2022 - 2023 Line Combos...?

thegx.ca

An article at The Score has the forward lines looking like this:

Huberdeau/Lindholm/Mangeapanne

Coleman/Kadri/Toffoli

Pelletier/Backlund/Dube

Lucic/Rooney/Lewis

I'm thinking Sutter likes to have 2 centres on each line for faceoffs etc so more can be done with all the versatile centres we got by either letting Dube or Coleman centre their own lines...and Sutter likes to have 4 lines getting around the same ice time...

The goalies and defence are pretty much set not including what to allow for injuries:

Markstrom/Vladar

Tanev/Kylington

Anderson/Hannifin

Zadorov/Weegar

So for forwards I'm thinking Toffoli has to go with Lindholm and Huberdeau oh the first line since Toffoli is an exceptional scorer and Sutter loves him...that leaves the other lines to mix up a bit and maybe get set say more evenly especially on the road where Sutter stated before he doesn't bother with line matching...so maybe:

Huberdeau/Lindholm/Toffoli

Coleman/Backlund/Lewis

Dube/Kadri/Mangepanne

Lucic/Rooney/?Schwidt?Jones?Bishop?

I hope Sutter will try Dube/Mangepanne together again since they seemed to do good together especially since they're both fast and having Kadri centre them makes a speedy line...that's makes the Coleman/Backland/Lewis line the main shutdown line and the Rooney/Lucic line getting maybe Schiwidt since he shoots right or either Jones/Bishop/etc last year this would be Ritchie/Richardson alternating...

With this setup only the Kadri line has no right shooting players but the speed of this line is why I'd put them together...Treliving went after Schwidt for a reason even commenting that Schwidt wasn't just a throw in that Calgary wanted Schwidt for a long time so I think Schwidt will get a closer look to see if his right hand shot can fit in soon...Calgary has only a handful of right shooting forwards and only one real right winger in Toffoli so apart from Toffoli the right forward side isn't a scoring threat...but hopefully that's where the speedy Kadri line will make up for it...

Most likely Bishop will get the fourth line rotating spot since he has most experience out of the new young guys but I guess we'll see what Stockton had to offer for offensive forwards since Bishop/Jones are more defensive forwards...personally I'd want Ritchie back in this spot since he wasn't too bad last year and can fight.

On defence there are no spots available but for the rotating spot Meloche/Gilbert look big and tough and play the same tough style that Gudbrandson plays...but of course aren't close to Gudbrandson toughness since Gudbrandson is probably the toughest defenseman after Charov...

• 4 weeks later...

Including PTOs for Michael Stone and Cody Eakin too means that most of the younger non-NHLers will be going back down to the farm and Stone and Eakin will be the odds ones in the rotation...still looking solid throughout up and down this lineup😁

Ritchie got injured so that opens a spot to try a new guy...also Mangepanne skated with Kadri so hopefully they do end up together...so far Coleman/Backlund are paired together too...Sutter does like to keep certain pairs together...

Edited by Villella McMeans

• 2 weeks later...

Well since Milano and Eakin got cut the lines on opening night are:

Dube/Kadri/Mangiapane

Coleman/Backlund/Lewis

Lucic/Ruzicka/Ritchie

Rooney rotating in/out with Ruzicka/Ritchie

Weegar/Tanev

Andersson/Hanifin

Zadorov/Mackey

Meloche/Stone rotating with Mackey

Too bad Milano and Eakin didn't work out because either one of them seems to be an upgrade on Ruzicka and Ritchie...

Also Valimaki was claimed off waivers by Arizona...with each year Valimaki looked more and more like a drug addict just the bags under his eyes and pale skinny face for such a big guy...who knows but he never looked healthy to me...

• Like 1

Opening night line up:

Dube/Kadri/Mangiapane

Coleman/Backlund/Lewis

Lucic/Rooney/Ritchie

Weegar/Tanev

Andersson/Hanifin

Zadorov/Stone

Markstrom/Vladr

Ruzicka/Macky/Meloche not dressed.

🍻

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dube/Kadri/Mangiapane

Coleman/Backlund/Lewis

Lucic/Rooney/Ritchie

Weegar/Tanev

Andersson/Hanifin

Zadorov/Stone

---

That was opening night lines above...

And this was yesterday:

Ruzicka/Lindholm/Toffoli

Dube/Kadri/Coleman 

Mangiapane/Backlund/Lewis

Lucic/Rooney/Ritchie

Zadorov/Weegar

Andersson/Hanifin

DeSimone/Gilbert 

---

Gotta say I like the rookie defend pair of DeSimone/Gilbert they with good together and they're already best friends too.

The forward lines make no sence and sure just be put back to what they were opening night...

These were the forward practice lines Sunday:

Ruzicka/Lindholm/Toffoli

Lucic/Kadri/Mangiapane 

Huberdeau/Backlund/Lewis

Dube/Coleman/Ritchie

---

This setup I could live with...since defence is a harder skill to master than offence...all 4 lines look more dangerous than ever offensively and defensively...all lines look more balanced and none are really a first line anymore all are what they wanted last year more parity in the lines...this forward setup is deeper than on opening night and Ruzicka is interchangeable with Rooney or whoever else they bring up...

I got good feeling about next few games time for a winning streak🔥🔥🔥

Lines for the 5-4 shootout win in Florida:

Ruzicka/Lindholm/Toffoli

Dube/Kadri/Mangiapane 

Huberdeau/Backlund/Coleman

Lucic/Lewis/Ritchie

Andersson/Hanifin

Zadorov/Weegar

Gilbert/Tanev

These lines I can live with...not just because they won but the defence pairings are better with Tanev helping the new guy Gilbert get settled...

Also Dube and Mangiapane should stay with Kadri and Huberdeau with Backlund...Coleman there is better I think...I like the fourth line like that too...I still can't get used to Ruzicka on top line even though he lighting it up haha...

Rooney in for Ritchie last game...

So lines for Washington win was:

Dube/Kadri/Mangiapane 

Ruzicka/Backlund/Coleman

Lucic/Rooney/Lewis

Hanifin/Andersson 

Weegar/Tanev 

Zadorov/Stone

🍻

Ritchie back in for Rooney for the Minnesota win...probably Sutter wanted more size against a team with Foligno and Reaves...but didn't matter since they all too scared to take on the heavyweight champ anyways...RIGHT LOOCH...? Ahaha😄