2021 Entry 77 3 Cole Huckins C Acadie-Bathurst Titan [QMJHL]          
2021 Entry 89 3 Cameron Whynot D Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL]          
2021 Entry 141 5 Cole Jordan D Moose Jaw Warriors [WHL]          
2021 Entry 168 6 Jack Beck R Ottawa 67's [OHL]          
2021 Entry 173 6 Lucas Ciona L Seattle Thunderbirds [WHL]          
2021 Entry 205 7 Arseni Sergeev G Shreveport Mudbugs [NAHL]

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Good Post 1

Defensive depth in the organization has gone thin the last few seasons, so reloading the back end is a must...

I don't think Luke Hughes drops down to # 12 so....

My pick is Carson Lambos, Scotty Morrow or Danil Chayka....i'd be happy with any of the 3

Flames select right-winger Coronato 13th overall in NHL entry draft

Forward Matthew Coronato is the newest member of the Calgary Flames after the team picked him 13th overall in the NHL entry draft Friday.

CALGARY — The Calgary Flames newest prospect is a bit of an animal — a bison, in fact.

Matthew Coronato said he earned the nickname "The Bison" from the announcer and hockey operations staff during his time with the USHL's Chicago Steel.

"I'm not exactly sure how they came up with it," said Coronato, who was picked 13th overall by the Flames in the NHL entry draft Friday. "Because I go to the net hard and ram like the bison is what they said. I don't have the exact explanation, but it was funny, it was entertaining."

Coming into the draft, Coronato, a five-foot-10, 183-pound right-winger was the No. 9-ranked North American skater. He led the USHL with 48 goals last season.

Flames general manager Brad Treliving said he likes the way Coronato scores his goals.

"The motor that he has, the ability to go into hard areas, sort of out will people, create chances for himself and his teammates," he said. "Just a skill package for us that's based in a high-end compete. It's just a hard-working kid that's driven to succeed. So really like the player and we're excited to select him."

Coronato has committed to playing for Harvard next season but said he isn't set on finishing four years at the Ivy League university.

“I want to play in the NHL, I want to play for the Flames," he said.

With the draft being held virtually for the second year in a row, Treliving made the announcement via video stream from the Saddledome in Calgary.

Calgary was handed the No. 13 pick after finishing the year out of the playoffs with a 26-27-3 record. The Flames' season was punctuated by a coaching change in early March when Darryl Sutter replaced Geoff Ward as bench boss.

The club will have six picks to go when the draft resumes with the second round on Saturday, including No. 45, 77, 84, 141, 173 and 205.

Calgary made some moves before making its first pick in the 2020 draft, dropping from 19th spot down to 24th before selecting centre Connor Zary.

Zary played an shortened season with the Western Hockey League's Kamloops Blazers this year and put up 24 points (six goals, 18 assists) in 15 games.

• Good Post 1

Flames’ first rounder Coronato looking to emulate Calgary native Point

The Flames selected right-winger Matthew Coronato No. 13 overall in Friday’s NHL entry draft because of his strong work ethic, ability to play a 200-foot game and goal-scoring prowess. Salim Valji has more from Calgary.

•  

The Jolly Rancher has himself a bison.

With their first-round pick in the 2021 NHL entry draft on Friday evening, the Calgary Flames selected Harvard-bound, Chicago Steel (USHL) star Matthew Coronato, who was nicknamed “The Bison” by Steel public address announcers.

“They say it’s cause I go to the net hard and ram like a bison,” the five-foot-10, 183-pound right-winger told reporters after he was picked No. 13 overall.

“It was funny and entertaining.”

Coronato led the USHL with 48 goals in 51 games and was an integral part of the Steel’s Clark Cup title. Despite those gaudy stats, Coronato takes pride in other elements of his game. The New York native finished No. 9 on NHL Central Scouting's list of North American skaters.

“Something that I’m proud of in my game is the ability to play 200 feet,” he said. 

“I think I’m competitive in all three zones and contribute in all three zones. I think my work ethic might be my biggest asset.”

That style of play should endear Coronato to Flames head coach Darryl Sutter, whose own nickname is The Jolly Rancher, and fans at the Saddledome.

“He’s a right shot, plays multiple positions,” general manager Brad Treliving said.

“This guy is unique in his ability to score. To us, you add a goal scorer with a motor, a hungry player, really intelligent. He’s not a perimeter guy or a guy who cheats to score. He’s a really well-rounded player, which is unique for someone with his finishing skill.”

Treliving’s research into Coronato revealed other details.

“There’s a lot of background homework,” he said.

“It kept coming back how popular of a teammate he was. It’s not just a popularity contest. He leads by the way he’s in the gym. He’s a rink rat. He’s there first, he stays late.”

Coronato felt comfortable with the organization in the pre-draft process.

“I definitely loved talking to the Flames before the draft,” Coronato said. 

“Their whole staff was really nice. I enjoyed my interviews with them. I did have a sense that they liked me.”

Beyond his style of play, Coronato may also win Flames fans over by who he patterns his game after.

“My favourite guy to watch in the NHL right now is [Calgary native and Tampa Bay Lightning centre] Brayden Point,” he said. 

“He’s a really talented player. He has a lot of skill and plays 200 feet and is really smart.”

Before he suits up for the Flames, Coronato will head to Cambridge, Mass., to play for the Harvard Crimson for at least next season.

It’s tough to blame Calgary fans for wincing at that notion, as ghosts of Adam Fox still haunt the franchise. 

Fox was originally drafted by the Flames in 2016 and also Harvard-bound. He ultimately refused to sign with Calgary and was dealt to Carolina as part of the 2018 trade that brought Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin to the Flames. Fox was then traded to the New York Rangers, his preferred choice, and just won the Norris Trophy as a sophomore.

“I’m sure there’s some sort of narrative with the situation we had previously with a player that was drafted and chose not to come here,” Treliving said.

“At the end of the day, you take the best player and we did a lot of homework with Matt.”

Early in his media avail on Friday night, Coronato quelled any fears Flames fans may have about history repeating itself.

“I don’t have a set plan to stay for four years [at Harvard] at all,” he said. 

“I want to play in the NHL and I want to play for the Flames.”