Jordan Staal signs 4-year, $11.6 million contract to stay with Hurricanes

NHL HHOF

cut.jpg

Staal signs 4-year, $11.6 million contract to stay with Hurricanes

Captain gets $2.9 million annually, ranks 4th in Carolina's history in games played

https://www.nhl.com/news/jordan-staal-signs-deal-to-stay-with-carolina/c-345001370

Jordan Staal signed a four-year, $11.6 million contract to remain with the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday. It has an average annual value of $2.9 million.

The 34-year-old center, who could have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, had 34 points (17 goals, 17 assists) in 81 regular-season games this season, and eight points (two goals, six assists) in 15 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

"Obviously, it's where I wanted to be," Staal said. "I feel like I've got some unfinished business, and I'm just super excited to be part of the organization and this group of guys. It's exactly what I wanted to finish off my career with. It's going to be a lot of fun and a lot of good future memories."

Staal is the longest-tenured member of the Hurricanes, who acquired him in a trade with the Pittsburgh Penguins on June 22, 2012, and has been their captain since Sept. 29, 2019. He ranks fourth in Carolina/Hartford Whalers history in games played (742) and is eighth in points (397).

"We've got a great team with a lot of great young players," Staal said. "I've watched them grow up and become stars. It's been fun to be a part of that. I'm very proud and honored they want to bring me back for a few more years, and I'm excited about being a part of it."

Selected by Pittsburgh with the No. 2 pick in the 2006 NHL Draft, Staal has 645 points (275 goals, 370 assists) in 1,173 regular-season games for the Penguins and Hurricanes. He also has 68 points (35 goals, 33 assists) in 136 playoff games, including winning the Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 2009.

"Jordan embodies what it means to be a Hurricane," Carolina general manager Don Waddell said. "His leadership has been an integral part of our success, and the impact he has made on our organization cannot be overstated. We could not be more excited to sign him for four more years."

• 3 months later...