NHL Trade Talk: May 11, 2014
Does Toronto Management want Phaneuf Gone?
- With the hiring of Brendan Shanahan as President in Toronto, many expect changes this summer. It has been widely speculated that center Nazem Kadri , defensemen Carl Gunnarsson, Cody Franson, and Jake Gardiner could be trade bait this summer. Well add captain Dion Phaneuf to the list. Just one year after signing a seven year, $49 million dollar contract. The Leafs are currently shopping him. This report came from Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet. With all this going on, you still can’t forget about what they will do with goaltender James Reimer. It should be a very interesting off-season.
What is Next for San Jose?
- With another disappointing playoff failure haunting them. Many in San Jose wonder what will happen next. Wholesale changes, or keep the ship going with minor tweeks. The Sharks management said immediately after the playoff catastrophe against the Kings that they would take time to reflect on the team, and then make a determination on what method is the best. They did not want to make any knee jerk reactions to the loss. The two players that are rumored to be on the move include Joe Thornton, and Antti Niemi. Many are disappointed in Thornton’s playoff point totals over the years. He scores points at will during the regular season, but stumbles in the playoffs. As for Niemi, it just seems that no one is confident that he is a goalie that is capable of winning another Stanley Cup. The nuculas is good in San Jose and young talent such as Thomas Hertl really give the Sharks a chance again next season.
- Ryan Miller is rumored to be heading out to San Jose or possibly even Toronto. Time will tell on this one, but I do not see him signing in St. Louis
- Jaroslav Halak will get a deal done with the New York Islanders, and will have a solid year with them : Little Prediction>>
- Vincent Lecavalier is rumored to be on the move to Nashville, sounds crazy? Well Predators new coach Peter Laviolette was a huge part in bringing Lecavalier to Philadelphia, and he may just go after him again.
- Michael Cammalleri may just be staying in Calgary. Signs started to show this late in the season, but many just kept saying he refused the Flames late season contract offer. Well that offer is still on the table, and with the recent changes in Calgary, maybe it is not such a bad place for him to stay.