Habs of the future

I really like the way this team is trending. Marty St Louis has done a great job of steadily guiding the young talent and their depth on defense seems to be superior. With a little luck on the injury side they could be competing next year to make the playoffs in a very tough Atlantic division. What say you?

6 hours ago, Habs2026 said:

I really like the way this team is trending. Marty St Louis has done a great job of steadily guiding the young talent and their depth on defense seems to be superior. With a little luck on the injury side they could be competing next year to make the playoffs in a very tough Atlantic division. What say you?

I too like the way the Habs are being built, however, and I could be wrong of course, I think it will take more than just into next year before we see the Canadiens compete, much less acquire, a playoff position.

You said it yourself: The Atlantic Division is quite deep and it will take much more than just putting together a bunch of talented young players to succeed....see Ottawa Senators, see Buffalo Sabres, see Detroit Red Wings...you get the idea...
The Canadiens still have to learn to play together, what to do in the various game situations, and yea, STILL add to their talent pool and come up with a legit number 1 goalie.

With MSL at the helm behind the bench, I have no doubt those players are learning to play the right way, but, as you know, this whole thing is a "process".
Some teams try to cheat a bit and skip parts of the process...oftentimes blows up in their front office faces.
Others, like the Habs, take it every step at a time.....and in doing that, they take longer to get to where they want to be, but once there, should be sustainable.
I just think next season is too soon still.

1 hour ago, Habs2026 said:

Hi, what they do with their first round picks will tell us more.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e0df81525010865a13a13d664c82d36e.jpg

True.
And, they DO have a decent draft board to work with the next two years.

Of course, even this may change depending on whether they continue to stockpile picks or trade some away from some "now" players.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I expect them to move at least one pick for a young player, if there is one they like available. They have done it the last two drafts. For what it's worth there are rumors about Stamkos going there. It kind of makes sense if he is going to move. He would help reinforce the culture Marty is installing

In 2004, months before Tampa won their first cup, I went to the Arena with tickets I had purchased in advance. Outside, DURING THIS CHAMPIONSHIP YEAR, I could have gotten tickets from a scalper for 5 bucks.