10 Bold Predictions for the 2015-2016 NHL Season
- Eric Staal will remain in Carolina at season end. The Hurricanes will resign the power forward to a contract extension. Many people think that he will be the big fish at Trade Deadline, but I think he stays put.
- Neither Connor McDavid nor Jack Eichel will win the Calder Trophy for the top NHL rookie. There are many dark horses such as Sam Bennett in Calgary, Noah Hanifin in Carolina, and Dylan Larkin in Detroit. The pressure is on Eichel and McDavid, but it’s hard to be a successful rookie without a strong team supporting you.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets are poised to be the Calgary Flames of 2016. They will make the playoffs, and make a strong run.
- Big Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara will be plagued with injuries all season, and will be the talk of trade rumors. Difficult year for the aging big man.
- Andrew Hammond and Devan Dubnyk will have a very difficult time repeating last year astonishing success. I will go as far as saying that neither goaltender will be their team’s starter at years end.
- Anze Kopitar and Steven Stamkos will lay down huge contract demands to their teams. The difference is Stamkos will get his money and Kopitar will have to move on to get his money.
- The Colorado Avalanche will relive last years difficult season. The poor success will lead to the firing of head coach Patrick Roy.
- Phil Kessel will light the lamp frequently in Pittsburgh. The Penguins will struggle defensively, but flourish offensively. Sidney Crosby and Kessel will explode this season, and Pittsburgh will again be a playoff factor.
- Evander Kane will move past his off ice issues, and in Buffalo this season he will have a breakout season. His breakout season will be to the tune of 35+ goals.
- Outdoor games will not go as smooth this year. The weather will play a huge negative factor in at least one of the outdoor games. This will be an unfortunate nightmare for the leagues showcase.
* Photo by USAToday Sports Images