Goaltender coach Dillabough up for trade?

Kim_Dillabaugh3057-e1406153351286.jpg

Elliot Freeman has some interesting comments towards goalie coach vacancies with the Flyers and Leafs.  I think his comment which I highlighted is interesting as I can envision a trade of Mike Richards to the Leafs as part of payment.  The only trade I see the Flyers involved with the Kings is for Voynov, in a trade of defensemen.

11. Two teams with connections to Kim Dillabaugh are believed to want to interview him for their vacant goalie coach position. Dillabaugh oversees goaltender development for the Kings. He’s worked closely with Jonathan Bernier, and for Ron Hextall. Toronto is definitely interested, and Philadelphia is thought to be. The hurdle is at least one team (Carolina) asked to interview him a year ago, and was refused. It is possible Dillabaugh will be given a window after the draft, since the Kings want his expertise on goalies during the selection process. But that is not a guarantee. “Dean Lombardi does not believe in free trade,” one opposing executive laughed.

12. If Dillabaugh is not allowed to go, it will be interesting to see if the Flyers ask instead to speak to Bill Ranford, the Kings’ current coach. More and more teams are doing this “double setup,” with someone at the NHL and another person moving throughout the organization. Dallas is the latest to adopt, as Jeff Reese, formerly of Philadelphia, is expected to be hired. Mike Valley slides to the roving position. Reese will try to resurrect Kari Lehtonen as he did Steve Mason. It doesn’t sound like there’s a ton of interest in the Stars’ No. 1.

13. If Toronto does not get Dillabaugh, there is talk they may also do something different. The Maple Leafs are believed to have interest in Steve Briere, who runs his own goalie schools and coaches a few different teams in U.S. junior leagues. He is part of the Mitch Korn teaching tree. It’s also thought they are looking at WHL Tri-City goalie coach Lyle Mast for a potential consulting role.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-defencemen-a-hot-commodity-at-draft/

Archived