Eric Staal Returning to NHL (59 Goals Shy of 500)

NHL HHOF

usatsi_19609121.jpg

ERIC STAAL EXCELS IN FLORIDA WITH FAMILY IN TOW

Eric Staal had one last chance to play in the NHL, and he got it with brother Marc and the Florida Panthers. He's now thriving after a slow start.

JACOB STOLLER

JAN 9, 2023

https://thehockeynews.com/news/eric-staal-excels-in-florida-with-family-in-tow

While golfing with his three brothers at Pebble Beach during the first hours of free agency last summer, Eric Staal wasn’t expecting to hear from an NHL team that day. 

But he did. 

It all started during some downtime after a morning of hitting the links for the Staal brother quartet. First, their agent, Richard Curran, called D-man Marc Staal to inform him that the Florida Panthers were interested. Then, Curran called Eric Staal, 38, and told him Florida offered him a professional tryout (PTO).

Despite going unsigned through the 2021-22 NHL season, Staal hadn’t hung up his skates. During his first season away from the NHL in nearly 20 years, Staal regularly trained in Minnesota throughout the year, where his family remained since his Wild tenure. In February, he captained the Canadian men’s Olympic team. 

After mulling it over with his family and brothers, the opportunity seemed like a no-brainer. And just like that, he and Marc digitally signed their offers while the brothers ate lunch at the clubhouse overlooking the 18th hole.

“You normally don’t see a PTO signed on Day 1 of free agency,” Staal told The Hockey News. “But for me, I knew that was the route I’d have to go to get back into the league.”

Staal knew this was his last kick at the can.

“If it didn’t work out, I would have bowed away and gone back to coaching my kids’ minor hockey teams in Minnesota,” Staal said. 

After a strong training camp, Staal impressed the Panthers’ brass enough that they wanted to sign him. But Florida didn’t have room for another contract. The Panthers asked Staal if he would still skate with them sans contract indefinitely, which he was willing to do. But he wasn’t in limbo for long as an injury to Aaron Ekblad opened up a roster spot, and 11 days after being released from his PTO, Staal signed a one-year contract with Florida.

“I may not be running the first power-play unit anymore... but I can still play a valuable role in helping a team win.” - Eric Staal

Through his first 16 games of the season, Staal scored zero points while averaging 11:47 TOI/GP as the team’s fourth-line center. 

“If you take a year off, it’s going to take you a while to get your game back,” Panthers coach Paul Maurice said.

Mind you, Staal was being deployed in an unfamiliar role. The six-time NHL all-star was being asked to kill penalties and play a low-event, defensive-minded style. 

“It’s not easy to just change the way your game, like that,” said Minnesota Wild forward Mats Zuccarello, Staal’s teammate with the Wild and New York Rangers. “But he’s just so driven. He’s just hungry. That’s been the key for him to be as good as he has been his whole career.”

But since the start of December, when injuries up front opened up more ice time, Staal turned back the clock. He’s recorded 13 points in his last 18 games while averaging 16:08 nightly. 

Through that same span, his 3.47 5-on-5 points per 60 minutes place him second in the league among skaters who have played at least 200 minutes, according to Natural Stat Trick. 

The way he’s producing offense is much different than he did in his prime. Instead of taking the puck coast to coast and ripping it top corner, he’s generating chances by cycling and forechecking.

“I may not be running the first power-play unit anymore or getting all the touches like I was even a couple of years ago, but I can still play a valuable role in helping a team win,” Staal said.

From the Panthers’ point of view, Staal’s value goes far beyond just what he does on the ice. 

Heading into the 2022-23 season, Maurice said the Panthers – who underwent major roster reconstruction this off-season – knew they needed a veteran voice like Staal to help share the leadership duties with Barkov.

“He gets respect from everyone, and it’s because of a combination of two things: his accomplishments and how he operates on a daily basis,” Maurice said. “He’s not taking practices off. He’s not taking morning skates off. He’s not lying on the table every day. He’s pushing as hard as anybody else out on the ice. 

“We’ve got a lot of young players here that are looking at Eric Staal – the Stanley Cup champion and Olympian – who loves being on the ice and working hard every day. It’s just such a great mentorship for them.”

That PTO Stall signed at the golf course proved to be his chance to keep pushing hard after the sour taste in his mouth from the 2020-21 bubble season.

He not only lost in the Cup final with Montreal that year, but he was away from his family for most of a year due to COVID-19 restrictions. That’s not the way he wanted to go out.

Contrary to his last NHL season, this year has lots of family time. Staal said he’s enjoyed having his kids – aged 13, 11 and eight – around the rink and in the dressing room. Sometimes, they go on the ice after practice and skate. They’re at the age now where they’ll remember the days of hanging out in the Florida Panthers locker room. 

“I remember, as a younger guy, some of the older guys having their kids do the same, and it’s just really cool that it’s come full circle at this point,” he said.

From Staal’s point of view, the Panthers allowed him to write the final chapter of his career with his family and his brother’s family. 

“The more and more time they spend together, they start fighting like brothers and sisters,” Staal said of his and Marc’s kids. “But it’s all good stuff.” 

Enough Offense? 4 Bargain UFAs to Add Goals to Penguins’ Bottom-Six

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsburgh-penguins-nhl-free-agents-tomas-tatar-lines-eric-staal/

2. Eric Staal

Another 38-year-old that still has some gas in the tank for one more season. Staal had 29 points, including 14 goals, with the Florida Panthers last season despite being cast in a fourth-line role. He could neatly fill the Penguins’ fourth-line center role, allowing Sullivan to mix and match the wingers that fit Eller and Staal best.

Staal has become a hard-nosed pivot, excelling in the dirty areas of the rink and able to kill penalties. He made only $750,000 last season. If he’s willing to brave snow again, he could be a solid addition.

647b5d3d40e29.image.jpg?resize=720,580

Staal back at Stanley's door

By Reuben Villagracia, CJ Staff Jun 3, 2023

https://www.chroniclejournal.com/sports/staal-back-at-stanleys-door/article_9566fd78-0223-11ee-99c2-af5741be9959.html

After Eric Staal and the Montreal Canadiens lost the Stanley Cup final to the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2021, he stressed how important it was to get to this level and how any NHLer shouldn’t take the opportunity for granted.

Two years later — and a whole lot of challenges and questions marks surrounding his own mortality in professional hockey in between — Staal is right back in the big dance.

The decorated Thunder Bay hockey star was a guest on the NHL’s The Rink podcast on Wednesday where talked about his Florida Panthers’ chances in the league final against the Vegas Golden Knights, his changing role and the idea of helping his brother, Marc, earn that first Cup ring.

Game 1 of the best-of-seven final goes Saturday night (8 p.m., CBC, Sportsnet) in Las Vegas.

“It means a lot with where I’ve been the last couple years and a different path to this moment and this opportunity. It’s the path I’m supposed to be on, nonetheless,” Staal told podcast hosts Dan Rosen and Shawn Roarke of NHL.com. “What a great chance for our group and this team. It was a tremendous opportunity at the beginning of the year to join alongside these guys and we got better as the year went on. We got into the playoffs and (were) really comfortable in the roles we were asked to play. Getting to this point in the finals, you get another chance to win a Stanley Cup and you can’t ask for more than that. I’m excited to get started (tonight).”

Staal, 38, was a late edition to the Panthers in October while on a professional tryout contract. At first the Panthers were being forced to cut Staal, but injuries helped balance out the salary cap scale and Staal was able to join younger brother and defenceman Marc, who also signed for the league minimum last summer.

While the two aren’t putting up the points or given top defensive assignments like in their primes, Eric and Marc have been regulars on a surprising Panthers club that went from the eighth seed in the East to defeat the top-ranked Boston Bruins, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Carolina Hurricanes (featuring the other Staal brother — Jordan) on their march to the Cup. Eric Staal has one goal and two assists in 16 playoff games this season after putting up 29 points in the 72 regular season contests.

Staal had spent the 2021-22 season in NHL purgatory. Despite being a veteran presence on another Cinderella squad — the 2021 Canadiens — Staal didn’t attract the right kind of interest from any teams and chose to play for Canada at the 2022 Winter Olympic Games. Still, the best he could do was the PTO with Florida.

“It takes a little bit of swell on the ego, that’s for sure,” Staal recalled. “But for me, I try to never have one of those. I’ve never played with an ego when I was a little kid. I played the game because I loved playing the game. I love being at the rink. I love competing. Been that way since I was five, six years old.”

He leaned on the right people to hang in there when the offer well had run dry.

“I’m fortunate to have the support of my wife and my kids and the people around me that know me well and care about me and understand what I am,” said Staal, who won a Stanley Cup in just his second NHL season with the Hurricanes in 2006. “They were all saying the same thing, ‘Go for it. Take that chance. Take that opportunity.’ They believed I would be successful and here we are. Lessons can show firsthand with my own kids and other people too that you don’t always just have to roll over. You can keep fighting and sometimes get that chance and opportunity.”

Of the three Staal brothers to enjoy lengthy NHL careers (youngest brother Jared Staal didn’t crack the majors but is now a key coaching member of the Panthers AHL affiliate in Charlotte), Marc has yet to win the Stanley Cup. He was a member of the New York Rangers hat went to the final in 2014. Jordan won with Pittsburgh in 2009.

“He’s had a phenomenal career. He’s been a great player for many years,” Eric said of Marc. “He’s been in many moments, not even team-wise but personally with a couple of his tough injuries. What a chance for him and for us. That’s added to it. It would be extremely special for the rest of your life. But the focus is on Game 1. . . . What a chance to accomplish a childhood dream.”

Edited by NHL HHOF

NHL Tonight: Eric Staal May 22, 2023

Eric Staal on the Florida Panthers defeating the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final 

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/video/nhl-tonight-eric-staal/t-277437408/c-17327262

Staal Starts Scoring With SHG Jun 3, 2023

Cup Final, Gm1: Eric Staal tucks the puck in on a wraparound for a short-handed goal, giving the Panthers a 1-0 lead in the 1st period

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/video/staal-starts-scoring-with-shg/t-277437408/c-17486214

Post Game Interviews 6/3/23 Jun 4, 2023

Hear from Eric Staal, Sergei Bobrovsky and Head Coach Paul Maurice following Florida's 5-2 loss to Vegas in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/video/post-game-interviews-6323/t-277437408/c-17491423

Edited by NHL HHOF

Top five value NHL free agents still available for 2023-24

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/top-5-value-nhl-free-agents-still-available-for-2023-24

Eric Staal, C, 38

2022-23 Salary: $750,000
AFP Projection: $948,768

Most expected Staal’s career to be over after he went unsigned in 2021-22 and had an underwhelming Olympic performance with Canada. But Staal and his brother, Marc, bet on themselves and joined Florida, advancing all the way to the Stanley Cup Final. Eric even had a decent campaign, recording 14 goals and 29 points in 72 games, with another five in the playoffs. While he’s clearly not the 70-point threat he used to be, Staal can still hold his own as a bottom-line center with a long history of wearing a letter on the front of his jersey. Someone looking for cheap leadership and two-way play could take a run at Staal.

After Year Away, Eric Staal Hitting Stride with the Florida Panthers

https://floridahockeynow.com/after-year-away-eric-staal-hitting-stride-with-the-florida-panthers/

Eric Staal Returns to face Carolina Hurricanes with the Florida Panthers

https://floridahockeynow.com/eric-staal-returns-to-face-carolina-hurricanes-with-the-florida-panthers/

• 2 weeks later...

Oilers: 3 Good Value Free Agents the Team Can Still Sign

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-good-value-free-agent-targets-2023/

July 24, 2023 by Jesse Courville-Lynch

Eric Staal, Center – 38 Years Old

The third player the Oilers could look into signing is veteran centreman Eric Staal. He is coming off of a Stanley Cup Final run with the Florida Panthers and only earned the contract with them after an impressive showing during training camp after he earned a professional tryout. Listed at 6-foot-4, 194 pounds, he would be an ideal player for the Oilers’ fourth line. He can provide depth scoring as he has with the other six teams he has played for during his career and would be the veteran presence the Oilers have been looking to add.

Staal played his junior career in the Ontario Hockey League with the Peterborough Petes and was drafted in the first round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft by the Hurricanes at second overall. He put up 81 goals and added 128 assists for 209 points through 185 games with the Petes which comes out to a 1.13 points per game average. During the 2003-04 season, he played 81 games with the Hurricanes and scored 11 goals, and added 20 assists for 31 points for a solid rookie campaign.

Staal has since played 1,365 games at the NHL level. He has scored 455 goals and added 608 assists for 1,063 points during that time which comes out to a 0.78 points per game average. He is exactly what the Oilers need if they’re looking for a fourth-line centreman. He’s a solid two-way player that can put up points and has the veteran leadership teams need in the playoffs. I believe he’d be willing to sign a one-year deal with the Oilers at $775,000 and play the role they need him to play in the bottom six.

notWebP

Panthers' Eric Staal: Sets franchise record with goals

By RotoWire Staff

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:16 am ET•1 min read

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/panthers-eric-staal-sets-franchise-record-with-goals/

Staal scored two shorthanded, empty-net goals Thursday in a 4-1 win over San Jose. Staal's two goals in 34 seconds were the fastest two third-period goals in Panthers' history, bettering Vincent Trocheck's two in 38 seconds on April 2, 2015. He now has 10 goals and eight assists in 44 games, but at 38, Staal's best is behind him.

Edited by NHL HHOF

3 active NHL players who were in the league before 2004/05 lockout

https://www.sportskeeda.com/ice-hockey/3-active-nhl-players-league-2004-05-lockout

#3, Eric Staal

A player with a knack for scoring crucial goals, Eric Staal has been a fixture in the league since being drafted second overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in 2003. The centerman's blend of speed, skill, and hockey intelligence has seen him excel throughout his journey in the league.

Staal's career highlights include a Stanley Cup victory with the Hurricanes in 2006 and being selected to numerous All-Star Games. He has proven to be a leader both on and off the ice, serving as captain for several teams during his career.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, NHL HHOF said:

So far, the media has Eric Staal going to the Edmonton Oilers or the Pittsburgh Penguins.

A return to the Carolina Hurricanes? Florida Panthers reconsidering?

NHL Rumors: 2 Potential Free-Agent Destinations for Eric Staal

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2023/08/nhl-rumors-2-potential-free-agent_9.html

Eric Staal is coming off of a decent season with the Florida Panthers, where he posted 14 goals and 29 points while playing fourth-line minutes. Yet, at this point of the summer, he still does not have a home. However, when noting that he has a ton of experience and can still make a difference in a bottom-six role, perhaps things could change on that front soon. Let's discuss two possible landing spots for him now. 

Carolina Hurricanes: Could Staal rejoin the Hurricanes and end his career with the team he will forever be remembered most playing for? Perhaps it could make sense. The Hurricanes lost two grizzled veterans in Paul Stastny and Derek Stepan this offseason, and there could be a spot for them as their 4C because of it. It also would reunite him with his brother, Jordan Staal, as the Canes look to win the Stanley Cup in 2024. 

Florida Panthers: Perhaps the Panthers could even consider bringing back Staal. As stated above, he was effective for them in a small role last season. With that, it would not hurt them to add a bit more forward depth to their group before the start of the season.

We will need to wait and see if Staal ends up playing another season with one of these two teams from here.

USATSI_20834831.jpg

Two Members of 2022-23 Florida Panthers Remain Free Agents

Published 3 days ago on August 21, 2023 By George Richards 

https://floridahockeynow.com/two-members-of-2022-23-florida-panthers-free-agents-staal-colin-white/

When July 1 hit and the NHL market opened, most of the free agents who played for the Panthers last season found a new home or, in the case of Lucas Carlsson, re-signed with Florida. Some, like Radko Gudas, got a nice payday in moving on. Aleksi Heponiemi even went to Europe. But with a few weeks left before training camps start to open, all but two players who spent time with the Panthers last season know where they will be playing this season: Eric Staal and Colin White. Both players signed on with the Panthers last season on one-year deals which were not extended.

Staal, 38, came to Florida camp on a professional tryout with the thought that if he looked like the Panthers hoped, that would turn into the contract. He did and it did. White was a different story as he was a restricted free agent who was signed to a one-year deal after his contract was bought out by Ottawa. Florida could have kept White by making him a qualifying offer but decided not to do so. White is currently still on the market. The two players are expected to be at training camp, somewhere, next month. Staal is a player who showed a lot of worth coming back with the Panthers. After a slow first month as he got reacquainted to the NHL after a season away, Staal ended up finding his groove and played a nice role with Florida. While not expected, it would not be surprising to see him back with the Panthers on a PTO.

Florida thinks highly of Staal — his brother, Marc, left as a free agent to sign with the Flyers — and could always use center depth. Kevin Stenlund was signed by Florida on July 1 to be the new fourth line center but stranger things have happened than Staal coming back to the Panthers at least on a PTO. Staal did seem to enjoy his season with the Panthers. He ended the season with 14 goals and 29 points during the regular season and added two goals and five points in 21 postseason games. “I am just proud to be associated with this group,” Staal said after Florida’s 4-3 win over Carolina in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals. “This is such a determined, competitive bunch of guys. And they have been all year. It was tough at times. But it is fun in this moment. Yeah, we have work ahead of us but we can enjoy this. “I did not say that because I did not believe it. I did. I knew it. But it wasn’t going to come easy because it doesn’t in this league. It is just fun to be with these guys.” As for White, things did not go as smoothly in his season with the Panthers — one reason the team let him walk this summer.

Although White was versatile and moved around the lineup in numerous places, things rarely clicked and he ended the season with eight goals and 15 points in 68 games — getting just three goals with an assist from December on. In the playoffs, he had two assists in 22 games. “When things are not going good, it is tough and you will try anything,” White said in January. “You just have to take a deep breath and relax.”

FFD8926A-C943-4577-8749-40571D587993.jpe

After a season in which he scored 14 goals with the Florida Panthers, Eric Staal remains a free agent with a few weeks left before training camp. 

Edited by NHL HHOF

• 1 month later...