Sabres beat Ottawa 4-1 in opener

Buffalo Rick

I was impressed with Powers and his defensive game.  He made some very good defensive plays that one does not really notice unless you take a close look.  His presence in front of the net when Ottawa gained possession was the type of play we need from a stay home type defenseman. But he is willing to pinch and pick his spots.  He looked like a seasoned veteran defensively in game 1 of his NHL career.  I think we made a good pick with him.  Paterka got a goal, the first, as a new member up from Rochester.  Its only one game so I know its not much but its a good win on opening night when many expected us to be overmatched by this Ottawa team.  I noticed with Ottawa a defense first, stay home mentality in this game.  I thought they layed back far too often.  Did not try to go offense , were totally committed to defense even down 2-1 for much of the game.   Ill take the win.  Florida now comes in and we know that is a step up in class from Ottawa.  Yikes

• Like 2