HAWKS-CANUCKS TOMORROW NIGHT!

Chicago Hawkie

Hawks-Canucks: THe game within a game  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the biggest factor in this game?

• Team discipline, or lack thereof, on both sides
    • Crawford vs. Luongo ... who will be better
    • The Sedin twins
    • Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa getting under the Hawks' skin
    • Other (Please specify)

Am I looking forward to this or what??  :D

What will happen?  Will it be a cleanly-played game or a parade to the penalty box?  How will the Hawks deal with the Sedin twins, or with perennial pests (at least for the Hawks) Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa?  Who will win the goalie war?

Stay tuned!

I'm not overly confident our team will show up tomorrow nite. The only reason it was a blowout for us vs the Blue Jackets tonite, 6-2, was mainly because Bobrovsky played a terrible game, letting in squeakers and kicking 1 into his own net, etc.  Imo, the CBJ outplayed us in many respects, esp. in the 1st period, they were sharper, quicker on the pucks, had more aggressive forechecking, & keeping our PP impotent.  Besides all of this, the CBJ should be one of the easier teams for us to beat in the league.

The Hawks on the other hand, a totally different story. Unless they have a totally lackadaisical nite, all their feet fall asleep, or they all coincidentally injure themselves in practise tomorrow, it's going to be a tough game for us tomorrow nite, any way you look at it. 

It will be an interesting goalie war, as both are good goalies, Lu has been playing really well for us, only letting in at most 2 goals per game in the last 10 games or so. He is on a hot streak.

Imo, the biggest factor though in this game, is the depth of the Hawks compared to the Nucks...which, you really can't compare. Just about anyone on the Hawks' team that has the puck land on their blade, you are holding your breath when they shoot. And besides, this, they have the sharp shooters!  Toewes, Kane, Hossa, Pirri, Sharp, Saad, Shaw....not to mention their wicked defense: Keith, Leddy, Oduya, Rozsival, Seabrook.....they can just come in waves, no matter who's on the ice.  Let's face it, we are just not in that ELITE league...they are atop the Central Division for a reason, & deservedly so.  It would not surprise me if they win the Cup again this year, although the Blues are giving them a run for their money, not to mention the Pacific Div. teams.

This might be a good fight to the finish type of game tomorrow, OR, it could be a total blowout against the Nucks as they're badly defeated & humiliated.  We shall see!  :o

• Like 1

@goalnut3133

Great post!  :D   I am surprised about Columbus, but I think they played above their heads last year.

The Hawks have been doing better as of late rolling out four lines (except for maybe those bad games vs. Nashville and Colorado), and that was a Scotty Bowman-era trademark, notably with the Red Wings of the late 1990s.  Now we're seeing that here in Chicago, with Scotty in the Hawks' management system and the son of Scotty as the GM.

I think the Hawks and Caucks still have a hot rivalry (SportsNet Central and SportsTalk Live are still really talkling this one up), and that may spur the Canucks on tonight, too.  The Blues, however, seem to be trying to edge the Canucks out as #1 Hawks rival ... the Hawks haven't beaten the Blues this season yet but instead have been singing them ...

That being said ... I can't wait!  :)

Umm ... I'm not liking where this is going right now

Vancouver is up 1-0 because the Hawks, who are supposed to be the least-penalized team in the league, can't stay the heck out of the box.  Roberto Luongo is having a good game thus far, and Ryan Kessler put the Canucks up 1-0 while Brandon Saad and Andrew Shaw were sitting in the box being mocked by the GREEN MEN:o

Hmm...this is much more even on the Nucks end than I expected! And I am very surprised the Hawks have not scored yet after 2 periods!  Keith has been playing great though defensively, knocking Burrows off a few times from any good scoring chances, & yet not taking any penalties...textbook D-work. Good job. (Not that Burrows has been a goal-scoring fiend this season...just 3 points in 12 games so far...holy doodles!)

Oh yes, I am quite surprised too about our D this game...it actually exists! Esp. against the Hawks' barrage of shots! I haven't seen them play D so well in quite a while. Torts must have really been on them in this regard, in prepping for this match-up...haha!

Yah, it's usually us with our typical parade to the penalty box! Even Hank has been in there way too much this season!  Kassian, Bieksa & Sestito (Tostito) have somehow managed to be disciplined so far & avoided sitting in the box. Some of our biggest sinners! lol.

• Like 1

A very good game, indeed, Hawkie!  Crawford was outstanding!  I haven't seen such valiant attempts & getting good shots like that on net in succession for ...geeze, I dunno how long!   :wacko:

Umm...a very...interesting...sig, bud!  Ohh the humiliation of it all!  :rolleyes:

Until we meet up again on Dec. 20th!  (when we lose to you again!)  :o

• Like 1

@goalnut3133

It looks good on you ... :lol:

I've lost my share of these kinds of bets years ago, so I've been there ...

I was holding my breath near the end of the game as the Canucks peppered Crow with shots.  Some of those could really have gone in.  The Hawks were just fortunate to have won a game where IMO we didn't quite have it.

Lol...actually I don't mind so much supporting the Hawks, they are a team that deserves it...when all their gears are functioning full steam ahead...holy man, LOOK OUT! Sniper alert!!  

Keith was brilliant last nite too.... I also have really come to respect Toewes a lot, since watching the finals with BOS, same with Seabrook (our hometown boy too, not too far from where I live...lol).  Capt. Serious is so mature for his age, it's scary  :P . But what a leader & the right one.  And Kane, he doesn't skate...he walks on water basically, making his thread around 3 guys that look like pylons.....just crazy!

We showed up as a 'good' team last nite, but it's the GREAT teams that, even when they're down, have what it takes to dig down deep & come back....2 goals in a row.  Their depth is just part of the magic. And they have the grit to win (ie. Cup).

Now, if it was Boston, no way in h*ll I'm ever wearing their siggy!!   :angry:  All bets are off then! LOL!!  

• Like 1

@goalnut3133

Toews is  a lot like Yzerman, whom he grew up cheering for, so it's not mere coincidence that Toews wears #19.  That's also one reason why Toews is my favorite player - Yzie was my favorite when he was still playing and I was still living in Michigan.

The way the Hawks scored those two goals ... that was amazing!  :D

And don't worry ... it's very unlikely I'd cheer for Boston against your team ... unless there's something in it for the Hawks (probably not).  :lol:

@goalnut3133

From what I read of the hockey picks threads lately, it's unlikely I'd cheer for LA against your team, either.  :lol:

I think the Hawks are breaking their "nemesis curse" against the Oilers.  I'm watching this on DVR right now, but a coworker of mine already told me the Hawks won.  :)

Haha, you're a good bud!  ;)  Yah boy am I ever hating the Kings right now...not that I ever liked them..one of our big nemesis too!

Boy did you guys ever win over the Oilys...a blowout! Though I didn't see it all.  I can't believe that they have been your nemesis? I don't think they'll be giving you much problem these days!  Though now, they've got the "Bryz" in net, to make some 'humongous big' saves for them...lol.  That should be interesting to watch how this affects the team, boy did they need help in goal! 

PS-- you need to bring some duct tape to work after a game for your co-workers..haha!

@goalnut3133

Two seasons ago, the Hawks lost some really ugly games to the Oilers, one of those was 8-4, I think, and the other was 9-2 or some ridiculous score like that.  :lol:   The Hawks couldn't do anything right in either of those games.  Last season, the Oilers beat the Hawks to give them two losses in a row after that amazing points streak to start the season.

"PS-- you need to bring some duct tape to work after a game for your co-workers..haha!"

I'll keep that in mind, especially with one of my coworkers.  It's like we're brother and sister and he always has to pick on me.   :lol:   It's all good-natured, though.  :D