Power, 7 yrs, $58.4 million

Brewin Flames

Power signs 7-year, $58.45 million contract with Sabres

Defenseman to make $8.35 million annually beginning next season

power_101123

Owen Power signed a seven-year, $58.45 million contract with the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday. The contract begins next season and has an average annual value of $8.35 million.

The 20-year-old defenseman was the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NHL Draft. He was a finalist for the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie of the year last season when he had 35 points (four goals, 31 assists) in 79 games.

He led all rookies in average time on ice (23:48) and ranked fifth among all NHL skaters in total even-strength ice time (1,634:47). He is entering the final season of a three-year, entry-level contract.

Power’s signing came two days after Buffalo signed defenseman Rasmus Dahlin to an eight-year, $88 million contract ($11 million AAV), which also begins next season. Dahlin was the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.

"What’s been very clear with our conversations with Owen Power from the beginning is this is where he wants to be,” Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams said Monday.

“So, I’m open, but obviously when you have a player that you feel is a critical piece of your core at his age, to have him in his prime years, yeah, of course, we'd look to the longer side.

But it doesn’t mean that ... it has to work for both sides, and I’m open to making sure we're putting ourselves and the player in the best position moving forward. Owen certainly knows that, and we'll keep talking about it."

Buffalo was fifth in the Atlantic Division last season (42-33-7), finishing one point behind the Florida Panthers for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Eastern Conference.

Seems to be the new norm to give big fat contracts to young Dmen that still haven't proven anything. So Power gets a 7-yr/$8+ AAV for having scored... six goals in his entire carrer so far. Ok I'm simplifying and provoking a bit here but where the Dahlin deal is a very good one for both the Swede and the Sabres, this one is a bit more doubtful. I understand the organization to be quite in a hurry to lock down longterm their two top Dmen in the future but I'm really not sold on Power and this deal might turn into a Nurse/Jones one. Again, time will tell...

• Like 1