Ottawa Senators a year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON OUTLOOK

After a solid season and a spirited post season run they were picked by most everyone to make the playoffs and possibly go deep into the Eastern Conference. Daniel Alfredsson, the long time captain had moved on replaced by young sniper Bobby Ryan.

FINAL RECORD 37-31-14 88 points 10th in the East, missed playoffs.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON

None. They stumbled out of the gate losing 3 of their first 4 and them never gaining traction, losing 1 winning 1 for the rest of the season.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON

A six game losing streak in mid-March which erased all hope of getting back into the race. It included an insulting 8-4 loss to the Rangers.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR:

The Senators went 3-10 in the second game of back to back nights.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Erik Karlsson (20-54-74) had a great bounce back year. Veyeran center Jason Spezza (23-43-66) did as well. Kyle Turris (26-32) had his long awaited breakthrough season. Clarke Macarthur had 24 goals. Patrick Wiercioch and Mark Methot were solid on defense. Ales Hemsky came over from Edmonton and had an immediate impact with 17 points in 20 games.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Starting with the goalies, Craig Anderson and his 3.00 GAA and his equally inept backup Robin Lehner (3.06) were just plain awful for much of the season. Bobby Ryan was not bad with 23 goals but did not live up to the hype. Most of the defense was non existent. The team played like a bunch of individuals and coach Paul McLean never seemed to have them in check. Mika Zibinijad was shipped to the minors not because of his play but because of his partying. Milan Michalek fell off the face of the earth. Kids such as Colin Greening and Eric Condra were given chances to step up and did little to justify the teams faith.

MVP  Karlsson was amazing. The best offensive force on the blue line in the game.

UFAs

Ales Hemsky

Milan Michalek

Matt Kassian

OFFSEASON OUTLOOK

The Senators have a decision to make with Spezza who may not return. Ales Hemsky and Spezza played well together and the two of them will return together or move on elsewhere together. Can Anderson bounce back?

To be fair, I didn't think they'd do well this year. I called them overrated. But most attributed that to bias.

Which it totally was.

I expected them to do better, honestly. Never been a big Bobby Ryan fan, but he's good and I did like the MacArthur signing. Anderson always seems to have this "one on, one off" approach to seasons, so they'll probably do well next year.

To be fair, I didn't think they'd do well this year. I called them overrated. But most attributed that to bias.

Which it totally was.

I expected them to do better, honestly. Never been a big Bobby Ryan fan, but he's good and I did like the MacArthur signing. Anderson always seems to have this "one on, one off" approach to seasons, so they'll probably do well next year.

The whispers already are that Spezza may be moved. He and Hemsky seemed to mesh nicely, Spezza had a good season and does not deserve the blame for everything collapsing on the Senators. Lots of questions for this club, mostly centering on deciding which kids can play or not.