Are the Flyers this Year's Biggest Disappointment?

Howie58

10 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

To me, that's where the Flyers are. A .500, middle of the pack team. Far from the bottom, but also far from the top.  :) 

So if we got into the prorating business like you we would be less disappointed?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Buffalo is probably #1 most disappointing. 

I think the Flyers were a little too good last season for what they were. This season's drop off is more of a correction. Although under normal circumstances, I think you would be one of those bubble playoff teams fighting for the last spot.  To me, that's where the Flyers are. A .500, middle of the pack team. Far from the bottom, but also far from the top.  :) 

I think when you couple the fact that, as I've said before...everywhere Taylor Hall goes, losing follows, with the fact that they have a very meh roster, and had a coach that was almost definitely over his head, it makes sense that they are where they are. They are another team, like the Flyers with Giroux, that gave Eichel the "C" before they should have. I had very little expectation, for them to succeed this season. The Flyers on the other hand, are an organization that high hopes and management has sat on their collective hands..as the season fades away. At least in the Sabres case, they'll have a high draft pick. Meanwhile, the Flyers are in the typical "our culture is just fine, thank you" denial. So, to me, it's the Flyers that are most disappointing. This team was supposed to be, at the very least, competing for a division title. I didn't expect it to be a Cup-winning, but I didn't expect this blah garbage from them, either.

Edited by FD19372

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Yes?

This was/is a tough division, so playing tight games with Boston and the Islanders or Pens was to be expected. 

Losing and looking lost & disinterested to NYR,NJD, and BUF is the symptom I find most concerning. 

Watching NYR's 6 good players or NJD's 3 good players embarrass the Flyers on the regular isn't what anyone expected. 

A full year's worth of miscalculation by the FO has wasted another season.

I don't think all the players suck, but only 2 are difficult to play against regularly.

Weight room and bullying classes are needed. 

Our guys get pushed off the puck too easily and they allow opponents to hang out in scoring areas with zero consequences, and they don't block shots either. 

This year's version of the team has been a huge disappointment. 

Great post.

And some of these issues were known this offseason.

The problem nothing was done to try and address this....they took the easy way out by using the excuse the team we saw before the shutdown was the true team and the one they were expecting back...but once again the issues were still there during the streak it is just they found a way to squeak out more wins.

And what the real issue is all those team got better. The Flyers didn't.

And now we see the results of resting our your laurels.

The core is tainted and has to be disassembled as soon as the season is over.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Great post.

And some of these issues were known this offseason.

The problem nothing was done to try and address this....they took the easy way out by using the excuse the team we saw before the shutdown was the true team and the one they were expecting back...but once again the issues were still there during the streak it is just they found a way to squeak out more wins.

And what the real issue is all those team got better. The Flyers didn't.

And now we see the results of resting our your laurels.

The core is tainted and has to be disassembled as soon as the season is over.

They absolutely "rested on their laurels". They did nothing but...I'll use this analogy again, patch up a pothole with chewing gum. Instead of finding a good player that could replace a Niskanen, they stayed within..and don't give me Gustafsson, he stinks. The core is, yes, tainted, Giroux, Voracek... and the organization copped out instead of fixing it, just like they copped out with fixing the D. How nice.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

They absolutely "rested on their laurels". They did nothing but...I'll use this analogy again, patch up a pothole with chewing gum. Instead of finding a good player that could replace a Niskanen, they stayed within..and don't give me Gustafsson, he stinks. the core is tainted, and the organization copped out instead of fixing it. How nice.

They were a 106 paced team last year and this year with Gus's services they are a 90 point pace team.

No matter how you slice it one thing holds true....this team just isn't good enough and has basically been passed by the like of the NY frigging Rangers....what a travesty.

• Good Post 1

You know, I know he's a young player who hasn't had the best of seasons, and doesn't have the "clout" yet...but you know who should be p*ssed at this organization? Carter Hart. They have done NOTHING to help this kid.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Buffalo is probably #1 most disappointing. 

I think the Flyers were a little too good last season for what they were. This season's drop off is more of a correction. Although under normal circumstances, I think you would be one of those bubble playoff teams fighting for the last spot.  To me, that's where the Flyers are. A .500, middle of the pack team. Far from the bottom, but also far from the top.  :) 

Leafs fans are experts on "disappointing"

5 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Somebody wake up Chuck. 

Chuck is actually Bernie, from Weekend at Bernie's. Holmgren might be another Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's. My theory is they're actually dead, and we never they knew it. It would explain a lot of their inactivity.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I think when you couple the fact that, as I've said before...everywhere Taylor Hall goes, losing follows, with the fact that they have a very meh roster, and had a coach that was almost definitely over his head, it makes sense that they are where they are. They are another team, like the Flyers with Giroux, that gave Eichel the "C" before they should have. I had very little expectation, for them to succeed this season.

I agree that with Buffalo's roster in YOUR division, they were never going to be in the playoffs this season. I think Sabres management probably thought they would be competitive for one of the final playoff spots. For them to be the worst team in the NHL was unexpected.

14 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The Flyers on the other hand, are an organization that high hopes and management has sat on their collective hands..as the season fades away. At least in the Sabres case, they'll have a high draft pick. Meanwhile, the Flyers are in the typical "our culture is just fine, thank you" denial. So, to me, it's the Flyers that are most disappointing. This team was supposed to be, at the very least, competing for a division title.

I think if you look at the Flyers going into last season, nobody expected the Flyers to win a division title. They weren't even picked to make the playoffs if I recall correctly. It wasn't until that incredible winning streak that people really started to take notice of them. The Flyers play last season caught a lot of teams by surprise. So, that's why I think they were too high last season and now they're slightly too low this season (but that's because of the division). The truth of where the Flyers really are when life (hopefully) returns to normal is take last year's team stats + this year's team stats and divide by two.  :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The truth of where the Flyers really are when life (hopefully) returns to normal is take last year's team stats + this year's team stats and divide by two.  :) 

Add to the equation the morale effects of a bad season. They might be a bit better if the room finds its battle level, a bit worse if they don't.

• Like 1

I know the usuals have been mentioned many many times but a guy who has disappointed me has been NAK.

They let Pitlick go I think because they thought NAK was ready to take over the job but man he has been down right bad this year.

Taking stupid penalties and missing open nets his game has fell off big time and I would be surprised if they trade him.

He isn't alone but he is a guy I expected big things from this year as far as improvement and maybe adding some scoring but we'll looks like I was off the mark big time.

Just a product of the overall disappointment with this team.