Brewin Flames

Game # 67

Flames 3 Yotes 4 OT

Coyotes beat Flames 4-3 in OT to extend points streak to 6

ss_20230315_005001921_2221549_default.jp

0:57

Travis Boyd's OT goal lifts Coyotes past Flames

Updated: 3 hours ago

TEMPE, Ariz. -- — Travis Boyd scored at 3:10 of overtime and the Arizona Coyotes extended their points streak to six with a 4-3 victory over the Calgary Flames on Tuesday night.

Clayton Keller scored twice, including a go-ahead, short-handed tally at 2:01 of the third period for his 31st goal of the season. Matias Maccelli also scored for Arizona and assisted on Boyd's winner.

Keller became the first Coyotes player with 30 goals in a season in 11 years when he scored 9:22 into the first period off a pass from Barrett Hayton. The last was Radim Vrbata, who had 35 goals in 2011-12.

“I'm just sticking with what's working for me, when I do that I've been successful and that's what I want to continue to do,” Keller said. “It was definitely nice to get that one (30th) out of the way early. My linemates (Hayton and Brett Ritchie) are doing a great job.”

Hayton assisted on both of Keller's goals. Juuso Valimaki, who was in the penalty box for high-sticking during Keller's second goal, assisted on the first one.

It was Keller's second two-goal game in a row. On Sunday in a 5-4 overtime win over Minnesota, he scored the winner.

Boyd's 12th of the season was the winner this time.

“The boys are playing hard right now," Coyotes coach Andre Tourigny said. “We know we're missing big pieces. You can enjoy the fact that you have excuses, or you can show character and double down and that's what our guys are doing.”

Mikael Backlund, Jonathan Huberdeau and Walker Duehr scored for Calgary, five points out of the final Western Conference playoff spot.

Huberdeau deflected a shot by former Coyote Troy Stecher past Connor Ingram to tie it at 3 for Calgary with 5:01 left in the third period. Dillon Dube also assisted on the tying goal.

Ingram stopped 42 shots for Arizona, while Jacob Markstrom had 21 saves for Calgary.

Backlund opened the scoring at 8:14 when he beat Ingram from in close. Keller’s 30th tied it just over a minute later.

Maccelli gave the Coyotes their first lead 55 seconds into the second period, scoring his sixth goal of the season with Jack McBain and Lawson Crouse assisting. That advantage lasted just 1:08 as Duehr’s shot from the right side got past Ingram. Milan Lucic and Noah Hanifin were credited with the assists on Duehr’s fourth goal of the season.

Arizona appeared to take the lead at 7:12 of the second, but the goal was disallowed due to goaltender interference.

While the Coyotes have struggled on the road, they have taken advantage of the intimate atmosphere of the Mullett Center, winning four in a row, nine of their last 13 and overall are 18-11-3 in their first season in the 4,500-seat arena on Arizona State University’s campus. Tuesday's victory equaled the Coyotes’ longest home winning streak of the season (Jan. 26-Feb. 19).

NO ON-ICE REUNION

Tuesday was the first game between the teams since they swapped brothers Nick and Brett Ritchie at the trade deadline earlier this month.

But Nick was scratched from Calgary’s lineup for the second straight game. Brett Ritchie had a great scoring chance in the first period, but Markstrom was able to make the skate save.

• Good Post 1

Game # 68

Flames 7 VGK 2

Toffoli, Coleman each score twice, Flames win 7-2 in Vegas

ss_20230317_000935688_2222922_default.jp

0:49

Mikael Backlund nets power-play goal

Mikael Backlund nets power-play goal

Updated: 2 hours ago

LAS VEGAS -- — Tyler Toffoli and Blake Coleman each scored twice as the Calgary Flames defeated Vegas 7-2 on Thursday night for their first road victory over the Golden Knights.

The Flames, who lost 13 of their previous 20 games, scored seven goals for the third time this season. Four came in the third period to ice the game.

“It’s a huge win,” Coleman said. “Obviously, we’ve had trouble in third periods putting teams away. From start to finish, we did a pretty great job tonight making sure we didn’t take our foot off the gas.”

It marked the first time in nine tries that the Flames won at Vegas since the Golden Knights joined the NHL in 2017. Before this one, the Knights had outscored Calgary 34-11 in Las Vegas.

MacKenzie Weegar, Mikael Backlund and Dillon Dube also scored for the Flames. Jacob Markstrom stopped 17 shots to win for the fourth time in his last six starts.

“They’re coming back from a long trip, a lot of time-zone changes coming in there, and our only focus (was) trying to have a good first period,” Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said. “It doesn’t matter if (the final was) 10-2 or 3-2, we need points.”

Jonathan Quick, who made 23 saves, lost for the first time since being acquired by Vegas.

Zach Whitecloud and Reilly Smith scored for the Golden Knights, who came in boasting a league-best 13-2-2 mark since the All-Star break after a 4-1-0 road trip.

Vegas, which has struggled with the league’s second-worst power play (12.5%) since Dec. 28, went 0 for 4 with the man advantage.

“Our power play had an opportunity to get us back into the game and we failed in that area,” Vegas coach Bruce Cassidy said.

Calgary opened the scoring late in the first period when Rasmus Andersson gathered the puck from a faceoff in the right circle and fed Weegar, whose drive from the blue line lasered into the net.

Toffoli, who also assisted on Weegar’s goal, added to his stat sheet early in the second when he skated across the crease and around Quick to bury the puck and give the Flames a 2-0 lead.

Whitecloud put Vegas on the board later in the second when he skated around the rim of the right circle and rifled a wrist shot past Markstrom, cutting Calgary’s lead in half with 7:27 left in the period.

After missing an opportunity to tie the game earlier on a shift with a backhand that soared over the net, Smith made amends when he took William Karlsson’s feed at the doorstep and slammed it home, evening the game 2-all.

Calgary regained the lead quickly when Coleman tipped home Elias Lindholm’s shot from the right side of the goal line a little more than a minute after Smith’s goal.

“You've got to have pushback on this team,” Coleman said. “They’re a good team. They’re going to have their pushes. Obviously, you don’t want to blow a two-goal lead. We were able to respond tonight.”

The Flames began opening some breathing room midway through the third when Backlund scored after trying to feed Toffoli from below the goal line. Instead, the puck caromed off Alex Pietrangelo’s stick and Quick's head before going in.

Toffoli and Coleman then added their second goals of the night before Dube closed out the scoring.

• Good Post 1

Game # 69

Flames 5 Stars 6 OT

Jason Robertson scores in OT, Stars beat Flames 6-5

ss_20230319_020721463_2225585_default.jp

0:39

Rasmus Andersson nets goal vs. Stars

Rasmus Andersson nets goal vs. Stars

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Jason Robertson scored his second goal of the game at 4:47 of overtime to give the Dallas Stars a 6-5 victory over the Calgary Flames on Saturday night.

Robertson cut across the crease and lifted a backhander over goalie Jacob Markstrom in overtime.

“You give Robertson an inch, he takes it and he scores,” Flames defenseman Rasmus Andersson said.

Robertson has 41 goals to become the first player with consecutive 40-goal seasons since the franchise moved from Minnesota to Dallas for the 1993-94 season. He's the third in team history, joining Dino Ciccarelli (three in a row in 1985-86, 1986-87 and 1987-88) and Dave Gagner (1989-90, 1990-91).

“They put me out there to try to produce,” Robertson said. “A lot of guys on this team are having fantastic seasons. It kind of bleeds into my game. That success translates from our team to individuals.

“We’re doing really well in the standings right now. We want to keep it that way. But that sure helps a guy like me to achieve that milestone.”

Joe Pavelski, Radek Faksa, Wyatt Johnston and Jani Hakanpaa also scored to help Central-leading Dallas snap a two-game losing streak and end a six-game trip with four victories. Jake Oettinger made 33 saves.

Elias Lindholm, MacKenzie Weegar, Blake Coleman, Nick Ritchie and Andersson scored for Calgary. Markstrom stopped 20 shots. The Flames are four points behind Winnipeg for the Western Conference’s last wild-card playoff spot.

“We did a good job climbing back in the game,” Weegar said. “Battling down to the last minute, going into OT, it comes down to one play and we’ve got to start making that play.”

Robertson tied it at 4 with 1:50 left in the second period. Andersson gave Calgary the lead at 9:53 of the third period, and Hakanpaa tied it with 7:51 left.

“We had two losses to this team in our barn,” Robertson said. “One especially we’d really love to get back. It feels good to get one in their building and get the two points.”

• Good Post 1

Game # 70

Flames 2 LA 8

Kempe leads Kings into 1st place with 8-2 win over Flames

By GREG BEACHAM

AP Sports Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) Drew Doughty and Viktor Arvidsson scored in Los Angeles' four-goal first period, Adrian Kempe had two goals and an assist, and the Kings cruised into a first-place tie in the Pacific Division with an 8-2 victory over the Calgary Flames on Monday night.

Carl Grundstrom had two goals and Gabriel Vilardi and Mikey Anderson also scored for the Kings, who pulled even with Vegas atop the division by extending its points streak to 10 games (8-0-2) with their second eight-goal outburst of the season. The Kings have earned a point in every game in March, putting themselves in contention for just the second division title for a franchise with two Stanley Cup championships.

"They played a hell of a game," Los Angeles coach Todd McLellan said of his team. "I thought our puck pressure and our tenacity was at its best, both when we had the puck and when we didn't. It allowed us to create turnovers and take advantage of them."

Pheonix Copley made 15 saves for Los Angeles, while captain Anze Kopitar, Quinton Byfield and Rasmus Kupari had two assists apiece.

"We got the lead early and then we didn't look back from there," Byfield said. "We came out, played our game right at the start. We took the lead and just kept playing the right way. The goals just kept coming for us tonight."

Tyler Toffoli scored against his former team for the Flames, who couldn't catch up after allowing four goals in a first period for the first time since November 2017. Coach Darryl Sutter's teams hadn't allowed four goals in a first period since October 2014, when he was still behind the Kings' bench.

"The game plan, you're down 4-nothing, pretty much got to flush it and start again, right?" Sutter said. "No other way around it. Scored the power play goal to start the second, but 5-on-5, I think they dominated us."

Jacob Markstrom stopped 20 shots and gave up six goals in the first two periods of his 10th consecutive start before Dan Vladar mopped up in the third for the Flames. Markstrom also allowed six goals in Calgary's overtime loss to Dallas two days earlier to begin the team's worst two-game defensive stretch of the season.

Calgary defenseman Rasmus Andersson called it "a brutal game."

"Our D-zone was not good enough," Andersson added. "We were not good enough with the puck. We didn't get through the neutral zone. We didn't have any, really, forecheck. It felt like they broke the puck out. And, I mean, I was terrible tonight, and I've got to be better. Everyone's got to step up tomorrow, but I have to play a lot better."

Noah Hanifin also scored for the Flames, who have lost four of six to hurt their playoff hopes.

The Kings were prolific offensively even with top scorer Kevin Fiala missing his fifth straight game with a lower-body injury.

Grundstrom put Los Angeles ahead early when he skated around Markstrom and scored a goal in his third consecutive game. Doughty then scored his third goal in four games on a long shot through traffic, and Vilardi scored 57 seconds later.

Arvidsson added a power-play goal off a cross-ice pass from Kempe to secure his fifth career 20-goal season, including both of his years with Los Angeles.

Toffoli drove home his 29th goal from the slot on a power play 34 seconds into the second. The goal was Toffoli's third in seven career games against the Kings, who drafted him in 2010 and won a Stanley Cup with him in 2014 before trading him in 2020.

But Kempe scored two goals in 4 1/2 minutes, giving him 34 this season. Anderson scored his first career power-play goal in the third.

Milan Lucic was a healthy scratch for the second straight game. The veteran Calgary forward who played one season for the Kings has scored just one goal in his last 27 games since Jan. 10.

• Good Post 1

Game # 71

Flames 5 Ducks 1

Flames bounce back with 5-1 victory over Ducks

ss_20230322_003454309_2228222_default.jp

0:40

Andrew Mangiapane nets goal vs. Ducks

Andrew Mangiapane nets goal vs. Ducks

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- — Tyler Toffoli had three assists, Calgary scored twice on the power play and the Flames bounced back from a six-goal loss one night earlier with a 5-1 victory over the Anaheim Ducks on Tuesday.

Toffoli has nine points in the past four games, including six assists.

Nick Ritchie, Troy Stecher, Rasmus Andersson, Elias Lindholm and Andrew Mangiapane scored Calgary's goals. Mikael Backlund had a pair of assists and Dan Vladar stopped 19 shots for the Flames, who rebounded from an 8-2 defeat Monday night in Los Angeles.

“We just wanted to put that game behind us. And there’s no better way to put it behind you than to just go out there and play right away,” said Mangiapane, who scored on a breakaway with less than five minutes remaining for his 12th of the season. “I think the first period set the tone for us. We wanted to come out strong and hard and just keep building off of that.”

The win kept Calgary four points behind Winnipeg for the final wild card in the Western Conference with 10 games remaining after the Jets beat Arizona 2-1.

“As a coach it is really simple: I just want to keep every game meaningful,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said.

Frank Vatrano scored Anaheim's lone goal. John Gibson made 38 saves, facing more than 40 shots for the 20th time this season.

“We knew that they were going to be a little ornery after their game last night against L.A., and other than a few spurts in the second period, maybe for about six minutes in the second, we couldn’t sustain much. Every time we turned, they were in our face,” Ducks coach Dallas Eakins said.

Calgary has 12 goals with the man advantage over the past month, which is fifth in the NHL.

Andersson put Calgary up 3-0 less than three minutes into the third period on a one-timer off Toffoli’s pass. It was Andersson’s 11th goal and his third in the past six games.

The Flames grabbed the lead 37 seconds into the game when Ritchie put in the rebound after Gibson made a pad save on Noah Hanifin's shot from the point. Ritchie's 12th of the season marked the sixth time Calgary has scored in the opening minute.

Stecher broke a 90-game goal drought at 16:50 of the first with a snap shot from the right faceoff circle to the high side of the far post. Stecher — whose last goal was on Feb. 17, 2022 — has three points (one goal, two assists) since being acquired from Arizona at the trade deadline.

Anaheim got on the board five minutes later when Vatrano lifted a wrist shot over Vladar's shoulder on his glove side. Vatrano's 17th marked only the second goal in Anaheim's last 15 power-play opportunities.

Lindholm scored his 21st and gave Calgary a 4-1 lead 46 seconds into the third on a one-timer.

Game # 72

Falmes 2 VGK 3

Thompson makes 37 saves as Golden Knights beat Flames 3-2

ss_20230323_231607773_2229282_default.jp

0:54

Nicolas Roy tallies goal vs. Flames

Nicolas Roy tallies goal vs. Flames

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Logan Thompson’s triumphant return for Vegas was overshadowed by another injury.

Before he departed with just over six minutes to go, Thompson made 37 saves as the surging Golden Knights beat the Calgary Flames 3-2 on Thursday night.

“Right now, obviously concerned about Logan,” Vegas coach Bruce Cassidy said. “Obviously, Logan missing that much time, we’ll have to look closely at that one.”

It was unknown if the latest setback is related to the lower-body injury he suffered on Feb. 9.

“I don’t know what happened, to be honest. He just got up and left,” Cassidy said. “He knows his body. I have no idea. At the end of the day, let’s hope it’s not related to the previous injury and it’s something that will be short term.”

Up 3-2 at the time, Jonathan Quick came in and turned aside all five shots he faced as Calgary poured on the pressure in search of the tying goal.

“It doesn’t happen really often but when he got out there (Quick) made a couple really good saves to keep us in the game,” Vegas forward Ivan Barbashev said.

The best chance came off the stick of MacKenzie Weegar with a minute to go but he couldn’t beat Quick from 30 feet out.

“I saw the net and I missed my shot,” the Flames defenseman said. “If there was one chance I can get back all year, it would be that one.”

Nicolas Roy scored for Vegas (45-21-6) in his return from an 18-game absence. Jonathan Marchessault and Michael Amadio also scored.

Milan Lucic and Nazem Kadri scored for Calgary (32-26-15). Jacob Markstrom stopped 29 shots in his 11th start in the last 12 games.

In avenging their 7-2 home loss to the Flames last week, the Golden Knights earned their seventh win in eight games and improved to 16-3-2 in their last 21 overall.

Vegas opened a four-point cushion on the Los Angeles Kings atop the Pacific Division.

It was a tough blow for Calgary's flickering playoff hopes. The Flames dropped six points back of Winnipeg for the second wild card in the Western Conference.

It was Calgary's 27th one-goal loss this year, which leads the NHL.

“We’re in every game, and we have a chance to win every game we’re playing, so it obviously makes it more frustrating that we lose and it feels like we’re always losing by that one goal,” Flames defenseman Rasmus Andersson said.

“I don’t know how many games I’ve played back in my head thinking that ‘Ah, I should have scored that’ or ‘How did we not score that’ and we would have been in a different situation, but it’s the reality.”

Up 2-1 entering the third period, Vegas got some breathing room at 5:19 when pressure by Roy created a defensive zone turnover by Rasmus Andersson. Roy then went to the net, received a pass from Phil Kessel and fired a shot over Markstrom.

The Flames pulled within one at 12:33 when Kadri ended his 16-game goal drought with a power-play marker, but that’s as close as they would get.

Calgary fell to 0-18-3 when trailing after two periods.

Vegas, which entered the night having outscored teams 70-45 in the first period this year, jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the opening frame.

Jack Eichel sprung Marchessault and Ivan Barbashev on a 2-on-1, with Marchessault patiently holding onto the puck before whipping a shot past Markstrom high on his blocker side at 11:43.

Then Amadio got free and rattled in his own rebound at 15:23.

Lucic cut the deficit in half with 58 seconds left in the frame. Walker Duehr hustled up the ice after a turnover, fended off some back pressure and zipped a cross-ice pass to Lucic, who sent the puck just under the crossbar and in.

• Good Post 1

Game # 73

Flames 5 Sharks 3

Toffoli’s 2-goal effort leads Flames in 5-3 win over Sharks

ss_20230325_184519711_2230406_default.jp

1:39

Flames take down Sharks 5-3

The Flames get two goals from Tyler Toffoli, leading them to the 5-3 win over the Sharks.

Updated: 8 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Led offensively by two guys with Stanley Cup rings, the Calgary Flames kept their faint playoff hopes alive on Saturday.

Tyler Toffoli scored two goals and Nazem Kadri notched the game-winner as the Flames won 5-3 over the San Jose Sharks to climb two points closer to a playoff berth.

“They’re a desperate team, they have some skill. And obviously with (Erik) Karlsson on the back end, he can take over games, and I thought we did a good job sticking together and finding a way to win,” said Toffoli, whose 31 goals equals a career high.

Combined with Winnipeg’s 4-1 loss to Los Angeles, the Flames moved to within four points of the Jets, who occupy the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. Both teams have eight games remaining including one head-to-head.

“We can’t really worry about what other people are thinking,” Toffoli said. “We just have to win every game we can, and every game we win keeps us in it and gives us a chance.”

Toffoli played for Flame coach Darryl Sutter in 2014 when he was the coach of the Stanley Cup-winning Los Angeles Kings.

“He’s a winner,” said Sutter. “Can’t teach it, thankful to have him.”

Kadri won his Stanley Cup last season with Colorado.

“Ideally you want to find yourself to not be in this position this late in the season,” Kadri said. “But it’s hard to win in months like these leading up to the playoffs and we’ve given ourselves a chance so that’s really all that matters.”

MacKenzie Weegar and Walker Duehr added the others for Calgary, which won for just the second time in its last nine games at the Saddledome (2-5-2). Jacob Markstrom made 28 saves.

Logan Couture, Nico Sturm and Martin Kaut replied for San Jose, which had its winless skid extended to nine games (0-6-3). Kaapo Kahkonen had 25 stops.

“Losing sucks,” said Couture. “Tonight was one of our better efforts. We’re realistic in here. We know where we’re at. We lost a bunch of guys at the deadline. We moved out six or seven of our full-time players. I liked our compete. We fought to the end. We can be proud of that.”

Karlsson’s two assists helped him reach 68 on the year to surpass his previous career-high of 66 in 2015-16 and break the Sharks record for helpers by a defenseman. Brent Burns previously held it with 67 in 2018-19.

“We just want to come every day and work hard and make the most out of a bad situation,” said Karlsson. “Today everybody showed up and we tried to play the way we need to to be competitive and I think we were for the most part of 60 minutes.”

Tied at 3, Kadri scored the go-ahead goal 5:45 into the third period. He banged in a rebound from the side of the net after Kahkonen stopped Milan Lucic and Duehr. It was Kadri’s second goal in as many games after a 16-game goal drought.

Toffoli put the game away scoring his team-leading 31st of the season into an empty-net with 1:10 remaining.

MILESTONE FOR BACKLUND

Backlund played his 900th career game Saturday. A first-round pick by the Flames in 2007, the 34-year-old center is third on the franchise’s all-time games played list behind Jarome Iginla (1,219) and Mark Giordano (949).

• Good Post 1

Game # 74

Flames 2 Kings 1

Markstrom reigns over streaking Kings as Flames win 2-1

ss_20230328_235503216_2232585_default.jp

1:35

Flames hold on for important win vs. Kings

The Flames squeak out a 2-1 win against the Kings as all three goals are scored in the first period.

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Jacob Markstrom made 32 saves Tuesday night to backstop the Calgary Flames to a critical 2-1 victory over the streaking Los Angeles Kings.

Andrew Mangiapane and Walker Duehr scored for Calgary, which won its second consecutive game and improved to 7-3-2 in its last 12.

Sean Durzi had the lone goal for Los Angeles, which scored 19 in its previous three games. The Kings have been the NHL’s hottest team, entering the night on a franchise-record 12-game point streak (10-0-2).

“I don’t think it was a lack of effort, certainly today," Kings captain Anze Kopitar said. “It was a hard-fought game, a physical game. For the most part we did a good job. Just obviously unfortunately we didn’t convert on a few of our chances.”

Los Angeles is two points behind first-place Vegas and one up on Edmonton in the Pacific Division. The Oilers won 7-4 in Las Vegas.

The Flames moved within two points of the Winnipeg Jets, who occupy the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. Winnipeg lost 3-0 at struggling San Jose.

Starting for the 15th time in 16 games, Markstrom turned in one of his best performances this season. The veteran goalie made numerous important saves to help the Flames’ 2-1 lead from the first period hold up the rest of the way.

“He was sharp. Made some big stops. He probably stole us two points,” Calgary center Elias Lindholm said.

Making his sixth start in goal since being acquired in a trade with Columbus, Joonas Korpisalo made 30 stops but lost for the first time with Los Angeles.

“Both goaltenders were first and second star in whatever order you want to pick,” Kings coach Todd McLellan said. “They both played well. Korpi made some really good saves for us. He gave us a chance to have those good looks at the other end. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t reward him with at least one to get him a point.”

Momentum swung halfway through the first period when Rasmus Andersson’s goal, which would have made it 2-0, was waved off after an offside review. Less than two minutes later, the Kings tied it.

Durzi was left with open space to skate in from the blue line and he whipped a shot into the top corner.

Calgary restored its lead at 17:59 when Duehr slipped a shot past Korpisalo from the side of the net. It was the sixth goal in 21 games for the rookie from South Dakota, who was playing on the fourth line.

“It felt like a playoff game. We had our pushes, they had their pushes and I thought Marky stood on his head tonight and gave us a chance to win,” Duehr said.

Eight days ago in Los Angeles, the Kings thumped Calgary 8-2.

“Obviously, we’re not very happy about the last meeting against these guys and it’s still fresh in the memory. Today I thought we played a better game,” Markstrom said.

LINEUP SHUFFLE

Los Angeles made three lineup changes. Blake Lizotte returned from a one-game suspension, but RW Gabe Vilardi (upper body) wasn't with the Kings to begin the road trip after getting injured in the previous game. 

Arthur Kaliyev also drew in up front with Jaret Anderson-Dolan coming out. On the blue line, Alex Edler replaced Sean Walker.

• Good Post 1

Game # 75

Flames 5 Van 4 OT

Toffoli scores 2nd goal in OT, Flames beat Canucks 5-4

ss_20230401_005222586_223448661_default.

0:48

Tyler Toffoli's OT goal caps off win for the Flames

Tyler Toffoli races down the ice and nets a goal that helps the Calgary Flames to a 5-4 overtime win over the Vancouver Canucks.

Updated: 5 hours ago

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- — Tyler Toffoli scored his second goal of the game 3:27 into overtime and the Calgary Flames rallied to beat the Vancouver Canucks 5-4 on Friday night.

Troy Stecher had a goal and an assist, and Jonathan Huberdeau and Blake Coleman also scored for the Flames, who faced deficits of 2-0, 3-2, and 4-3 before getting their first three-game win streak since Dec. 7. Mikael Backlund had two assists and Jacob Markstrom finished with 14 saves.

“I think it speaks volume to the character that we have in this room,” Stecher said. “Tonight, it seemed like any time we scored, we took a step backwards. It’s not something you want to do but at the end of the day, we find a way to get two points and stay in the (playoff) hunt.”

Calgary remained two points out of a playoff spot with five games left in the regular season.

“We were pretty resilient,” Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said. “There was a lot of things that could have taken you out of the game right? But it actually helped us in some ways.”

Elias Pettersson, Conor Garland, Anthony Beauvillier and Aidan McDonough all scored for Vancouver, which lost its second straight in overtime to fall to 3-0-2 in its last five games. Thatcher Demko stopped 36 shots.

“We battled. It’s tough,” Canucks coach Rick Tocchet said. “They had six power plays. We couldn’t handle their forecheck. I thought they were dumping a lot of pucks. And we tried to have a game plan, I thought a couple of guys didn’t execute.”

In the extra period, Backlund sprung Toffoli for a breakaway and the Flames forward made no mistakes, putting a shot up and over Demko to end the game.

The Flames forced overtime with a late power-play goal after Pettersson was called for high-sticking. Noah Hanifin sent a hard shot off the end boards from the point and the puck bounced to Huberdeau, who fired it past Demko from the bottom of the faceoff circle, tying the score 4-4 with 3:13 remaining in the third period.

Flames were 1 for 6 with the man advantage and the Canucks went 1 for 2.

Vancouver was outshot 11-6 in the first period, but led 1-0 going into the first intermission.

Garland started the scoring 8:30 into the game as he sprinted into Calgary territory on a breakaway and fired a shot under Markstrom’s glove for his 14th goal of the season.

Pettersson made it 2-0 with a power-play goal 36 seconds into the second as he blasted a rocket past Markstrom from the top of the faceoff circle for his 36th goal of the season. It extended his point streak to a career-high 14 games, with eight goals and 12 assists in the stretch.

Toffoli tucked a backhanded shot in for his career-high 32nd to get the Flames on the scoreboard at 2:55 of the second.

The Flames tied it about six minutes later as Backlund’s shot ricocheted of Demko’s pad and Coleman batted the puck in from the top of the crease for his 18th.

The Canucks took a 3-2 lead when McDonough got his first NHL goal with 7:48 remaining in the middle period when he knocked in the rebound of Sheldon Dries' backhander.

“It was great,” said McDonough, who celebrated the achievement on the ice with his childhood friend and Canucks teammate Jack Rathbone. “Obviously, you dream about scoring that on the driveway or in the backyard your whole life. And to get one there was, it was pretty special.”

Stecher tied it with 4:08 left in the period as he got a cross-ice pass from Nazem Kadri and fired a shot past Demko for his second.

The Canucks went ahead again just 14 seconds later as Nils Aman found Beauvillier at the side of the net on a 2-on-1.

Vancouver led 4-3 after 40 minutes despite being outshot 26-12. Calgary had 11-2 edge in the third period.

HOCKEY PRIDE

The Canucks held their annual Pride night, featuring themed warm-up jerseys, special entertainment before and during the game, and video messages from people in the LGBTQ community.

• Good Post 1

Game # 76

Flames 5 Ducks 4

Lucic, Stone score in 3rd to rally Flames past Ducks 5-4

ss_20230402_223922760_22369591376_defaul

0:35

Michael Stone's long-distance slap shot puts Flames ahead for good

The Flames take a 5-4 lead over the Ducks as Michael Stone tallies his sixth goal of the season in the closing minutes.

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Milan Lucic and Michael Stone scored in the third period and the Calgary Flames rallied to beat the Anaheim Ducks 5-4 on Sunday.

Nick Ritchie had a goal and an assist, and Andrew Mangiapane and Nikita Zadorov also to help Calgary win a season-high fourth straight game. Tyler Toffoli had two assists.

Calgary remained two points behind Winnipeg for the second wild card in the Western Conference. The Jets beat New Jersey 6-1 earlier Sunday.

“Winnipeg won, so we needed to do our part,” Lucic said. “Five games left, we’re probably going to have to win all of them.”

The Flames were winless when trailing after two periods through their first 75 games. They’ve now won back-to-back down after 40 minutes following Friday’s 5-4 overtime win at Vancouver.

“It’s the right time of year to do it,” Stone said. “It would be better if we were in a different position, but it’s good we’re stringing some wins together.”

Lucic tied the score 4-4 at 6:26 of the third. After defenseman MacKenzie Weegar blocked a shot in the defensive zone, Blake Coleman fed Lucic to score far side off the rush for his seventh of the season.

Stone, playing his first game for the Flames since Feb. 18 because of a lower-back injury, let loose a slap shot from the point that beat goalie Lukas Dostal for the go-ahead goal with 2:38 remaining. It was his sixth.

Stone credited his teammates’ work in winning the offensive-zone draw to get him the puck.

“I had a little bit of time to wind up,” Stone said.

Jacob Markstrom gave up two goals on nine shots in the first period and was replaced by Dan Vladar, who stopped 11 shots over the final two periods to pick up the win.

“Just trying to get a little more jump,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “If we don’t get points we’re out of it right? Trying to make every game meaningful.”

Frank Vatrano had two goals and an assist, Max Comtois had a goal and an assist, and Scott Harrington also scored for Anaheim. Kevin Shattenkirk had two assists and Dostal made 36 saves.

“I thought it was a really great effort by the group,” Ducks coach Dallas Eakins said. “Back-to-back games for us and just an absolutely desperate team over there fighting for a playoff spot — heartbreaker.”

Vatrano gave the Ducks a 1-0 lead at 4:17 of the first with a rising shot that beat Markstrom's glove. It marked the 10th time Calgary gave up a goal on an opponent's first shot of the game — the ninth time against Markstrom.

Markstrom stopped Max Jones on a breakaway with eight minutes remaining in the opening period.

Comtois doubled the lead with 2:10 remaining in the opening period as he converted the rebound of Vatrano's shot.

The Flames scored the next three goals to take the lead.

Mangiapane got Calgary on the scoreboard with a power-play goal 33 seconds into the second period. With Colton White serving a hooking penalty, Mangiapane wired a wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circle over Dostal’s stick for his 16th.

Zadorov got a pass from Jonathan Huberdeau and rifled the puck far side over Dostal's glove for his 10th at 7:12 of the middle period to tie the score.

Ritchie put the Flames ahead 3-2 a little more than a minute later as he tipped Troy Stecher's shot from the point past Dostal. It was his 13th.

Vatrano's second of the night and 20th of the season tied it at 9:16 as he knocked in a rebound over Vladar's glove.

Harrington put the Ducks ahead 4-3 with 7:04 left in the second as he beat Vladar with a point shot through traffic.

• Good Post 1

Game # 77

Flames 3 Hawks 4

Athanasiou scores twice as Blackhawks beat Flames 4-3

ss_20230404_231458561_2238156_default.jp

0:41

Austin Wagner scores goal for Blackhawks

Austin Wagner scores goal for Blackhawks

Updated: 4 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Andreas Athanasiou scored twice, and the Chicago Blackhawks stopped an eight-game slide by topping the desperate Calgary Flames for a 4-3 victory on Tuesday night.

Jujhar Khaira and Austin Wagner also scored for Chicago (25-46-6), which began the night in last place in the NHL. The Blackhawks swept the three-game series against the Flames.

“Obviously we know some teams are fighting for playoff spots and it’s a good way to come into a game and be a heartbreaker,” Athanasiou said. “All the boys want to come out here and play hard and first and foremost try to get the win.”

Noah Hanifin had a goal and an assist for Calgary (36-27-15), which had won four in a row. Tyler Toffoli got his team-leading 34th goal, and Mikael Backlund also scored.

With four games left in the Flames’ regular season, Calgary remains two points back of Winnipeg for the second wild card in the Western Conference. The Jets, who host the Flames on Wednesday, have a game in hand and also own the tiebreaker.

“Frustrating. Turnovers cost us the hockey game, for sure,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “You can see the fatigue. When you don’t have great legs, you just got to keep your game really simple.

Some of us didn’t manage the puck very well.”

Petr Mrazek made 33 stops for Chicago. He improved to 9-21-3.

Jacob Markstrom made 19 saves for Calgary. Starting for the 16th time in the last 17 games, he dropped to 22-21-10.

Tied 2-2 after 40 minutes, Chicago took its third lead of the night 1:42 into the third period. Calgary center Nazem Kadri had the puck stolen off his stick by Athanasiou, who raced past him and finished a give-and-go with Lukas Reichel.

Athanasiou has four goals in his last three games and 18 in his first season with the Blackhawks.

The Blackhawks then opened a 4-2 lead when a bouncing puck hopped past Rasmus Andersson inside the Chicago end, resulting in another 2-on-1. This time, Wagner kept the puck himself, toe-dragging around sliding defenseman MacKenzie Weegar, and firing a shot past Markstrom.

Backlund’s goal at 13:09 that caromed off Chicago defenseman Ian Mitchell got the Flames back within one, but the Blackhawks held on.

TANEV MAKES IMPRESSION IN RETURN

Calgary welcomed veteran defenseman Chris Tanev (upper-body injury) back to its top four on the blue line after he missed six games. Playing on a pairing with Hanifin, Tanev got a roar from the Saddledome crowd in the first period when he threw a heavy open-ice hit on Jason Dickinson.

CHICAGO DOMINANCE

In addition to sweeping the season series, Chicago improved to 9-2-4 in its last 15 games against the Flames.

• Good Post 1

Game # 78

Flames 3 Jets 1

Flames beat Jets 3-1 to keep playoff hopes alive

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- — Andrew Mangiapane and Nikita Zadorov each had a goal and assist and the Calgary Flames beat the Winnipeg Jets 3-1 on Wednesday night to keep their playoff hopes alive.

The Flames (37-27-15) and Jets (43-32-3) each have 89 points, but Winnipeg maintained its hold on the second Western Conference wild-card spot based on victories.

Walker Duehr also scored for the Flames, who lost to Chicago the night before, but are 5-1-0 in their past six games. Jacob Markstrom stopped 33 shots.

“He was great today,” Mangiapane said about Markstrom. “He’s been great down the stretch here. We’ve got three more games, we’re going to need him for all three of those. He’s a big part of our team and I’m happy to see how he’s playing right now.”

The Jets have four games remaining, one more than the Flames.

“We knew the game was must-win for us and it was a big them for them too, but you can feel it and the crowd was into it,” Markstrom said. “A great team effort and a great win.”

Kyle Connor scored for the Jets and Connor Hellebuyck made 32 saves.

The Jets play another crucial game Saturday when they host the Nashville Predators, who have 86 points and five games remaining.

“We are still above them. We have a game in hand. We’re still on the inside,” Jets center Pierre-Luc Dubois said. “But, of course, this team, we would have loved to win it and that is the objective. But we are still ahead of them. We still have one game in hand. We could be in a worse position right now, but we’ve got to look forward to the next game.”

Mangiapane gave Calgary a 2-1 lead at 6:06 of the second with his 17th of the season.

Zadorov sealed the victory when Hellebuyck couldn’t grab a high shot with 9:20 left in the third.

“If we didn’t win tonight or if you lose in overtime or a shootout, that’s a big swing, too, so all we did was close the gap,” Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said.

• Good Post 1

Game # 79

Flames 2 Nucks 3 OT

Kuzmenko lifts Canucks to 3-2 win over Flames in SO

Updated: 2 hours ago

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- — Andrei Kuzmenko scored in the shootout and the Vancouver Canucks beat the Calgary Flames 3-2 on Saturday night.

Elias Pettersson and Cole McWard — with his first NHL point — scored for the Canucks, who won after giving up a 2-0 lead in the third period. Thatcher Demko made 41 saves.

“When Calgary put some pushes on us, I just saw some backups,” Canucks coach Rick Tocchet said. “We got to get that out of here. You got to lock it down, you can’t just rely on (Demko). He played great tonight. ... Good teams lock it down and we got to get that mentality around here.”

Elias Lindholm and Nazem Kadri scored in the third period for the Flames to force extra time. Jacob Markstrom stopped 31 shots.

Calgary outshot Vancouver 30-16 over the second and third periods.

“Tough first period, and last two periods we were dominating,” Lindholm said. “Had a lot of chances to score some more goals and I think we could have put this game away earlier than what happened out there and the shootout, and they won. ... Tough loss, we just got to regroup and focus on Monday.”

Calgary pulled one point behind Winnipeg for the second wild card in the Western Conference. The Flames have two games left on their regular-season schedule while the Jets have three.

In the tiebreaker, Kuzmenko skated wide of the Flames' net, then fired a shot up into the top corner to secure the win.

McWard, who made his NHL debut Thursday after signing a two-year, entry-level deal with Vancouver on Tuesday after completing his second season at Ohio State University, scored his first NHL goal 9:03 into the game.

“It's been a quick turnaround,” McWard said. “It's been an awesome experience so far. Really excited for the rest of the year and trying to continue whatever's going on. ... My parents got to watch this game so that was awesome they got to see that one. Definitely happy I got to score in front of them.”

Pettersson scored his 38th of the season on a short-handed breakaway a little more than four minutes later to put the Canucks up 2-0.

Vancouver now has 15 short-handed goals this season, including 13 since Rick Tocchet took over as head coach on Jan. 22.

“I think we came out flying in the first period. I thought we played a decent period. The shortie could have killed us, a soft play,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “And I think we slowly took over in a lot of areas. And then we couldn’t solve Demko. We fought back. Can’t ask much more than that.”

Lindholm got the Flames on the scoreboard 38 seconds into the third with his 22nd, and Kadri beat Demko for his 24th at 6:07 to tie the score.

“We know where they are (in the standings), so we know they were going to come out hard and we wanted to match that,” Pettersson said. “And I think we did a really good job.  

• Good Post 1

Game # 80

Novak lifts Predators past Flames 3-2 in shootout

ss_20230411_002254063_224344748_default.

0:26

Tommy Novak's wrist shot wins it for the Predators in a shootout

Tommy Novak punches in a nice wrist shot for the Nashville Predators in a shootout, topping the Calgary Flames 3-2.

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Tommy Novak scored the deciding goal in the shootout and the Nashville Predators beat the Calgary Flames 3-2 on Monday night to preserve their playoff hopes.

Zach Sanford and Egor Afanasyev also scored for the Predators, who have two home games remaining in the regular season — on Thursday against Minnesota and Friday against Colorado.

“I’m not really sure exactly the scenarios, but we’ve just got to keep our foot on the pedal and try to win two games and give ourselves the best chance,” Novak said.

Juuse Saros stopped 42 shots through overtime and three of four in the shootout.

“He means everything to this group,” Novak said. “He’s amazing every night. Literally every night, he keeps us in every game. He gives us a chance to win even in games we’re getting kind of streamrolled a little bit sometimes.”

Troy Stecher and Mikael Backlund scored for the Flames, and Jacob Markstrom finished with 27 saves.

Jonathan Huberdeaul scored on the first attempt of the shootout for the Flames. Cody Glass tied it in the third round for the Predators, and Novak won it in the fourth round.

The Winnipeg Jets beating the San Jose Sharks earlier Monday meant both Calgary and Nashville needed the win at the Saddledome to stay mathematically alive for the postseason.

Calgary’s 17 overtime and shootout losses is the most in the NHL.

“We felt like we were in almost every game this year and we just didn’t manage to get that goal when we needed a goal,” Flames defenseman Rasmus Andersson said.

“You take half the OT losses we’ve lost this year, shootout, and we’re in (the playoffs) by a few points. It’s a do league. It’s not a what-if league. Coming home tonight and waking up tomorrow, that’s when you’re going to realize that we’re out."

Flames defenseman MacKenzie Weegar couldn’t convert a pair of chances and Andersson couldn’t hit an open top-corner target in overtime.

“Too bad. Thought we deserved better. Good chances in overtime. Fight back in the third to tie it. Tough,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said.

Nashville led 1-0 after the opening period. Afanasyev scored the first NHL goal of his career at 5:49. Predators forward Mark Jankowski chased the puck behind Calgary’s net. The former Flames player fed the 22-year-old Afanasyev in the slot to sweep the puck in far side.

Stecher tied it at 7:41 of the second period within seconds of Calgary killing off a Huberdeau tripping minor. With Huberdeau providing a screen, the defenseman threaded a rising shot through traffic over Saros’ shoulder.

Sanford put the Predators ahead 2-1 at 4:02 of the third. Markstrom made an initial save on Glass, but dragged the puck into the crease with his right pad for Sanford to bang into the net.

Backlund tied it at 8:03 as he finished a tick-tack-toe passing play from Huberdeau and Andrew Mangiapane and threaded a shot under Saros’ right armpit.

SWEEPING

Nashville won all three meetings in the season series against Calgary.

• Good Post 1

Just now, Brewin Flames said:

Calgary’s 17 overtime and shootout losses is the most in the NHL.

“We felt like we were in almost every game this year and we just didn’t manage to get that goal when we needed a goal,” Flames defenseman Rasmus Andersson said.

“You take half the OT losses we’ve lost this year, shootout, and we’re in (the playoffs) by a few points. It’s a do league. It’s not a what-if league. Coming home tonight and waking up tomorrow, that’s when you’re going to realize that we’re out."

And i somewhat blame sutter for that...yes his tight defensive style is alright, but this guy fails to realize that you gotta open it up, goals win games.

31 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

And i somewhat blame sutter for that...yes his tight defensive style is alright, but this guy fails to realize that you gotta open it up, goals win games.

Yeah...still I'd be happy to have Sutter back next year with the same lineup playing the same Sutter defence because I doubt we'd have the same bad luck as this year...watching the games Calgary plays well most games just bad luck this year and bad luck having Johnny Hockey leave causing Tkachuk to go too...I'm confident next year will be better...