Blackhawks Owner W. Rockwell "Rocky" Wirtz, Son of Bill Wirtz, and Grandson of Arthur Wirtz, Passes Away

NHL HHOF

Arthur Wirtz was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Builders category in 1971, and Bill Wirtz was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Builders category in 1976.

Wirtz, Blackhawks owner, dies at 70

Chicago won Stanley Cup 3 times after he inherited franchise in 2007

https://www.nhl.com/news/chicago-blackhawks-owner-rocky-wirtz-dies-at-70/c-345438864

W. Rockwell "Rocky" Wirtz, principal owner and chairman of the Chicago Blackhawks, died Tuesday. He was 70 years old.

"The National Hockey League family is deeply saddened by the sudden passing of W. Rockwell 'Rocky' Wirtz," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "Devoted to family and the Chicago Blackhawks, Rocky was a native son of Chicago and an accomplished businessman. Rocky took over control of the Blackhawks in 2007 and almost immediately restored the passion and following of this storied, Original Six franchise.

"Rocky's focus on connecting with the club's fans and improving the team's performance on the ice rekindled Chicago fans' love affair with their hockey team and build a modern dynasty.

"On a personal level, Rocky was a dear friend whose counsel I consistently sought. He was a highly respected member of the Executive Committee of the League's Board of Governors whose wisdom and camaraderie were valued by his fellow owners.

"The NHL sends its sincere condolences to Rocky's wife, Marilyn; his children Danny, Kendall and Hillary; Marilyn's daughter, Elizabeth; and their six grandchildren. He will be missed greatly."

Born Oct. 5, 1952, Wirtz was the grandson of Arthur Wirtz, who bought a stake in the Blackhawks in 1950 and acquired outright ownership of them in 1966. His father, Bill, owned the team from 1983-2007, when Rocky inherited it in 2007, after Bill Wirtz's death.

During Rocky Wirtz's tenure, Chicago won the Stanley Cup three times (2010, 2013, 2015). In 2007, the Blackhawks made a deal with Comcast SportsNet Chicago (now NBC Sports Chicago) to televise home games, something that wasn't done during Bill Wirtz's tenure unless it was nationally televised.

Wirtz helped mend relationships that were frayed between former players and his father, welcoming back several Hockey Hall of Fame players as ambassadors: forwards Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita in December 2007, goaltender Tony Esposito in February 2008 and forward Denis Savard in November 2008.

"Our hearts are very heavy today," Rocky's son, Blackhawks chief executive officer Danny Wirtz said in a statement. "Our dad was a passionate businessman committed to making Chicago a great place to live, work and visit, but his true love was for his family and close friends.

"He was a loving father, a devoted husband to Marilyn, a brother, a nephew, an uncle and a doting grandfather to his six remarkable grandchildren. His passing leaves a huge hole in the hearts of many and we will miss him terribly."

Wirtz was a member of the NHL's executive and audit/finance committees and had also led the family's beverage business since 1980. He was co-owner of the United Center with Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

Wirtz's generosity, support gave Blackhawks family feel, Olczyk says

Chicago owner, who died Tuesday, remembered for 'always doing things for others without limelight'

https://www.nhl.com/news/rocky-wirtzs-generosity-support-gave-chicago-blackhawks-family-feel-says-eddie-olczyk/c-345444908?tid=277548856

Eddie Olczyk had just announced his diagnosis with stage 3 colon cancer in August 2007 when his phone rang.

"Rocky called me right away and just said, 'Hey, whatever you need, you've got it.' He would check on me often and that's something I'll never forget," Olczyk said Wednesday.

Rocky was W. Rockwell "Rocky" Wirtz, the principal owner and chairman of the Chicago Blackhawks since 2007, who died Tuesday at age 70.

"It was the (whole) organization, for sure," Olczyk said. "I learned from that experience, if the shoe was on the foot of myself, I would handle that situation for someone else the same way because they made me feel at peace. They were there to extend any help to me or my family and that meant the world. It just made me feel good and let me concentrate on trying to get better and healthy."

Olczyk, who had played for the Blackhawks and at the time was a television analyst, announced that was he cancer-free in the first intermission of the Blackhawks' 5-2 loss to the Vancouver Canucks on March 22, 2018.

It was one of many examples Olczyk had of Wirtz's generosity and impact on the Blackhawks organization.

Born Oct. 5, 1952, Wirtz was the grandson of Arthur Wirtz, who bought a stake in the Blackhawks in 1950 and acquired outright ownership of them in 1966. Rocky's father, Bill, owned the team from 1983-2007. When Bill Wirtz died in 2007, Rocky inherited it.

"It's just a very tough time, a very sad day and I feel for his wife, Marilyn, and obviously Danny (Wirtz, Rocky's son and Blackhawks CEO) and the kids and the family and entire organization," Olczyk said.

Olczyk, chosen by the Blackhawks with the No. 3 in the 1984 NHL Draft, played for Chicago from 1984-87 and from 1998-2000. Olczyk was a television analyst for the Blackhawks from 2006-22 before joining the Seattle Kraken in a similar role last season.

"I'll just remember him for always reaching out, always doing things for others without limelight or cameras or microphones or pictures and just always willing to have conversation and dictate the conversation to what was going on in my life or my family's life," Olczyk said.

"My dad was in the grocery store business for 1,000 years and obviously the Wirtz family and Rocky and the (Wirtz) beverage business, there was always a tie there. Any time my dad would see Rocky, they would be talking about that world."

During Rocky Wirtz's tenure, the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2010, 2013 and 2015. In 2007, the Blackhawks reached a deal with Comcast SportsNet Chicago (now NBC Sports Chicago) to televise home games, something that wasn't done during Bill Wirtz's tenure unless the game was nationally televised.

Olczyk already was working on Blackhawks broadcasts during the 2006-07 season when Rocky Wirtz negotiated the local television deal. In 2008, Olczyk was joined in the TV booth by play-by-play man Pat Foley, who was brought back after being fired two years prior.

"The on-the-ice carries the off-the-ice, but (Rocky) knew how important it was to brand and to have that three-hour commercial for 82 nights of the regular season," Olczyk said.

The Blackhawks returned to prominence under Rocky Wirtz, and Olczyk was grateful to be there for it.

"It was a renaissance, there's no doubt about it," he said. "To have done it on TV all those years was a great honor and privilege and then you talk about all the great players and coaches and obviously the winning ties it all up. Rocky was the leader, and it was just great to work for him and under him but to know him was even better and that was very important."

• 2 weeks later...