks like a good target then..

...or the equipment guy...

:BrownBag:

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

But we can give him a pass because well he has been to two Cups right....let's find someone else to blame...Mike Yeo looks like a good target then..

It's amusing how the players have - as you pointed out - failed in the shootout repeatedly over the course of almost 10 years and the obvious problem is the current coach not putting a 4th liner out there.

I mean, I'm not against trying it...

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Your missing the point, our top prospects, guys like Foerester, Wisdom , Brink and Allison are not fourth line players, these guys are scorers who will play on the second or third line to start and events the first line. So a guy like Laughton will not be blocking their chance to make the team. So , like I said, we do not have anyone to fit Laughtons role on the fourth line.  What do you expect from a fourth liner ?, 30 goals?, we can’t get that from our first line guys. Laughton was on pace for 40 points based on a whole season. He kills penalties, hits, is good on faceoffs, forechecks and  plays hard . You are expecting too much from a role player.  

I like this post. Lots of material.

Those young guys will most likely start out on lower lines to get their feet wet. If they are immediate 1st, 2nd line guys, get them in here NOW

19 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

What do you expect from a fourth liner ?, 30 goals?, we can’t get that from our first line guys

um, no we cant

I expect , I don't know, 7 to 10 goals, maybe 20 assists. On second thought, that's about what our first line players do. Fck it! I give up. What was the question?

20 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Laughton was on pace for 40 points based on a whole season.

at one point JVR was a ppg player

1 minute ago, radoran said:

I mean, I'm not against trying it...

Exactly what they are doing ISN'T working...or it could be just like Ground Hog day around here.

...no no really keep trying eventually you'll score....keep plugging away!!!!!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly what they are doing ISN'T working...or it could be just like Ground Hog day around here.

Thought...wouldn't it be Gopher Day...since Minnesotan Paul Holmgren is from there? :ph34r:

• Uggh... 1

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I expect , I don't know, 7 to 10 goals, maybe 20 assists.

well, that's why his 12-goal, 20-assist season in 18-19 got him a two year deal and more than double his previous salary...

:56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

45 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Raffl is not coming back, Laszynski is gonna replace him. Patrick is not physical, is not great defensively, he is not suited for the fourth line. If Patrick cannot thrive on the second or third line, then it’s time to get rid of him. At this point Laughton is far more valuable than Patrick.

wasnt Patrick the 4th line center last night?

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I like this post. Lots of material.

Those young guys will most likely start out on lower lines to get their feet wet. If they are immediate 1st, 2nd line guys, get them in here NOW

Do you really think that a fourth line of rookies is gonna be successful? You need a guy like Laughton for the fourth line, what rookie is gonna step in and be a  good penalty killer to replace Laughton? Laszynski is most definitely replacing Raffl,     So that’s one rookie already on the fourth line already, I believe Allison will step in and play on the third line right off the bat. I don’t think Wisdom or Brink will make the team yet and Foerester is better off scoring big goals in the AHL and playing  big minutes than getting spot duty on the fourth line.

Do I wish we could get rid of all the overpaid stiffs and play the young guys, yes, but it is not reality. Facts over Feelings.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

wasnt Patrick the 4th line center last night?

Yeah and he’ sucked as usual , plenty of players get sent to the fourth line when they are not playing well. It doesn’t mean they are suited for a line that is supposed to kill penalties and take the body and shutdown the other team. Laughton is a guy that plays his role very well, you might look at him as a first round pick and be disappointed he isn’t a better player, but he is doing exactly what is expected of him, unlike many other guys on the team. 

Edited by RonJeremy

20 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's amusing how the players have - as you pointed out - failed in the shootout repeatedly over the course of almost 10 years and the obvious problem is the current coach not putting a 4th liner out there.

It really is a mystery that stumps everyone I've ever heard comment about it. How this team can be so bad at something every single guy has practiced ever since he first held a hockey stick. Heck the law of averages should've caught up by now but even that does them no good.

IIRC Konecny was 4 for 7 until this season...and Couturier was around the same...I need to look it up but I thought there were 2 or 3 guys who had decent records, at least till this year.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Phil Conner!

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Yeah and he’ sucked as usual , plenty of players get sent to the fourth line when they are not playing well. It doesn’t mean they are suited for a line that is supposed to kill penalties and take the body and shutdown the other team. Laughton is a guy that plays his role very well, you might look at him as a first round pick and be disappointed he isn’t a better player, but he is doing exactly what is expected of him, unlike many other guys on the team. 

When Laughton was drafted in the first round, do you think it was because they Flyers wanted a 4th line center?

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

do you think it was because they Flyers wanted a 4th line center?

No dumb dumb that is what Nolan Patrick was selected for...good lawd the hockey IQ around these parts...

• Haha 1

In the last 7 years just one player currently wearing O&B is over 30% in the shootout. His name...yes you guessed it, he's your favorite and mine: Jakob Voracek! At 32.6% he's the best over the last seven years.

Wayne Simmonds (35.3%) makes 2 Flyers in 7 years over 30%.

Maybe it's not such a mystery why the Flyers suck in the SO.

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

When Laughton was drafted in the first round, do you think it was because they Flyers wanted a 4th line center?

Laughton was a late pick and not projected to be a superstar like Patrick. You still fail to answer the question, all this is irrelevant...the question is...who is gonna replace Laughtons specific role and don’t come up with a bull crap answer that you don’t know who is gonna be on the team.. we have no cap $, if any trades happen it’s for defenseman , we are not replacing 5 or 6 players in any way and there is no one from thePhantoms that has shown any indication that they can replace Laughton. So in using all of your coaching acumen and vast hockey knowledge, who is ready to step in and do Laughtons job .

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

In the last 7 years just one player currently wearing O&B is over 30% in the shootout. His name...yes you guessed it, he's your favorite and mine: Jakob Voracek! At 32.6% he's the best over the last seven years.

Wayne Simmonds (35.3%) makes 2 Flyers in 7 years over 30%.

Maybe it's not such a mystery why the Flyers suck in the SO.

We have sucked since the inception of the shootout, different coaches, different players, same results...on a good note we have some shoot first sniper types in the system that can hopefully change this.

• Like 3

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Tanner Laczynski.

No, he is already replacing Raffl, and our other potential 4th liners like Bunnamn and Twrynski have not shown any indication that they are better or even equal to Laughton .