Boston Bruins Draft 2023

Brewin Flames

Bruins’ Draft Picks Are Scarce, but They Do Have Options

by 

Boston Bruins general manager (GM) Don Sweeney has a crucial offseason ahead of him. While spending season after season as Stanley Cup contenders, the Bruins have traded away many of their top draft picks to add significant roster pieces in hopes of winning hockey’s ultimate prize. Unfortunately, the club hasn’t delivered in the postseason, and as a result, their prospect pool lacks NHL-ready players. The 2023 NHL Entry Draft marks the first marquee event of the offseason, and the Bruins, barring a trade, will not make a selection in the first or second round. However, they still have five selections going into draft weekend. Today, we take a look at some potential draft targets that will help the Bruins address areas of concern.

Positions Bruins Need to Address at the Draft

With captain Patrice Bergeron and longtime veteran

and David Krejci still undecided on returning for another season, the Bruins have an obvious hole at the center position. They should be looking at drafting a center to bolster their pipeline, which seems particularly thin. John Beecher was selected 30th overall in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and played his first full season with the Providence Bruins last season. In 61 games, he had nine goals and 14 assists for just 23 points.

The consensus is that Beecher will require more development time in the minors before jumping to the NHL. Aside from him, the Bruins also have Trevor Kuntar, a third-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft who is set to make his professional debut after playing the last three seasons at Boston College. Brett Harrison is an intriguing prospect coming out of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). In 180 games he scored 82 goals and 85 assists for 167 points. He played one game with the P-Bruins last season and picked up one assist. He will also need some continued development at the AHL level before making the jump to Boston.

John Beecher Bruins Draft
John Beecher, Boston Bruins, 2019 NHL Draft (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

Another position the Bruins should be looking to address is the depth on the right side of their defensive corps. With Connor Clifton set to become an unrestricted free agent, the Bruins have Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo under contract next season. When looking at their depth chart at the position, they have Ryan Mast, a 6-foot-5, 213-pound defenceman who has played the past three seasons with the Sarnia Sting in the OHL. He is essentially the Bruins’ only prospective right defenceman who may have a future shot at playing in Boston.

Lastly, the Bruins could benefit from drafting a right winger as their overall depth is also bleak at the position. Fabian Lysell has been regarded as their top forward prospect and in his first season with Providence he had 14 goals and 23 assists for 37 points in 54 games. The Bruins’ 21st overall selection from the 2021 NHL Entry Draft is still adapting to the North American game after having spent just one season with the Vancouver Giants in the Western Hockey League (WHL) before turning pro last season. He seems best suited to continue his development in Providence while working on his strength during the offseason, however, with the Bruins’ current cap situation there is always a possibility of him breaking camp this season.

Bruins’ Potential 2023 Draft Targets in 3rd Round (93rd Overall)

As previously mentioned, the Bruins will not make a selection until late in the third round of next week’s NHL Entry Draft. Here are three prospects who may be available with their 93rd overall pick.

Connor Levis (C) Kamloops Blazers – WHL

Connor Levis is a center who possesses good size and strength. At 6-foot-2, 194 pounds he is difficult to knock off the puck and strong when it comes to puck battles along the boards. While he currently isn’t a game-breaking offensive threat, his defensive game is sound largely due to his good positioning. He moves the puck quickly and while he is not the fastest skater, his skating is neither a weakness which suits the tenacious, hard style of game he plays.

Connor Levis Kamloops Blazers
Connor Levis, Kamloops Blazers (Candice Ward/CHL)

THW’s Peter Baracchini has him ranked 93rd, while other outlets also have him projected as a late third-round or early fourth-round pick. In 68 games this season with the Kamloops Blazers he scored 27 goals and 40 assists for 67 points while spending the majority of his time in a third-line role.

Tanner Ludtke (C) Lincoln Stars – USHL

The Bruins are no strangers to drafting players out of the United States Hockey League (USHL) and center Tanner Ludtke could potentially be the next. In 57 games with the Lincoln Stars, he scored 32 goals and 34 assists for 66 points. Despite the solid offensive numbers, his greatest strength is his defensive play. He has already committed to playing the 2023-24 season with the Univerisity of Nebraska-Omaha so the Bruins may be reluctant to select him if they are looking for returns sooner than later.

Tanner Ludtke Lincoln Stars
Tanner Ludtke, Lincoln Stars (Brandon Anderson / Lincoln Stars)

Ludtke’s strength as a potential two-way center could be enticing for the Bruins as they will be looking to fill what has been a strength for so long during the Bergeron era. However, he needs to become more creative in the offensive zone and work on his skating mechanics. He is also projected to be drafted in the mid to late rounds of the draft with a projected ceiling as a bottom-six center.

Rasmus Kumpulainen (C) Pelicans – SM Liiga Jr

Rasmus Kumpulainen is another center whose various projections have him ranked anywhere from 69th (TSN’s Craig Button) to 96th on THW Baracchini’s rankings. He is another big center who is reliable at both ends of the ice. He has the ability to use his size (6-foot-2, 196 pounds) to win puck battles and plays well in front of opposing team’s nets.

He had 34 points in 41 games last season and also added five points in five games at the U18s. While he possesses good vision and creates scoring chances for his linemates, his skating needs improvement for him to grow into a potential pivot at the NHL level.

While the Bruins’ main focus should be to select a center with their third-round pick, they also need to come out of the draft with at least one more right-handed defenceman added to their prospect pool. However, they could find some enticing right wing candidates as well with their fourth-round selection.

Jordan Tourigny (RD) Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

Despite many Bruins fans’ love for the big body defenceman, the game is continually evolving and puck mobility from the back end is a must-have with the speed of today’s game. Jordan Tourigny is a right-handed defenceman standing at 5-foot-11, 165 pounds. What he lacks in size he makes up for with his puck-carrying skills and high-quality skating. He joins the offence and is able to open passing lines in the offensive zone while walking the blue line. In 67 games with the Cataractes, he scored six goals and 35 assists for 41 points.

Tourigny was ranked 63rd on the NHL Central Scouting Service’s midterm ranking, however, he fell all the way down to 123rd by the final rankings. If the Bruins are on the board with their 124th overall pick and Tourigny is available they may be getting a steal from a right-handed defenceman with a high offensive potential.

Dylan MacKinnon (RD) Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

At 6-foot-2 187 pounds, Dylan MacKinnon is more of a defensive defenceman compared to the previously mentioned Tourigny. He is a strong skater for his size and is capable of making good breakout passes from his own zone. He is able to play the physical style of game Bruins faithful have grown to love, and he is a difficult defender for opposing forwards on the rush, using stellar positioning and good anticipation.

Dylan MacKinnon Halifax Mooseheads
Dylan MacKinnon, Halifax Mooseheads (Ryan Molag / Langley Events Centre)

While his defensive game is his biggest asset, MacKinnon may still turn into a more effective offensive defenceman with more time. He is also projected to be a third or fourth-round selection. While his NHL potential remains dependent on how his offensive side evolves, he could potentially grow into a second-pairing, shutdown type of defender, or be utilized as a third-pairing defenceman who logs minutes on the penalty kill.

Yegor Sidorov (RW) Saskatoon Blades (WHL)

Yegor Sidorov is a re-entry to this year’s draft as the forward went undrafted last year in Montreal. He is a gifted goal scorer and possesses a great shot from the right side of the ice. With the Bruins’ depth at right wing needing a boost, they may look to select a player such as Sidorov. In 53 games with the Saskatoon Blades, he scored 40 goals and 36 assists for 76 points. His production carried on to the Western Hockey League (WHL) playoffs where he helped lead the Blades to a series win over Connor Bedard and the Regina Pats. The Blades then advanced past the Red Deer Rebels before losing out to the Winnipeg ICE. In 16 playoff games, he scored nine goals and ten assists for 19 points.

Egor Sidorov Saskatoon Blades
Egor Sidorov, Saskatoon Blades (Steve Hiscock/Saskatoon Blades)

While Sidorov’s shot is lethal, his skating remains average and his defensive game could use some improvement. However, his full potential remains unknown as he has the offensive skills to become a 30-goal scorer but his competitiveness may leave him as nothing more than a potential depth option at the NHL level.

Bruins Hope to Find a Steal

Despite the Bruins currently sitting without a first or second-round pick, fans should remain optimistic about the possibility of selecting some of the players mentioned. Finding a late-round gem can drastically change the fortunes of a franchise in the NHL. With under a week to go before the 2023 NHL Entry Draft, fans will have to see if Sweeney has any tricks up his sleeve to get back into the first two rounds or if the Bruins can nab a late-round gem of their own.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-upper-deck-nhl-draft-complete-selection-order/c-344894532?tid=277764372

Boston Bruins 2023 Draft Picks *subject to change

Round # 1 (none)

Round # 2 (none)

Round # 3 (92nd overall)  Christoper Pelosi, C

Round # 4 (124th overall)  Beckett Hendrickson, C

Round # 5 (none)

Round # 6 (188th overall) Ryan Walsh, C

Round # 7 (214th overall) Casper Nassen, RW

Round # 7 (220th overall) Kristian Kostadinski, D

Edited by Brewin Flames

Bruins Make Five Selections in 2023 NHL Entry Draft

The Bruins selected forward Christopher Pelosi in the third round (92nd overall) of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft

by Boston Bruins @NHLBruins / Boston Bruins
 June 29, 2023
  •  
  • cut.png

Nashville, TN - Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, June 29, that the team has made five selections in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.

Christopher Pelosi, C, USA 

The Bruins selected forward Christopher Pelosi in the third round (92nd overall) of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. 

Pelosi, 18, appeared in 43 games for the Sioux Falls Stampede of the USHL in 2022-23, recording 13 goals and 6 assists for 19 points. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound forward also appeared in 24 games for the Janesville Jets in the NAHL, tallying 10 goals and 7 assists for 17 points. 

The Sewell, New Jersey native will play for Quinnipiac University beginning in the 2024-25 season. 

Beckett Hendrickson, C, USA 

The Bruins selected forward Beckett Hendrickson in the fourth round (124th overall) of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. 

Hendrickson, 18, appeared in 52 games for the U.S. National Team Development Program U18 team during the 2022-23 season, recording 13 goals and 21 assists for 34 points. The 6-foot-2, 174-pound forward also appeared in 21 games for the USNTDP Juniors, recording 7 goals and 9 assists for 16 points. 

The Minnetonka, Minnesota native played seven games for Team USA at the 2023 U18 World Junior Championship and will play with the University of Minnesota beginning in the 2024-25 season. 

Ryan Walsh, C, USA 

The Bruins selected forward Ryan Walsh in the sixth round (188th overall) of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. 

Walsh, 19, appeared in 61 games for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders of the USHL in 2022-23, recording 30 goals and 49 assists for 79 points. The 6-foot-1, 181-pound forward previously played for the Buffalo Reglas 18U AAA team, recording 24 goals and 35 assists for 59 points in 28 games. 

The Rochester, New York native is headed to Cornell University for the 2023-24 season. 

Casper Nassen, RW, SWE 

The Bruins selected forward Casper Nassen in the seventh round (214th overall) of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. 

Nassen, 19, appeared in 48 games for Vasteras IK J20 of the J20 Swedish Hockey League, recording 23 goals and 17 assists for 40 points. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound forward also appeared in three games for Vasteras IK of Hockey Allsvenskan. 

The Norrtalje, Sweden native will play at Miami University (Ohio) beginning in the 2024-25 season.

Kristian Kostadinski, D, SWE 

The Bruins selected defenseman Kristian Kostadinski in the seventh round (220th overall) of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. 

Kostadinski, 18, appeared in 43 games for Frolunda HC J20 of the J20 Swedish Hockey League, recording 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points. The 6-foot-5, 214-pound defenseman also appeared in nine games for Frolunda HC J18 of the J18 Swedish Hockey League. 

The Goteborg, Sweden native played five games for Team Sweden at the 2023 U18 World Junior Championships. 

Getting to Know: The Bruins' 2023 Draft Class

Boston made five selections, including four forwards, in Nashville

by Elaine Cavalieri and Eric Russo @Elaine_Cav & @erusso22 / BostonBruins.com
 June 29, 2023
  •  
cut.jpg

NASHVILLE - The Bruins made five selections during the 2023 NHL Draft at Bridgestone Arena, selecting four forwards and a defenseman. Here's a closer look at each of the picks:

Christopher Pelosi, Third Round (92nd Overall)

Last Team: Janesville Jets (NAHL)/Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)

Position: Center

Height: 6 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 185 pounds

Shoots: Left

Birthday: March 6, 2005

Hometown: Sewell, New Jersey

Central Scouting Rank: 127th (North American Skaters)

Miscellaneous:

• Played 43 games with the Sioux Falls Stampede last season, notching 13 goals and six assists for 29 points
  • Spent 24 games with the Janesville Jets of the NAHL in 2022-23, earning 10 goals and seven assists for 17 points
  • Committed to Quinnipiac University for the 2024-25 campaign
  • Skated two seasons for Mount St. Charles Academy in Rhode Island

"I just got home from the rink, and I sat down to throw on the draft and I saw my name pop up right away, I was pretty pumped," Pelosi said when asked how he got the good news.

The 6-foot-1 centerman prides himself on his versatility, saying "l'm a pretty good offensive forward but I can also play in all three zones. I'm also able to use my stick in battles and stuff to fish that puck out and not get myself pinned along the wall."

Pelosi won't be too far from Boston come next fall, as he gets set to join the most recent NCAA National Championship team at Quinnipiac University.

"Everything was right there, right where you need it, the gym was brand new, the rink was right there, they had a shooting spot," Pelosi, who grew up playing against the son of Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold, on his decision to commit to the Bobcats. "It was everything I needed."

In terms of what the summer looks like for Pelosi, he remains focused on the future ahead.

"I'm just going to keep working hard and hopefully take some big steps this summer and prove a lot of people wrong," he said.

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney said that type of "conviction" was among the attributes that stood out when profiling the centerman.

"We think it's 200-feet in detail, a little bit of a different path over the course of the year," said Sweeney. "We like the conviction in the young man to sort of take the setback in stride and pick himself up and move forward and then realize that.

"I don't think that he necessarily thought he was going to be in the lineup every night and then [Sioux Falls] brought him up for a couple of games and next thing you know you can't get him out.

"He ingratiated himself in that way and just kept getting better and our guys just continued to appreciate it."

cut.jpg

Beckett Hendrickson, Fourth Round (124th Overall)

Last Team: U.S National Under-18 Team

Position: Forward

Height: 6 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 174 pounds

Birthday: June 24, 2005

Hometown: Minnetonka, Minnesota

Central Scouting Rank: 67th (North American Skaters)

Miscellaneous:

• Played 52 games with the U.S National Under-18 Team last season, collecting 13 goals and 21 assists for 34 points
  • In another 21 games with the USNTDP Juniors of the USHL, he picked up seven goals and nine assists for 16 points
  • Committed to the University of Minnesota for the 2024-25 season

cut.jpg

The 6-foot-1, 174-pound forward is following in his father Darby Hendrickon's footsteps by committing to the University of Minnesota. Darby played two years for Minnesota from 1991-93 before going on to play 11 years in the NHL, including four with the Minnesota Wild, for whom he has served as an assistant coach for the past 12 seasons.

"It's just so special to have him and I think he's done a really good job of putting no pressure on me," said Hendrickson. "I'm just really fortunate to have him as a father."

Growing up around the NHL locker room came with some perks for the younger Hendrickson, as he was able to see what it took to be an NHL player. Hendrickson added that he has played against Bruins prospects Mason Langenbrunner and Cole Spicer over the years and worked out at times with former B's first-rounder Johnny Beecher at the USNTDP. He is also a family friend of Providence blue liner Mike Reilly.

"I got to know Matt Boldy a little bit growing up and I know he's a young player," Hendrickson said of the Milford, Massachusetts native, who was drafted by the Wild in 2019. "But you grow up around guys like Mikko Koivu and those kind of guys, and you just kind of see how they are off the ice and how they take the time to go and talk to you and stuff…it's just so special to have my dad and I was very lucky to grow up going in the locker room."

Having a former NHLer and current coach as a dad also came in handy during the COVID-19 pandemic. With gyms and rinks closed, Hendrickson and his father would run sprints at the high school in town, saying that helped him stay in shape, as long as it wasn't too early in the morning.

"He works out at like 6 a.m. every morning and he tries to get me up sometimes, but that's a little too early for me," Hendrickson said with a smile.

Although a Wild fan at heart, Hendrickson is proud to be shifting allegiances.

"It's an honor," said Hendrickson, who added that he had a strong interview with the Bruins at the NHL Scouting Combine earlier this month. "I mean, you're just sitting there with your family and friends and there is just so much going through your mind and when it finally comes…I honestly have no words for it, it's just such an honor I'm so excited and I just couldn't be happier to join the organization.

"I think they are a class act organization and just walking out of [the Combine], I thought it was a really good interview. And I think that for me, personally, I just try to be myself in all interviews and I think I did a really good job at that.

"I try to bring some personality to them and stuff like that. So, I think it was a good interview."

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney said that Hendrickson's "work ethic and high motor" stood out as the Minnesota native's calling cards.

"The details of the game, the respect for the game, being the lifelong…I guess the son of a former NHL player and a coach, and he went through some challenges personally with the loss of a close friend, he spoke about that," said Sweeney. "[He] has empathy which I appreciate, along with a really strong work ethic.

"He had a little injury that might have affected a little bit of an opportunity for production, but sometimes at the Development Program guys get slotted in a bit. Let's be honest, the high-end side of that, the top two lines there are pretty skilled, but he's got a lot of details in his game that we appreciate.

"We even spoke about it at the Combine, it's things that his dad just reinforces that you have to have, and Darby was that way, so that resonated with us." 

Ryan Walsh, Sixth Round (188th Overall)

Last Team: Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)

Position: Center

Height: 6 feet, 1 inch

Weight: 181 pounds

Shoots: Right

Birthday: August 25, 2003

Hometown: Rochester, New York

Miscellaneous:

• Played 61 games with Cedar Rapids last season, notching 30 goals and 49 assists for 79 points
  • Had 39 points (16 goals, 23 assists) for Salisbury School (Connecticut) in 2021-22
  • Committed to Cornell University for the 2023-24 season

"This whole experience right now has been an absolute dream come true," said Walsh, who added he had strong and consistent communication with the Bruins and scout Jeff Barratt throughout the draft process. "I mean if you're looking at the Bruins, the history behind Boston and the team and everything is unbelievable. So, to be drafted by them is really an honor.

"There's a lot of emotions going through my mind right now, but all excitement and I'm really looking forward to getting to meet [everyone] and get going with the staff there."

While Walsh may not be the fastest on the ice, the 19-year-old is always going to try to make the right play and be poised with the puck. He likes to model his game after long-time NHL center Joe Pavelski.

"I think we have a very similar game," said Walsh. "He has good eyes for the puck, he has hockey awareness, he's a good passer. I also like to get to the dirty areas. He's a very good passer, one of the best in the league and I take pride in my passing, so that's also one of the aspects. He has great vision of the ice. That's a guy that I've always modeled myself after.

"I'm a playmaker, I have good IQ, that's one of my main assets and I'm a good passer. So, I'm definitely a playmaker. I'm not afraid to shoot the puck. If the opportunity is there, I'm definitely letting a shot go, but definitely like to set up other teammates and make the right pass.

"And I'm a 200-foot player, I take pride in faceoffs, and I'm very defensively sound in the D-zone. That's something I take pride in is you have to have good defense to create good offense."

As such, Walsh has made sure to look up to Bruins captain Patrice Bergeron as well.

"Oh, absolutely," said Walsh. "Look, he just won best defensive forward of the year, so that's definitely something I model my game after…definitely a big appreciation for him and he's won it four, five, six times now, I don't even know what it is.

"It's pretty crazy how consistent he is and if you look at the success that [the Bruins] just had, setting franchise records and everything like that, he's a big part of that. So, that's just another thing that proves that good defense leads to good offense."

In terms of things Walsh wants to improve on, he is starting with his skating. "I definitely started working on my skating a lot, definitely needs some improvements still, but that's one of my big points of emphasis," said Walsh. "There are always things to improve on, there's always someone better than you in every category. I've worked a lot on my shot, that's a big one as well."

Walsh will get the chance to build his game this fall when he takes the step to college hockey to join Cornell.

"I think one of the things I wanted to work on this year was my patience with the puck, just not throwing the puck away," said Walsh. "So, that was one of my main emphasis this year, just holding onto pucks, cutting back…I think I made big improvements there."

Sweeney said that the Bruins' area scouts were pleased with Walsh's choice to continue on to college hockey.

"Yeah, again, a little bit of a longer trajectory there, the area guys really feel strongly about his path," said Sweeney. "He's going to go to Cornell next year and, probably, as a young player make an impact there and to see the progression he made in one year in [the USHL], that speaks to us."

cut.jpg

Casper Nassen, Seventh Round (214th Overall)

Last Team: Vasteras IK J20

Position: Forward 

Height: 6 feet, 4 inches

Weight: 205 pounds

Shoots: Right

Birthday: April 11, 2004

Hometown: NorrtaljeSweden

Central Scouting Rank: 138th (European Skaters)

Miscellaneous:

• Played 48 games last season with Vasteras IK J20 where he earned 23 goals and 17 assists for 40 points
  • Committed to Miami University and will join the Red Hawks for the 2024-25 season

"You look at Nassan and the size and the shooting ability and just have to continue to apply the resources for him, so he continues to move along with his development," said Sweeney.

Kristian Kostadinski, Seventh Round (220th Overall)

Last Team: Frolunda HC J20

Position: Defense 

Height: 6 feet, 5 inches

Weight: 214 pounds

Birthday: May 20, 2005

Hometown: Goteborg, Sweden

Central Scouting Rank: 62nd (European Skaters)

Miscellaneous:

• Played 43 games with Frolunda HC J20 where he earned two goals and eight assists for 10 points
  • Played five games for Team Sweden at the 2023 U18 World Junior Championships

"Kostadinski did play on the national scene, so he was seen by a lot of cross over people," said Sweeney. "Size is a thing that stands out, competitiveness. [European Scouting Coordinator P.J Axelsson] and [European scout Victor Nybladh] and our Swedish guys spending time with him, realizing that he knows that he has deficiencies and he's willing to work on them, and he has a great work ethic, so excited about it."

•  
Edited by Brewin Flames