Justin Brazeau's 1st NHL Goal 2/19/24

• 1 month later...

BOSTON — At some point presumably Pat Maroon will be healthy enough to play for the Bruins. Until that point, Justin Brazeau has a head start.

It’s possible Jim Montgomery will find a lineup that can have both Brazeau and Maroon in it. But realistically both the veteran with three Stanley Cups who the Bruins acquired at the trade deadline and the rookie with 11 career games are both, big-bodied grinder fourth-line right wings. They’re too slow to play together and neither is likely to push James van Riemsdyk or Trent Frederic out of the lineup.

Maroon is officially week-to-week after back surgery. There’s no timetable for his return.

Brazeau, 26, who battled his way from undrafted player through 264 minor league games in the ECHL and the AHL, has been a terrific story for the Bruins. But he’s playing every day trying to build a body of work and trust from the coaching staff that could help him keep his job whenever Maroon does return.

“For me, every game is a tryout,” Brazeau said. “I’ve got to keep playing the right way, doing the right things to hopefully earn another game.”

Tuesday’s effort was likely to help. On a team that sometimes doesn’t shoot enough, the 6-foot-5, 245-pound rookie took six shots and two of them went in on the power play.

“I’m getting more confidence every game I play,” he said. “The game slows down when you get that confidence and you can make more plays with pucks.”

Brazeau has provided the Bruins with a physical presence they’d been lacking. In 13 games, he’s got three goals, an assist and is +3. Boston coach Jim Montgomery compared his style to a Hall of Famer

“I remember in training camp saying he’s a poor man’s Dave Andreychuk,” Montgomery said. “He seems to get to every puck below the goal line and make subtle, smart plays and he has a nice touch. I’m glad he got rewarded. He’s been playing a lot better than his stats are showing. We’re really happy with how well he’s playing in all three zones.

He’s been very consistent,” Montgomery continued. “There was only one game where I was not happy with his play to the standard that he’s shown us.”

The only guy to score more than Brazeau did on Tuesday was impressed.

“He’s been playing unbelievable since he got up here. He’s strong on the puck. He makes great plays,” said David Pastrnak, who scored three goals vs. Ottawa. “He’s obviously a big body. It’s hard to take the puck way from him. On the (power play) he’s hard around the net and he keeps getting rewarded.”