Flames review 2024

PRESEASON OUTLOOK Kind of a mixed bag. Some thought they had peaked a few years ago, others thought they were going to rebound after the Sutter fiasco which was his last year. I thought they were very likely a playoff team and would have a decent bounce back season.

FINAL RECORD 38-39-5 81 points 5th in Pacific, 17 points out of a playoff spot

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR For a team that added Huberdeau and Weegar to bolster a sagging power play, theirs was God awful even after a coaching change. They ranked 5th from the bottom in power play success, and 3rd in the league in slap shot pct among all shots. This team was extraordinarily soft and did very little to earn the greasy goals that win a lot of games.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR Well they won the opener against Winnipeg 5-3 to start 1-0, there is that. Truth is they won 4 straight in early february including beating the Isles and Boston to run their record to 25-22-5 and with Vegas floundering it appeared they were kinda sorta in the race.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR Very early they got in a hole that they never were able to dig out of. After the opener they went 1-7-1 including 5 losses to non playoff teams by a score of 21-8 to also rans. They also faded very badly down the stretch going 5-10-0 to end the season.

WHAT WENT RIGHT Weegar is established as a flat out stud on defense scoring 20 goals on the back end and playing 23 minutes a night. Kadri showed up and was nearly a point a game center although he seems to have softened his game a bit. Sharangovich who came from the Devils had a surprise 31 goal year. Coleman had an even bigger surprise year, scoring 30 which is just under what he had scored in the two previous seasons combined. Andersson and Hanifin were solid. Connor Zary had a nice season to establish himself. They traded Lindholm and Hanifin for futures, same with Tanev. Markstyrom had a solid season in net.

WHAT WENT WRONG Huberdeau was meh and an awful minus 29. Vladar faded very badly late and is being pushed by Wolf out of the way. Mangiapane has went from 35 to 17 and now 14 goals and looked bad most of the season. Coronato is considered a sure fire top six winger but was pretty bad last year. They ran the top three defense to death because the bottom three were pretty bad. Lots of kids got a chance to play but did poorly and didnt establish themselves. Dube was awful. 

FREE AGENTS Kylington is an UFA but has not really done much. nobody else of significance here.

Big deal, the Flames have two picks in each of the first four rounds which is a nice way to work on a rebuild.

TOP PROSPECTS Love Wolf in net, he has probably repalced Vladar and if they can manage to trade Markstrom he will be the 1A going forward. Pelletier slipped a bit but has potential, same as Dube. Coronato got lost in the shuffle but still has middle six written all over him. Pachal and Miromanov look to have cracked the bottom pair on defense with a bit of upside. Jeremie Poirier is an offensive defenseman whose defense so far is dreadful. 

Lots of B or B minus prospects, Wolf being the top standout among them for the coming year. They have a pretty decent group still in the OHL who are turning pro this year and have a couple of years before they are in the conversation.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS They threw in the towel early, agressively dealt Lindholm, Zadorov, Tanev and Hanifin, will they build off what they have or do the same with Sherangovich and others this year? Can and will they trade Markstrom and his remaining two years at 6 million per? The kids did little to establish themselves in the NHL, many getting 30-50 games, was that just a breaking in period or is it a sign of alarm? How long of a leash does coach Ryan Huska have before he is replaced?

I dont hate this team, i thought they were going to bounce back some last year and i was very wrong. I dont see them making a splash in free agency or trades, i can see them trading Markstrom to a team starving for goaltending like Detroit or Columbus but the adds likely wont make up for the losses. They proved last year that it was not all Sutters fault.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

This season proved that it was all downhill after firing Sutter and Treliving and I've hated the direction of this team ever since...the only thing that can make things a little better is if they somehow draft Iginla son this year...other than that I don't see Calgary being able to do anything right anymore and I blame the owners for everything now...

I may have a different thought on a few things....

Markstrom was decentm, but i am sure the constant trade rumors got to him...

Vladar had some rough nights, WOLF is waiting.

Huberdough got his coach fired, then no showed, Never though Huska was the right guy, wanted Mitch Loive, but what do i know.

Time to let Kylington go...draft a d-man with one, of the 2 first rounders. Do not draft T Iginla, he will never be able to live up to his father.

Not the he wont have a solid NHL career, but if he's not the second coming of Jarome.....

2 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

This season proved that it was all downhill after firing Sutter and Treliving and I've hated the direction of this team ever since...the only thing that can make things a little better is if they somehow draft Iginla son this year...other than that I don't see Calgary being able to do anything right anymore and I blame the owners for everything now...

This season proved that the game had passed sutter by, that's why he's unemployed and not really even in the mix for vacant coaching spots. JMO

Loaded with picks, time to restock the cupboard and build from within.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

I may have a different thought on a few things....

Markstrom was decentm, but i am sure the constant trade rumors got to him...

Vladar had some rough nights, WOLF is waiting.

Huberdough got his coach fired, then no showed, Never though Huska was the right guy, wanted Mitch Loive, but what do i know.

Time to let Kylington go...draft a d-man with one, of the 2 first rounders. Do not draft T Iginla, he will never be able to live up to his father.

Not the he wont have a solid NHL career, but if he's not the second coming of Jarome.....

This season proved that the game had passed sutter by, that's why he's unemployed and not really even in the mix for vacant coaching spots. JMO

Loaded with picks, time to restock the cupboard and build from within.

Now watch Treliving lure Sutter out to Toronto😂

• Haha 1