Patrick Marleau Retires after 23 years

NHL HHOF

It seemed it would be Fate for the Sharks to pull off victory on their special night.  I didn’t watch much, but did watch the end without game audio*.

1 - Sharks tie it with 2 minutes left

2 - Sharks survive an early 4-3 OT power play (and nearly score on the short/lived 4-on-4)

3 - Sharks survive Chicago breakaway with 30 seconds left

4 - Sharks survive a Blackhawk all alone with the goalie with 10 seconds left

In the shootout, the first Blackhawk scores, that’s it.  SO loss (with Brownie Point) for San Jose on Marleau Night.

*was grooving’ on my earbuds wit my man Miles Mr Davis so you can’t really blame me

Sharks retire Marleau's No. 12 jersey in pregame ceremony

Former San Jose captain becomes first player in franchise history to receive honor

https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sharks-retire-patrick-marleaus-no-12-jersey-in-pregame-ceremony/c-341520146?tid=281396148

SAN JOSE -- Patrick Marleau was honored by the San Jose Sharks in a jersey retirement ceremony, making him the first player in franchise history to have his jersey number retired.

"It's just an unbelievable honor to have," Marleau said. "It was surreal. It just flashes before your eyes. Everything I did led up to this moment."

The ceremony featured speeches from Marleau's former coach Todd McLellan and former teammates Kelly Hrudey and Joe Thornton. Former teammates such as Owen Nolan, Evgeny Nabokov and Douglas Murray were also in attendance for the ceremony and sat on the ice. 

"I've been looking back [because I've been] seeing all the teammates who came back," Marleau said. "When you see their faces and you get talking, the stories and the memories keep flying back.

At the conclusion of the ceremony, former Oakland A's pitcher Rollie Fingers, Golden State Warriors shooting guard Chris Mullin and San Francisco Giants outfielder Barry Bonds joined Marleau on the ice before his jersey number was raised into the rafters to cap off the emotional ceremony.

cut.jpg

"I'm actually pretty happy that I did as well as I did, as far as the tears and everything," Marleau said. "Because I could have been up there crying the whole night."

Marleau concluded his playing career ranked first in the NHL in games played (1,779), 23rd in goals scored (566), T-7th in game-winning goals (109), 50th in points (1,197), and 81st in assists (631). As a member of the Sharks, he ranks first in games played (1,607), goals (522), points (1,111), power-play goals (163), shorthanded goals (17), game-winning goals (101), multi-goal games (67) and shots (3,953). He also ranks second in assists (589), eighth in penalty minutes (481), and eighth in points-per-game (0.69 - min. 200 games).

Marleau was originally selected by the Sharks with the second overall selection in the 1997 NHL Draft and made his NHL debut on Oct. 1, 1997. At 18 years, six days old, he became the youngest player to make his NHL debut since 1945.

"I'm so happy to be part of that story, of the evolution of hockey in the Bay Area," Marleau said.

Fp3H6nMacAAsGJQ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Fp3H6praAAAmuNN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Fp3H5HxacAceNhX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Fp3IeLRaAAAdtH1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

There are currently 47 members of the NHL's 500+ goals club. 44 of them are retired, and 38 of them are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. The 6 retired members of the NHL 500+ goals club who are not in the Hockey Hall of Fame yet are Marleau, Tkachuk, Verbeek, Turgeon, Roenick, Bondra.

RETIRED NHL 500+ GOAL-SCORERS

NOT IN THE HOCKEY HALL OF FAME

1. 566 – Patrick Marleau

2. 538 – Keith Tkachuk

3. 522 – Pat Verbeek

4. 515 – Pierre Turgeon

5. 513 – Jeremy Roenick

6. 503 – Peter Bondra

FqK5oc0XgAEdK5G?format=png&name=900x900

FqK5sVqWAAcIF14?format=png&name=900x900

Will Patrick Marleau make the Hockey Hall of Fame?

https://thednvr.com/will-patrick-marleau-make-the-hockey-hall-of-fame/

https://megaphone.link/BSND5457461995

<iframe frameBorder="0" height="482" scrolling="no" src="https://playlist.megaphone.fm/?e=BSND5457461995"
width="100%"></iframe>

Edited by NHL HHOF