The Timing of Young Call-Ups

SpikeDDS

Some teams call up young talent earlier than others. I think the Detroit Red Wings fall toward the later side of the spectrum, waiting longer to call up young talent and trying to get them NHL-ready before they do. I will agree that that is certainly the safer way to play it.

However, it is also very helpful for younger players to learn how to be good pros and great players from great veteran players. On the Detroit Red Wings, that list has become pretty short. Zetterberg pretty much IS their list.

So on the one hand, it might be a good idea to let Rasmussen develop in GR next season. However, looking at Larkin’s progression, I think he has learned A TON from watching Z play and work on/off the ice. Z is modeling how to be a great 2-way player, and not just a speedster, and it has elevated Larkin’s game. I would think that seeing it modeled firsthand would be fantastic for Rasmussen.

But Z’s years remaining are numbered. Opportunity to learn from the best isn’t going to last much longer. And I’m thinking that it might be time to pull the trigger on bringing up Raz before Z retires. He is tearing it up in the WHL. He needs to adapt his game to the NHL and work his game within a 2-way system, even if he may not need to be quite as much a two-way player as they are shaping Larkin to be.

Agree or disagree?

Archived