LIGHTNING sign, recall defenseman JEAN-PHILIPPE COTE

HockeyLady

Now THIS is interesting.

I have yet to see, believe it or not, JP Cote play at the NHL level....well, ok, he was up for a "cup of coffee" with the Canadiens years ago...hardly much of a sample size.

Granted, Cote's play really isn't going to set the NHL world on fire, however, he DOES possess a quality that I find has been lacking in the TB Lightning in recent weeks: NASTINESS!

As long as Cote can keep himself from going overboard and not costing his team in regards to taking stupid penalties, his hard brand of hockey, intimidation, and attitude will be VERY welcome on the team.

Right now, only Radko Gudas seems to be playing the kind of hard, rough hockey that the very best of playoff bound teams seem to play on a nightly basis. 

Will be nice to get Gudas some help in that area....and because Cote is a defenseman, it will be even SWEETER to have opposing forwards not only have to worry about Gudas as they go through the neutral zone and in the corners in the offensive zone, but worry about Cote as well.

If JP can do his thing at the NHL level like he did at the AHL level, maybe he can help fire up other D-men who SHOULD be playing a tough style as well, such as Eric Brewer (very good hitter...when he wants to be) and Andrej Sustr.

I always thought Keith Aulie would be a very good 'nasty' type D-man in his own zone, but thus far, he hasn't...and his injuries haven't helped his cause either.

Mr. Cote, here is your chance!