Rules Question: Broken goalie stick

Jason

I was watching a St. Louis Blues game, and the goalkeeper's stick was broken. A forward gave him his skater stick and went to the bench to get a new one for himself. I was wondering if he would be able to get a goalie stick from the bench and immediately skate back to the goalie to trade sticks. I know that Rule 10.3 on NHL.com in the stick section stated that a two minute penalty if a skater is involved in a play with a goalie stick, but would he be allowed to carry it straight to the goalie? Thank you in advance for solving this question.

I know that Rule 10.3 on NHL.com in the stick section stated that a two minute penalty if a skater is involved in a play with a goalie stick, but would he be allowed to carry it straight to the goalie? 

@Jason

if i remember correctly, a player can go to the bench for a new goalie stick, but as you say, can't be involved in the play.  and i think he has to hand it to the goalie, not slide or throw it.

edit:  yeah, here:

10.4 Broken Stick – Goalkeeper - A goalkeeper may continue to play with a broken stick until a stoppage of play or until he has one legally handed to him by a teammate. The teammate must hand the stick to him. He cannot throw it or slide it to the goalkeeper (this includes situations where the goalkeeper has lost his stick and a teammate is trying to return it to him). For a violation of this rule, a minor penalty for throwing the stick shall be assessed to the offending player (no penalty to the goalkeeper for receiving the stick).

A goalkeeper whose stick is broken or illegal may not go to the players’ bench for a replacement but must receive his stick from a teammate.  A goalkeeper may participate in the play using a skater's stick until such time as he is legally provided with a replacement goalkeeper’s stick.

For an infraction of this rule, a minor penalty shall be imposed on the goalkeeper.

A goalkeeper whose stick is broken or illegal may not go to the players’ bench for a replacement but must receive his stick from a teammate. A goalkeeper may participate in the play using a skater's stick until such time as he is legally provided with a replacement goalkeeper’s stick.

What an eff'd up rule. So a player can go get the goalie a stick (but not play with it), but the goalie can not go to the bench himself and get his own stick (not that he should because that would leave an empty net), but why in the world would the rules stipulate that???

I mean its like saying that when a d or forward breaks a stick, they can not get a replacement on their own. A teammate has to go get one for them. The hypocrisy is so bad that if a another player was to get a stick for another non-goalie player, its illegal (ie. you can't have two sticks in your hand). But its okay to have a goalie stick and a positional stick- just as long as you are not involved in the play? Really??? Boggles the mind. 

Archived