Brewin Flames

Game # 74

Bos 3 Blues 2 OT

McAvoy scores in OT, Bruins snap Blues' 9-game win streak

ss_20220419_224215796_1947356_default.jp

Charlie McAvoy fires in OT winner for clutch Bruins win

By AP
Updated: 6 hours ago

ST. LOUIS -- — Charlie McAvoy felt as if the postseason began on Tuesday night.

McAvoy scored 48 seconds into overtime and Jeremy Swayman made 20 saves to help the Boston Bruins beat the St. Louis Blues 3-2.

Jake DeBrusk and Taylor Hall also scored for Boston, which won its second straight after a season-worst three-game losing streak.

The Bruins were coming off a 2-1 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday, and the back-to-back victories give them a much-needed shot of momentum.

“Those are the games that it’s going to be like in the playoffs,” McAvoy said. “So, it’s certainly not bad to be playing those games as we build up.”

Robert Thomas and Pavel Buchnevich scored for St. Louis, which had a nine-game winning streak snapped.

Swayman, who stopped 23 of 24 shots against Pittsburgh, thwarted Jordan Kyrou from close range midway through the final period with the game tied.

“We know that every game is an opportunity to prepare us for the playoffs from here on out ,” Swayman said. “We love (facing) teams that are going to give us that all-out effort, every night and we’re only going to get better from it.”

The Bruins were making their first appearance in St. Louis since a 5-1 win in Game 6 of the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals. The Blues went on to win the crown in seven games.

“We checked very well, limited their chances,” Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. “All in all, I felt we did a good job against a real good hockey team. That’s our game plan. If we play like that, we’re hard to play against.”

Ville Husso made for 32 saves for St. Louis, He had won his previous six starts.

The Blues extended their point streak to 13 successive games, tying a franchise mark set Jan. 3-Feb. 5, 2015.

“They checked us well and didn’t give us much,” St. Louis coach Craig Berube said. “You’ve got to fight for space and this was a good lesson for us.”

Thomas deflected in a backhanded attempt by Vladimir Tarasenko with 2.4 seconds left in the second period to tie it 2-all. Thomas extended his career-best point streak to 14 games. He has seven goals and 19 assists during the streak, which is the longest current run in the NHL.

The Bruins have failed to score in their last 27 power-play attempts.

Hall, the first overall pick in the 2010 draft by Edmonton, deflected a shot from Derek Forbort midway through the second period to break a 1-all tie. It was Hall’s 17th goal of the season and first in eight games.

DeBrusk jammed in a shot from close range just 93 seconds into the second period to tie the game.

The Blues had scored at least four goals in their last 12 games, a franchise record.

“Total team effort, it was great to watch,” Swayman said. “Our guys communicate well, take pride in the defensive zone, blocking shots, making simple plays. It’s stuff we work on, it’s great to see it show up for us.”

DEADLY PAIR

Boston goalies Linus Ullmark, with 23 wins, and Jeremy Swayman, with 22 wins, are the only 20-plus win duo in the NHL this season.

Game # 75

Bos 0 Pens 4

DeSmith has 52 saves, Guentzel scores 3, Penguins top Bruins

By AP

PITTSBURGH -- — Casey DeSmith feels ready to step in as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ goaltender for the playoffs if injured starter Tristan Jarry can’t play.

He proved as much against the Boston Bruins.

DeSmith made a career-high 52 saves, tied for the fifth most in a shutout in NHL history, and Jake Guentzel backed him up with three goals in the Penguins' 4-0 win over the Bruins on Thursday night.

“I feel like I’m up to the task,” DeSmith said. “A 52-save shutout helps the confidence. I’ve been working for this moment for a long time to step in there in case something happens to (Jarry).”

Guentzel completed the hat trick with an empty-netter, his 40th goal of the season, as Pittsburgh moved two points ahead of Washington for third place in the Metropolitan Division. The Penguins, Bruins and Capitals have already secured playoff spots but are fighting for seeding in the Eastern Conference.

Pittsburgh and Boston are knotted at 99 points apiece.

“I’m taking it game by game now,” DeSmith said. “I’m just happy to help the team get a win.”

Jason Zucker also scored for the Penguins, who have won three of five following a four-game losing streak. The Penguins lost 2-1 at Boston on Saturday.

Jeremy Swayman made 28 saves for the Bruins, whose two-game winning streak ended. Boston has lost five of eight overall.

“(Pittsburgh) made some plays,” Swayman said. “Unfortunately, I couldn’t come up with the stop.”

DeSmith’s shutout was his third of the season and ninth overall. He stopped 41 shots in the final two periods alone.

Jarry is week-to-week with a lower-body injury, meaning Pittsburgh will likely need to rely on DeSmith early in the playoffs.

“He’s a special goaltender,” Guentzel said. “He’s come in all year and he’s done the job for us. He kept us in the game and made a lot of key saves.”

Guentzel opened the scoring at 7:49 of the first period. He fired a wrist shot between Swayman’s pads from the slot off the rush.

Boston outshot Pittsburgh 10-0 through the first six minutes of the second period, but the Penguins extended their lead on their first shot. Jeff Carter made a one-touch redirect pass through the neutral zone to spring Zucker, who beat Swayman to the glove side with a wrist shot. It was his fourth goal in eight games.

Guentzel made it a 3-0 game late in the second. After a Bruins giveaway in their own zone, Kris Letang sent a cross-ice pass to Guentzel, who beat a sprawled Swayman up high. He has seven goals in his last four games.

DESMITH STANDS TALL

DeSmith made his second straight start and fourth in five games.

His previous career best was 48 saves on 51 shots during a December 2018 home win over Boston.

DeSmith was sharp in the early portions of the second period with the Bruins swarming and Pittsburgh clinging to a 1-0 lead. He was equally impressive in the third with the Penguins ahead by three goals. The Bruins had a 15-6 advantage in shots and two power plays during the first 10 minutes of the period.

“I was happy with how I tracked the puck through traffic,” DeSmith said. “My rebound control was good, too. They get a lot of bodies to the net.”

The record for saves in a shutout is 59 by Edmonton's Ben Scrivens on Jan. 29, 2014. Semyon Varlamov and Mike Smith (54 saves each) and Craig Anderson (53) are the others ahead of DeSmith on the list.

GUENTZEL’S MILESTONE

Guentzel reached the 40-goal mark for the second time in his career.

He became the eighth player in franchise history to record 40 or more goals in multiple seasons with the team. Only Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have accomplished the feat since the turn of the century.

“It’s a cool number,” Guentzel said. “You put a lot of time and effort into this game. To score goals in this league is special. I’m fortunate to play alongside a lot of good players.”

Guentzel has 81 points, topping 80 for the first time in his career. Since 2005-06, only Crosby, Malkin and Phil Kessel have reached 80 points with Pittsburgh.

“I just think he’s a great player,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. “He’s one of the best goal scorers in the league and he shows it year-in and year-out.”

HEALING UP

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said several injured players could be nearing a return.

Goaltender Linus Ullmark (undisclosed) could play in one of the Bruins’ two weekend games, Cassidy said, adding that if forward David Pastrnak (upper body) and defenseman Hampus Lindholm (lower body) aren’t in the lineup Sunday, they could be back Tuesday.

Pastrnak leads the Bruins with 38 goals. Lindholm, a top-four defenseman, was acquired in a March trade with Anaheim, and Ullmark has 23 wins. Pastrnak missed his eighth straight game while Lindholm sat out his sixth and Ullmark his third.

Boston has scored two goals or fewer in regulation in each of its last seven games and hasn’t scored on the power play in nine games, an 0-for-29 stretch.

“We’ve struggled to score a little bit,” Cassidy said. “We need to finish better.”

Game # 76

Bos 3 NYR 1

Pastrnak scores 39th goal in Bruins' 3-1 win over Rangers

By AP
Updated: 9 hours ago

BOSTON -- — David Pastrnak scored his team-leading 39th goal after missing the previous eight games with an undisclosed injury, helping the Boston Bruins beat the New York Rangers 3-1 on Saturday.

Taylor Hall and Trent Frederic also scored for Boston, which is jockeying for playoff seeding in the Eastern Conference. Linus Ullmark made 30 stops.

“The timing was fine,” Pastrnak said of his return. “A little bit of puck handling, the ice was not great, and you're coming off injury, so it was a little bit bouncy for a little bit."

The Bruins had lost four of their previous six games.

Mika Zibanejad scored his 29th goal for New York and Igor Shesterkin made 32 saves.

Having locked up home ice in the opening round of the playoffs with a victory over the Islanders on Thursday, the Rangers had their four-game winning streak snapped.

“I think intensity-wise, I thought we had it,” New York center Barclay Goodrow said. “Obviously, they're preparing for the playoffs like we are also. It's good to play one of those teams and it was a close-fought game.

We did a lot of things well and some things we could have done better; little mistakes that cost us."

New York finished the road portion of its regular season with 25 victories, tied for third most in team history.

Boston went 0 for 3 on the power play and hasn’t scored in its last 32 opportunities.

“I think our power play over the course of the year has been pretty good,” Pastrnak said. “The season's long and sometimes you go through these slumps. It takes one goal and then you get rolling again.”

Ullmark is competing with Jeremy Swayman to be Boston's No. 1 goalie in the playoffs.

“I don’t think about that at all,” he said. “I try to focus on what’s important right now. For me, it was this game. ... If they ask me to play, I’ll play, and if it’s Sway that they want to play, I’ll be there for him and back him up.”

Charlie McAvoy made a nice cross-ice pass to Pastrnak, who fired the puck past Shesterkin from the left circle with 35 seconds left in the opening period.

Hall beat Shesterkin on a partial breakaway just over a minute into the second, slipping a wrist shot inside the far post.

The 25-year-old Pastrnak assisted on the play for his 500th career point.

With Boston short-handed after Ullmark flipped the puck over the glass for a delay-of-game penalty early in the third, Zibanejad fired in a wrist shot from the bottom of the left circle.

But Frederic scored on a rebound with 10:23 to play.

Ullmark, who missed three games with an injury, robbed former Bruin Frank Vatrano midway through the second, using his glove to snare the one-timer. He even made a skate save off his own teammate, when the puck caromed off the skate of defenseman Hampus Lindholm.

Ullmark wasn't worried about his time off.

“We're so far into the season, everything is kind of in place,” he said. “I was just out a week, so I wasn't concerned at all.”

AFTERNOON DELIGHT

Boston improved to 11-2 in afternoon games.

BIG ADDITION

Lindholm, a big trade deadline pickup, also was back after being sidelined with a lower-body injury for seven games.

LOFTY NUMBERS

New York forward Chris Kreider needs one goal to tie Adam Graves (52 in 1993-94) for second on the team’s single-season list. It’s also the last season the Rangers won the Stanley Cup.

Jaromir Jagr had the most in team history with 54 in 2005-06.

WORTH NOTING

Center Andrew Copp, who recorded the first natural hat trick in an opening period by a Ranger in 72 years Thursday, didn’t play because of a lower-body injury. New York center Filip Chytil (upper body) also was sidelined. Coach Gerard Gallant said Friday neither injury is serious.

Game # 77

Bos 5 Montreal 3

Bruins beat Montreal; Canadiens celebrate late Guy Lafleur

ss_20220424_200916530_19517381361_defaul

By AP
Updated: 5 hours ago

MONTREAL -- — Erik Haula scored twice, including a penalty shot, and the Boston Bruins beat Montreal 5-3 Sunday night as the Canadiens paid tribute to the late Guy Lafleur.

The Canadiens celebrated the Hall of Famer, who died Friday at age 70, with a ceremony before the game.

A video of Lafleur’s goals and of him lifting the Stanley Cup played at the Bell Centre before fans gave him a standing ovation that lasted more than 10 minutes.

On the boards, the usual ads were replaced by a simple tribute to Lafleur — listing his name, his number, his signature and the years of life: 1951 to 2022.

“It was an emotional night in Guy’s honor. We felt that Guy was with us in the third,” Canadiens interim coach Martin St. Louis said. “Like I told my players, you play so many games in the league, you might remember a few regular-season games, but you will remember that one.

“On a night like this, if (the players) didn’t know what the Canadiens are to the province of Quebec. I think they know now tonight.”

Following the final buzzer, Brendan Gallagher led his teammates back onto the ice to salute Lafleur’s retired No. 10.

“That’s a big show of respect, I’m happy that (Gallagher) did that. Guy deserves that respect,” St. Louis said. “It’s important to give this to the next generation of players. The legacy is important.”

It was another memorable chapter in the historic rivalry between the Canadiens and Bruins.

“The rivalry, it’s still there from the years so every time we play Montreal, we want to make sure we put our best foot forward,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. “I’m sure they feel the same way, especially at home on a night like tonight.

We had the upper hand early and they had no quit their game, give them credit. They battled back right to the last 30 seconds it took us to put them away.”

Boston's Patrice Bergeron had two goals, including an empty-netter, and an assist. Charlie McAvoy scored the eventual winner. Jeremy Swayman made 23 saves.

Cassidy added that the Bruins considered giving Bergeron a night off, but he refused in order to play in front of family.

“He’s a legend in Boston, obviously. You know, like (Jean) Beliveau was here or (Jacques) Lemaire,” Cassidy said. “To do it here in his home province, good for Bergy. It’s a long year for him when you get to be that age to play that many games. It’s game 79 for him and back-to-back.”

Josh Anderson, Mike Hoffman and Nick Suzuki scored for Montreal. Jeff Petry had two assists and Samuel Montembeault made 37 saves.

Bergeron opened the scoring for Boston by tapping a loose puck into an open net. He passed Raymond Bourque and moved into fourth place in career goals in Bruins history.

The Bruins were awarded a penalty shot at 18:03 of the first period when Mike Hoffman slashed Erik Haula. The winger over-skated the puck, but managed to beat Montembeault.

“I had to bite my jersey because I didn’t really know how to react to it myself, and the guys were laughing,” said Haula, who added that Brad Marchand wanted him to fail.

“He was hoping that I touched it because he had done it before so that he wasn’t going to be alone in that boat, but thankfully I didn’t and ended up scoring, but there was a lot of laughs.”

The Canadiens scored their first of the game at 1:51 of the second period on the power play. Anderson grabbed a loose puck in the slot and backhanded his 19th goal of the season.

Boston regained its two-goal lead when Tomas Nosek found Haula on the rush for his second score of the game.

McAvoy got Boston up by three just before the second intermission with a shot from the point while both teams were playing four-on-four.

Montreal rallied with two goals in the third period. Hoffman cut Montreal’s deficit to two goals on the power play with a one-timer slap shot from the point.

Suzuki, left alone in the slot, cut the Canadiens' deficit to a goal at 7:19.

Bergeron sealed Boston’s win with an empty-netter with seven seconds to go in the game.

Game # 78

Bos 4 Fla 2

Jake DeBrusk notches winner, Bruins beat Panthers 4-2

By AP

BOSTON -- — Jake DeBrusk snapped a 2-2 tie in the second period, Linus Ullmark made 19 saves and the Boston Bruins beat the Florida Panthers 4-2 on Tuesday night to clinch the first wild card in the Eastern Conference.

DeBrusk scored the eventual game-winner when he slammed home the rebound of a Brad Marchand shot at 4:59. Ullmark is 5-1 in his last eight appearances and has only allowed 10 goals in that span.

Erik Haula and Taylor Hall scored six seconds apart in the first period and Marchand notched his 32nd goal late in the third for Boston, which will travel to Carolina in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The Bruins were swept in three games in the regular season by the Hurricanes by a 16-1 margin.

Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak each had two assists for Boston.

“I thought it was a good test for us,” Haula said. “Florida is a high-powered offensive team and keeping them to two goals is good.”

Panthers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky had 34 saves as Florida lost for the second straight game after rattling off 13 wins.

“They didn't give us much space, but we weren't very sharp with the puck,” Panthers coach Andrew Brunette said. “We just were kind of disconnected all over the ice. It was one of those nights. It was hard to find energy. We really didn't have the pop tonight.”

Sam Reinhart scored a power-play goal to tie the game at 2-2 for Florida with less than a second left in the first.

Goals by Haula and Hall had given Boston a 2-1 lead with just under four minutes to play in the first.

Gustav Forsling scored his 10th in the first period for the Panthers and credited Bobrovsky for keeping the game close.

“He was unbelievable. He kept us in the game," Forsling said. “I think it was a good test for us and we're going to learn a lot from it.”

Florida mustered only three shots in the third period.

“They didn’t look to me like they had their usual jump tonight for whatever reason,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. “I liked the way our team performed and the amount of chances we generated.”

PRESIDENTS’ TROPHY

Florida failed to clinch the trophy for the best record in hockey and needs to win one of its final two games.

MISSING THE POINT

The Bruins held Jonathan Huberdeau off the score sheet for only the second time in the last 20 games. Huberdeau entered the night second in the NHL in points.

POWER OUTAGE

Boston went 0-3 with the man advantage and has now gone 12 games without a power-play goal, going 0-for-36 in that span.

“We want to get the power play fixed heading into the playoffs,” Hall said. “Don’t think we have the confidence right now, but we have too many good players not to figure it out.”

Game # 79

Bos 5 Buff 0

Bergeron hat trick leads Bruins to 5-0 win over Sabres

By AP

Patrice Bergeron scored three times, reaching 400 goals in his NHL career. David Pastrnak tallied his 40th of the season, snapping Boston's 0-for-39 power-play slump. And Linus Ullmark recorded his first shutout as a Bruin.

"It's a pretty happy room in there. Even Frank Sinatra playing, if you can believe that," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said after his team beat the Buffalo Sabres 5-0 on Thursday night. “A lot of positives.”

Bergeron recorded his eighth career hat trick, and Pastrnak scored Boston's first power-play goal in almost four weeks as the Bruins finished off the regular season at home. Ullmark made 37 saves against his former team for his first shutout of the season as he tries to win the job as No. 1 goaltender for the playoffs.

“I’m focused for what’s to come,” said the goalie, who shared the traditional postgame hug with rookie Jeremy Swayman as the fans cheered. “Regular season doesn’t mean anything. We’re heading into the playoffs.”

It was already 4-0 when Bergeron gathered in a pass from Charlie McAvoy in the center and wristed it into the net with 2:13 remaining. Hats came flying over the glass, and the Bruins hugged their captain, jumping up and down on their skates.

It was the 100th hat trick in the NHL this season. Bergeron is the fourth Bruin to score 400 goals, joining Johnny Bucyk (545), Phil Esposito (459) and Rick Middleton (402).

“It is special, and one of the things that is special is that I scored, it’s been a great ride with one organization. It’s something that doesn’t happen often. I’m proud of that," Bergeron said. “To share that with them and for them to have that reaction was great, was special and it was very much appreciated.”

Bergeron and Mark Messier are the only players to complete a hat trick with their 400th goal, according to STATS.

Dustin Tokarski stopped 27 shots for the Sabres, who will miss the playoffs for the 11th straight season.

The Bruins failed to convert on their first three power plays Thursday, making it 39 in a row since April 2 after Pastrnak dinged the upper corner in the second period. Then they scored on two straight, with Pastrnak hitting the 40-goal mark for the second time; only Phil Esposito (7), Rick Middleton (5), Cam Neely (4) and Ken Hodge (3) have more 40-goal seasons with the Bruins.

Taylor Hall made it it 4-0 after the delay-of-game penalty assessed on the Sabres for unsuccessfully challenging Pastrnak’s goal.

“We didn’t need the goals, but we don’t need to be talking about it forever, so it’s good to get 'em,” Cassidy said. “You could sense it was happening. So it was going to come sooner or later.”

After a scoreless first period, the Bruins broke through six minutes into the second following a flurry in front of the net that ended with the puck landing in front of Bergeron in the slot. With Tokarski on his backside and out of position, the Bruins captain easily poked the puck into the net.

Bergeron made it 2-0 six minutes later after Jake DeBrusk dug out the puck behind the net and slid it into the slot. The Sabres challenged, saying that Boston had gone offside long before the goal; the play was upheld.

The Bruins again failed to score on the ensuing power play. Pastrnak ended the slump two minutes into the third period when he cleaned up the rebound of Hall’s shot. Hall made it 4-0 two minutes later when Tokarski left another rebound in front.

7TH MAN

Goalie Jeremy Swayman won the Bruins 7th Player Award, which was presented before the game.

Swayman, 23, has a 20-11-3 record while posting a 2.34 goals against average this season while competing for the No. 1 job with Ullmark. He leads all rookies GAA, save percentage (.915), wins and shutouts (3).

Ullmark, who went 25-10-2 with a 2.51 GAA, appears to have earned the start — at least in the playoff opener. It would be his postseason debut; Swayman appeared in one game in relief of Tuukka Rask last year.

Cassidy said earlier Thursday that he wasn’t against using both.

“It’s going to be a decision in the moment, I guess, is the easiest way to say it,” he said. “It could go one way or the other, to be perfectly honest.”

FOND FAREWELLS

The Bruins said goodbye to head athletic trainer Don DelNegro, who is retiring after 29 years with the team. There was a compilation of good luck videos shown on the scoreboard, and another video showed the players presenting him with a golf cart as a retirement gift.

After the game, the team posed for a picture with DelNegro at center ice and then he walked through the players to the bench. In the locker room after, the team sent him off with Frank Sinatra's “My Way.”

Game # 82

Bos 2 Leafs 5

Nylander scores twice, Maple Leafs beat Bruins 5-2 in finale

ByAP
Updated: 5 hours ago

TORONTO -- — William Nylander scored twice and the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Boston Bruins 5-2 on Friday night in a regular-season finale with both teams resting most of their stars.

“We’ve got 82 games in the books,” Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe said. “Now we get to play for real.”

The Maple Leafs ensured they will face the two-time defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round, while the Bruins are set to meet the Carolina Hurricanes.

“Back-to-back champs, one of the best teams in the league,” Nylander said about the Lightning. “It’s going to be a tough series, but it’ll be a good battle for us.”

Toronto finished 54-21-7 for 115 points, 10 more than the previous franchise record set in 2017-18.

Ilya Mikheyev, Nick Abruzzese, with his first NHL goal, and Pierre Engvall, into an empty net, also scored for Toronto. Erik Kallgren made 24 saves.

Trent Frederic and Jake DeBrusk scored for Boston (51-26-5). Jeremy Swayman stopped 22 shots.

Having already locked up the Atlantic Division’s No. 2 seed, the Maple Leafs rested Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and John Tavares up front, while No. 1 goaltender Jack Campbell served as the backup.

The Bruins were minus Patrice Bergeron, David Pastrnak, Brad Marchand, Taylor Hall and Charlie McAvoy.

Boston, which was playing the second of a back-to-back, still had a chance of catching Tampa Bay for third in the division entering play, instead finished as the Eastern Conference’s first wild-card seed.

“You want to play every game you can,” Bruins center Charlie Coyle said. “No matter what night it is, who you’re playing, you want to be in the lineup and make an impact.”