Game 1: Predictable

SpikeDDS

Thoughts after watching game 1:

1. I expected the Wings to look like they hadn't played in 310 days. They did.

2. I expected the Wings to get outplayed by a much better opponent. They did.

3. I expected the Wings to have a high likelihood of getting shut out especially if they fell behind early. They did.

4. I expected Thomas Greiss to play a solid game. He played a VERY good game. Stopped 40 of 42. He is the main reason this game was even watchable for as long as it was.

5. I expected our offense to struggle to score. They did.

6. I expected them to look more fatigued as the game went on. They did. The third period was uglier than the first two.

7. I expected the Wings to lose the battle of the special teams. They did.

8. I expected the Wings to get outshot by Carolina. They did. And then some.

9. I expected to miss having fans in the stands at LCA. I did. It's just not the same.

10. I expected the 'Canes D to limit us. I thought they played a great game, limiting opportunities in their defensive zone.

11. I expected us to have difficulty getting out of our own zone with possession. We certainly did! I don't know what the differential was O zone vs. D zone, but it was ugly.

Things I didn't expect:

1. I did not expect Dylan Larkin's first game as captain of the Red Wings to be a stinker for him personally. It was not a good game for him. His turnover led to the game-winning goal. His penalty in the third basically ended any hopes of tying that game up.

2. I did not expect Bromé to have as good a game as he had. He impressed me. He completely undressed a 'Cane defender before clanking a great shot off of the crossbar. Our best chance of the night.

3. I did not expect us to stay as close on the scoreboard as we did. We kept the score close for most of the game despite an almost 1:4 shot differential.

4. I did not expect the poor performance to mean as little to me as it does. I was just SO glad to watch a Red Wing hockey game live again.

5. I did not expect our power play to look very good. It didn't.

6. I didn't realize how much bigger the 'Canes are than our players. We looked like boys playing with men, size-wise.

7. I did not expect Gagner to win that fight, and although he didn't win it by much, he somehow managed to pull it off despite what looked like about a 6-inch deficit in reach.

8. I did not expect our D to play as solid as they did. They limited chances, especially in the first two periods before fatigue opened the game up a bit in the third.

I expected a loss. I got what I expected.

But I can't remember watching a loss like this and still look forward to the next game as much as this game. Red Wing hockey is back, and despite its predictability, I have missed it so!

LGRW!