Goalkeeper Penalty in Restricted area

timelydew

Hey, so I was replying to a post on Reddit about penalties on goalkeepers in the restricted area a day ago, and the reply to my reply, was this:

First, my quote, which was a small part of my reply: "However, if he makes a save, and of his own volition skates into the area to cover or smother it, yes, it's a penalty. He can't wander in there and touch the puck just because he made a save."

The Response: "There is an implicit exception to this, which would be if the momentum of making a save happened to carry him into the restricted area. It's uncommon, but if you imagine a rush with a pass that goes across the slot for a weak-side, low-angle tap-in, the goalie might have sufficient momentum to make the save and control the puck (whether caught, held to the body, or just caught up in the gear) and slide right past the post and into the restricted area. If the goalie was bobbling the puck, or it happened to pop out for a split second, he would in theory be allowed to cover it 'in the course of making the save'. As I'm describing this, I'm almost positive I've seen it happen. The tipping point would be if the goalie decided, having slid into the restricted area while making a save, to then drop the puck and play it. That would be a penalty; going into the restricted area in the course of making a save would not."

Simply, is this accurate, or no? I believe it to be, and agreed with him/her in my response, but I will throw it out to the masses for some feedback. It sounds perfectly logical and fits in with the spirit of the rule, since the goalie doesn't "play" the puck - rather, it's in the course of making a save, as this person said. Correct? Asking for my own edification.

Archived