Gotta say it...

SpikeDDS

Perhaps I was hasty. Other than the 6-3 debacle against the Flames, this team has played some decent hockey. More decent than I thought they would.

Our SO loss to the Jackets was a well-played affair for the most part. Quite honestly it was a game we should have won in OT. Bobrovsky earned th extra point with that ridiculous skate save on the 2 on 0. I was already pouring my victory drink, for crying out loud! Can’t believe Bob stole that from us, but he did.

Having said that, it was a well played game by our squad. Mantha is really starting to establish an every day threat. He is trouble in front, something we just haven’t had since Homer.

Some of the other players like AA are finding their place and establishing their own threats as well. AA seems to manufacture a good chance just about every game. Our PK is a threat to score again.

And thank the Lord in heaven for Jimmy Howard. His game just transmogrified at the beginning of last season, and it has stuck. I wish Petr could get going like that too, but I’ll take one of them over neither any day.

The most interesting part has been Z’s lack of scoring contribution. His contributions have been more defensive and puck battles. It teaches the young players how to win. If you aren’t scoring, at least compete and win battles and move the puck smartly.

Not that we are tearing things up right now. We are not. I’m just starting to see a little bit of a culture change coming with the changing of the guard, and it’s better than I was thinking it would be perhaps. They are just playing better hockey, and even though they may not have enough talent to win every night, if they compete, that’s all I can ask, right now. Yes, finishing that OT opportunity would be nice also. Wins are better. But I will take this.

It sure beats the almost unwatchable hockey we saw last season. By a good bit, too. 

Archived