Josi named Captain - No "A" for Subban

hf101

Roman Josi has become the Predators 8th captain to the surprise of -- well no one.  Other than it was mentioned by Laviolette that the decision came down between Josi and Ellis.  I think it was the obvious choice.   Ryan Ellis was named the Associate Captain and Mattias Ekholm, Filip Forsberg and  Ryan Johansen all are alternate captains.

Maybe it is me, but this is the first time I've noticed having both Associate Captain and Alternate Captains.   Interesting...  Should Ellis's "A" be larger in size or a different font?  :eyeroll:

And what about not naming P.K. Subban as an Alternate?   Kind of shocking eh?

• hf101 changed the title to Josi named Captain - No "A" for Subban

I'm a day late posting here, I would not have included "No 'A' For Subban" in the title, seems a bit disrespectful to both Subban and also Josi. Subban isn't the story. 

Anyway, Josi absolutely is the correct pick and everyone saw it coming from a mile away. He'll be a great captain, he's already been leading the team through all of the off-season activities and at all team appearances. 

Ryan Ellis, Associate Captain. I assume he's on more equal footing to Josi with that title. He will wear a permanent A and will wear the C in the event that Josi is unable to play in a game, rather than running three A's. He wasn't even in the picture to start last season, but midway through Laviolette made a point to hold a press conference to include Ellis in the leadership group. Honestly if he weren't going to miss half of this season, it's possible (longshot still) that he would have been named captain outright. 

I have no problems with Johansen and Forsberg rotating the 2nd "A", Ekhlolm i'm not as sure about, but obviously there's no way to really know how these guys are on the bench and especially in the locker room. 

The posted tweet doesn't mention that Laviolette also named Pekka Rinne, Nick Bonino and.... P.K. Subban as part of the leadership group. Subban probably should have a letter, I wouldn't even mind if he was the captain. But he does have a certain reputation around the league and probably isn't the most effective player to be trying to lobby the refs on the ice. I'm certain that's why he won't wear a letter and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 100% involved with and in agreement with that decision. P.K. has been nothing short of amazing since becoming a Predator on and off the ice. 

Archived