SPLIT: Nashville's Off Season Plans

Well, I missed a bunch of time here over the last week or two, surgery and then my Anniversary (what idiot gets married on FA day?)... 

My thoughts...

Nick Bonino - Put up good stats in a 3C role with the Penguins, everything on paper suggests he could produce as a 2C, but i'm not a big fan of "on paper". I hope that he surprises everyone and can get into the 45-50 point range as a low-end 2C. I'd prefer if the Preds were able to add a real 2C, drop Bonino down to 3C and move Jarnkrok out to the wing where he could utilize his shot more.

Scott Hartnell - I really don't care what kid of stats he produces, i'm happy to have him back. $1M for a third line winger with the nostalgia factor? I'm all on board! If he scores 15-20 then it's a huge bargain signing. 

Alexi Emelin - Should be a big upgrade on the 3rd pair over Matt Irwin and Anthony Bitetto, might allow Yannick Weber to open up offensively a bit more again since he shouldn't have to worry so much about Irwin getting burned every time down the ice. 

Anders Lindback - Again, I love the nostalgia signing, but I hope Lindback never sniffs the NHL again. Good mentor however to have in Milwaukee to give the young guys (what young guys?) some schooling in what it takes to make it to the big show. 

4 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

Well, I missed a bunch of time here over the last week or two, surgery and then my Anniversary (what idiot gets married on FA day?)... 

My thoughts...

Nick Bonino - Put up good stats in a 3C role with the Penguins, everything on paper suggests he could produce as a 2C, but i'm not a big fan of "on paper". I hope that he surprises everyone and can get into the 45-50 point range as a low-end 2C. I'd prefer if the Preds were able to add a real 2C, drop Bonino down to 3C and move Jarnkrok out to the wing where he could utilize his shot more.

Scott Hartnell - I really don't care what kid of stats he produces, i'm happy to have him back. $1M for a third line winger with the nostalgia factor? I'm all on board! If he scores 15-20 then it's a huge bargain signing. 

Alexi Emelin - Should be a big upgrade on the 3rd pair over Matt Irwin and Anthony Bitetto, might allow Yannick Weber to open up offensively a bit more again since he shouldn't have to worry so much about Irwin getting burned every time down the ice. 

Anders Lindback - Again, I love the nostalgia signing, but I hope Lindback never sniffs the NHL again. Good mentor however to have in Milwaukee to give the young guys (what young guys?) some schooling in what it takes to make it to the big show. 

All decent moves.

Also i think with some more time in the AHL Matt O'Connor whom they signed may bare fruit in the near future.

At least it strengthen the farm in net. I guess Lindback will backup Rinne or is he headed to the AHL???

Lindback is strictly for the AHL, Juuse Saros will be the full time backup per David Poile and that's the way it should be. We really need to keep Rinne down around 50 starts, I think in the first half of the season they will split fairly evenly, it will not only give Rinne some much needed rest, but it will also give us a great chance to see if Saros is everything we think he is and if he's not, then at least we have more time to change direction before Rinne is totally done. 

38 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

Lindback is strictly for the AHL, Juuse Saros will be the full time backup per David Poile and that's the way it should be. We really need to keep Rinne down around 50 starts, I think in the first half of the season they will split fairly evenly, it will not only give Rinne some much needed rest, but it will also give us a great chance to see if Saros is everything we think he is and if he's not, then at least we have more time to change direction before Rinne is totally done. 

Is Fisher coming back?

42 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

We really need to keep Rinne down around 50 starts, I think in the first half of the season they will split fairly evenly, it will not only give Rinne some much needed rest, but it will also give us a great chance to see if Saros is everything we think he is and if he's not, then at least we have more time to change direction before Rinne is totally done. 

Enjoy...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/pekka-rinne-nashville/

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is Fisher coming back?

It seems like he is, but the only thing Poile has said is that he's giving Fisher as much time as he needs and there will be a spot for him if he decides to come back. It would definitely help, he was pretty solid last season and as much as I hate talking about that stuff, he brings the "intangibles" of leadership and celebrity to the team. 

I think if he was going to retire, he wouldn't drag it out. He'd respect Poile's need to make plans and give him as much notice as possible. But you never know.

Archived